A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Marple Sixth Form College: ambitious to be an outstanding college within its community, and for its community.

Linked Events

• Northumberland Arms Public Meeting: February 28, 2017
  • Northumberland Arms Share Offer Public Meeting: July 01, 2017
  • Northumberland Arms Share Offer Closes: September 30, 2017

Author Topic: Northumberland Arms at Risk!  (Read 3968 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Northumberland Arms at Risk!
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2017, 09:50:36 PM »
The Northumberland Share Offer has been extended to 30th September.

The total on-line is growing nicely but still needs a big push if they are going to make it:

http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/the-northumberland-arms-community-society-limited/
Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website

andrewbowden

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2017, 03:36:30 PM »
They have had a cheque from me too.  It's well worth looking at the proposals.  The plan is, when in profit, to pay interest in the shares.  Also there is a government scheme where you can claim something like half the money back from the initial share purchase.  Comes in the form of a credit to your tax bill.

Plus you help save an important community asset!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2017, 03:00:29 PM »
The Northumberland Arms Share offer is going really well but there is only a week left and they still have a way to go.

I've put my money where my mouth is and invested £1,000 in shares today.

I've since been told that the best option is to do it on-line via the link below, as then your contribution will be considered for match-funding by Crowdfunder:

http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/the-northumberland-arms-community-society-limited

Alternatively, you can send a cheque by following the instructions here: https://www.thenorthumberlandarms.com/business-plan-share-offer

Note that the crowd funding page shows the amount pledged on-line only and doesn't include cheque payments. I'm advised as of this morning the situation is £125,550 in share applications have been pledged, and they have applied for £100,000 of Crowd Match Funding from Big Society Capital. This gives a total of £225,550 against the target of £296,000.

So they've broken the back of it but need a big push and another £70,450 to finish by 22 September! Over half of this needs to be pledged via Crowdfunder in order to reach the £100,000 match.
Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2017, 05:45:47 AM »
The Northumberland Arms Share Offer is now open:

http://www.thenorthumberlandarms.co.uk/

It closes on 17th September.

Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2017, 07:46:28 AM »
Apparently there is a delay in getting the Thumb's Share Offer open whilst they await Community Share Standard Mark accreditation - they ask that people please be patient, they should be able to accept applications in a few days time.
Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2017, 06:36:34 AM »
Robinson's has accepted the community offer for the Northumberland Arms and there is a public meeting to launch the share offer on Saturday 1st July at 3pm in the Methodist Church near to the pub. Congratulations to the team of volunteers that has achieved this!

Read more on their web site: http://www.thenorthumberlandarms.co.uk/

Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website

andrewbowden

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2017, 03:25:57 PM »
I'm going to have disagree with you Andrew, about the excellent pubs in Marple. There is Oldknow's and The Beer Factory but they have only been opened a matter of months and is it any coincidence that both these pubs were converted from shop premises by enterprising owners and are free from any brewery ties?  But where are the others?

Well personally I would say the Norfolk, the Hatters and I have a soft spot for the Ring O'Bells (a good pub does not have to be free of brewery ties.)  The Midland and the Navigation are certainly not bad pubs.    I would not hesitate to have a night out in any of them, although if I was chosing the Samuel Oldknow, Beer Factory and Hatters would be top of the list.

Indeed the only pub I would be reluctant to go in again would be the Bulls Head as it stands.

amazon

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2017, 07:16:16 PM »
Amazon,

If you would try and follow the thread, you would know that Henrietta's comments about The Bull's Head, is very relevant to the content that has been previously posted.
i stand corrected .

Hoffnung

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2017, 05:36:08 PM »
Amazon,

If you would try and follow the thread, you would know that Henrietta's comments about The Bull's Head, is very relevant to the content that has been previously posted.

amazon

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2017, 08:58:07 PM »
If you mean the Bull's Head on Market Street, time was when it had a very bad rep. When I attained official drinking age it was on the list of pubs I was forbidden by Father to go into and as late as the late 1980s and for a good few years on from that, the police had it marked down as the  haunt of the local villains (per the policeman who investigated my break-in and was a friend of Father).

That sort of reputation sticks however the tenants/managers try to improve matters. I still know people who won't go into the Bull's Head including people considerably younger than I.
Whats this to do with the Nortumberland arms at compstall .

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2017, 03:28:37 PM »
I went to the Bulls Head at Christmas for the first time since moving near it.  It was a strange place.  Lights were barely on, just a few people crowded round the bar and it didn't feel very comfortable. 
If you mean the Bull's Head on Market Street, time was when it had a very bad rep. When I attained official drinking age it was on the list of pubs I was forbidden by Father to go into and as late as the late 1980s and for a good few years on from that, the police had it marked down as the  haunt of the local villains (per the policeman who investigated my break-in and was a friend of Father).

That sort of reputation sticks however the tenants/managers try to improve matters. I still know people who won't go into the Bull's Head including people considerably younger than I.
Don't look for the light at the end of the tunnel -  stomp along there and turn the bl**dy thing on yourself!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2017, 12:16:05 PM »
The Northumberland Arms Community Pub Project Ltd has updated their web site with the latest info:

http://thethumblocal.weebly.com/how-do-we-stop-redevelopment.html

The next meeting is mid-April, date and venue to be confirmed.
Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website

Hoffnung

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 10:33:31 AM »
I'm going to have disagree with you Andrew, about the excellent pubs in Marple. There is Oldknow's and The Beer Factory but they have only been opened a matter of months and is it any coincidence that both these pubs were converted from shop premises by enterprising owners and are free from any brewery ties?  But where are the others?   

andrewbowden

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 05:11:00 PM »
Okay - it was a poor choice of wording.  But if it hadn't have been for the uproar about pub redevelopment, would the community empowerment section of said act have been included?  Sorry but I seriously doubt it.

Organisations like CAMRA have been campaigning for better pub protection for years.  If they hadn't been, would the coalition government have put that in for the sake of saving some village greens and so on?  I seriously doubt it.  Pubs are the ones that are under threat the most from corporate greed.  And remain so.

And no, by itself it won't save pubs.  It will just save some pubs.  But if it puts stumbling blocks in the way, then I am for that.  If it hinders developers closing down thriving pubs because they want to convert them to housing or supermarkets, then I'm all for it.  And I know several pubs that have been saved because of this act.  Many weren't saved by community groups actually buying them, but were saved because the community was embolded by the powers it has, to fight and fight hard.

The pubs themselves have to fight too.  Pub operators need to adapt and change else they won't thrive.  You can't keep doing things in a way that is stuck in the past.  But there are plenty of excellent pubs out there that deserve a future.  Indeed Marple has many excellent pubs - good ones are certainly not thin on the ground here.

Hoffnung

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 11:16:54 AM »
Andrew,

The Localism Act wasn't introduced into legislation to protect pubs. It was introduced as a catalyst to seemingly devolve power from the centre and implement the then coalition government's 'vision' of 'Big Society.'

Pubs were just tagged on at the end of it, in fact it mentions, ...' Shops, pubs and playing fields...'

If it was introduced to protect pubs then it has been ne of the worst failures in legislative history, as they are closing at the rate of 27 per week. The reason pubs are closing is that (with a few exceptions) they can't make any money.  The business model for a tied pub now, is outdated and belongs in the 1960s, pre all the other distractions that people now have. The offer from pubs in general is just not good enough, but publicans still cling to it.

It is a pleasure to visit a good pub, nobody who is a drinker would argue with that, but they are thin on the ground these days and they are going to be thinner.