Certified Charter Accountants in Marple

Author Topic: I'm (maybe) moving to Water Meetings - can anyone speak for the flood risks?  (Read 3453 times)

mikes

You could always go and view the property and ask the owners.  If they lie you can sue them and their lawyers.  But I'd still only offer around £25k and self insure.  And then let the property out.  I wouldn't feel happy living in such a place.

WaterMeetings

Thanks everyone. I'd found a few of the links already (flood warnings and river/risk levels) it's just really hard to see how high the land is. Obviously I'm not saying anything you haven't collectively mentioned. One of the property photos actually seems to have been taken during high levels and the water looks to be over the back lawn, so at the very best I'd be looking at a house on an island and as mikes said, always worried. I'm talking to my insurers tomorrow so I might see if they can look anything up.

I re-contacted the agent and was told the potential buyers are putting a lot of money into surveys etc., and when I mentioned flood risks he alluded to it as a problem without ever outright saying so. First seeing the flood risk warning was a big "oh . . . fair enough" to why it's been unsold two years.

sgk

From the photos, it looks like it may be many feet above the river, but after seeing how much some of the waterways in Poynton rose in a few hours, I don't know if it is enough.

Rises by about 2m, according to the website.

https://www.riverlevels.uk/goyt-compstall-marple-bridge

mikes

If it was £25,000 I might take the risk but it looks way too close for comfort.  I'd be worried every time it rains. 

ringi

why do you think they cant sell it .

I think they could sell it if they reduced the price by£50K or £100K.      However if it does every flood, then even halving the price may not get a sale.

From the photos, it looks like it may be many feet above the river, but after seeing how much some of the waterways in Poynton rose in a few hours, I don't know if it is enough.

amazon

How high is the house above the river?   How low is the ground on the other side of the river?

However remember that Poynton flood this year, and most of the effected roads had never flooded before.   It only takes a few hours of rain to make a house unsaleable and worthless.
why do you think they cant sell it .

ringi

How high is the house above the river?   How low is the ground on the other side of the river?

However remember that Poynton flood this year, and most of the effected roads had never flooded before.   It only takes a few hours of rain to make a house unsaleable and worthless.

mikes

Personally I wouldn't live within half a mile or below a 100' in elevation of any water course, or in any valley or the bottom of any hill for that matter.

barndoor

I don't have any history of the house, unfortunately, but have you seen the Long term flood risk information from gov.uk?

The secondary links in Section 5 are interesting: clicking 'Detailed view' shows the level of perceived risk under a number of scenarios.

Alternative address in case the link doesn't work: flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/long-term-flood-risk/ You'll need the postcode SK6 5LA.

mikes

Try getting an insurance quote and whilst you are doing so ask the insurance company if there is any history of claims on the insurance databases.

WaterMeetings

I'm (maybe) moving to Water Meetings - can anyone speak for the flood risks?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 10:50:42 PM »
Hi everyone in beautiful Marple!

So my situation is this: I'm looking to move and found the Water Meetings cottage on Rollins Lane, on the Goyt and Etherow - this one: http://edwardmellor.co.uk/search/view/10066832-3-Bedroom-House---detached-In-UK.html/overview

I saw it had been on the market for a couple of years and so wondered if anything was wrong with it or the area (googling led me here, prompting me to join up and ask anyone who personally knows.) In between me registering and being accepted to post this I found out that it's in a high flood risk area - to which you're probably thinking "well, obviously" - but I couldn't find any history of the house itself being flooded even though the high street and other areas have. I can't find much information on what constitutes a flood sufficiently to have it marked on risk maps.

So I'm probably really asking, to anyone who might know, has Water Meetings ever flooded? I checked historic water levels but obviously don't know how high off the riverbed the cottage is. The gardens getting encroached is probably unavoidable, but the building itself is the main concern.  It'd likely be a nightmare for insurance, but that's another day.

(I found that it's been under offer for a couple of months, but that's no reason to give up)

Any accounts or information you can give would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot. - Dave