Marple Glass and Glazing

Author Topic: Wood burning stoves  (Read 6708 times)

My login is Henrietta

Re: Wood burning stoves
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2016, 02:42:08 PM »
Re references.  All guides on purchasing say to ask for references.  We have rung two of them and they seem genuine.  The problem of 'planted' referees could happen with any company.  Its a minefield.

The problem of people not turning up, not phoning back, turning up but not sending in a quote is an annoying one.  Its a shame that it applies to two of the local suppliers but it isn't the first time that this has happened.  I would rather a company would say straight off if they aren't able to do a job, too busy or just not interested rather than waste my time (and theirs).
Make sure your choice is a HETAS registered installer so you'll be sure the installation complies with building regs. You should be able to check on the HETAS website - or ask to see the installer's current certificate

Deniseam

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 10:51:40 AM »
Re references.  All guides on purchasing say to ask for references.  We have rung two of them and they seem genuine.  The problem of 'planted' referees could happen with any company.  Its a minefield.

The problem of people not turning up, not phoning back, turning up but not sending in a quote is an annoying one.  Its a shame that it applies to two of the local suppliers but it isn't the first time that this has happened.  I would rather a company would say straight off if they aren't able to do a job, too busy or just not interested rather than waste my time (and theirs).

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 10:49:17 AM »
How do you know the references are not plants?  Sorry I'm a suspicious soul.  I'd still never trust a firm that doesn't publish their address, though it is easy enough to find on Google.

Isn't that why Denise was asking on here? To see if anyone locally / independently has any experience of the firm?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

mikes

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 10:28:50 AM »
How do you know the references are not plants?  Sorry I'm a suspicious soul.  I'd still never trust a firm that doesn't publish their address, though it is easy enough to find on Google.

Deniseam

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 10:12:21 AM »
To answer your question re why go elsewhere.  One of the recommendations never turned up and the other never phoned me back.  Woodside turned up, on time and has given us numbers to call for references.

mikes

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 04:22:45 PM »
Has anyone used Woodside Stoves?

Personally I wouldn't touch any firm that does not provide full contact details on their website, instead of just a phone number.  You have already been given three good local firms so why go to one apparently based in the Salford area?

Deniseam

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 01:19:24 PM »
Has anyone used Woodside Stoves?

SHG

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 11:12:57 AM »
We have a Chesney (http://www.chesneys.co.uk/stoves) multi-fuel stove which we cannot recommend enough. Loads of different design and styles to choose from. We purchased it from Fire Place Superstore in Cheadle.
We had a chap from Chapel-en-le-Frith install it as he had done some other family members, he is fully registered and even built our new chimney-breast. He is called Steve, Fires by Designs,
Tel: 07929 383173

Dave

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 11:37:46 AM »
Another vote for Morso - as others have said, a bit more pricy but definitely worth it.

We got three quotes in when we had ours fitted a few years ago, and the set-up in Cheadle (Coalwood) was by far the cheapest - and they were excellent. 

David Qualter is a good chimney sweep.  See http://www.homefiresandfuels.co.uk/

Deniseam

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 04:29:03 PM »
Thank you for all your really helpful replies.  Got a surveyor coming round this week.  Though still not decided yet on which make of stove.

andy+kirsty

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 12:12:34 PM »
We have a Morso and it has been faultless since we installed it in November 2008. They are really worth the extra few quid and it runs near continuously from around now until april!

We burn Verdo Logs which we buy direct by the pallet, with the secondary burn technology the Morso have it makes them suitable to burn wood in smoke control areas ( which we are in our part of marple)

https://www.verdorenewables.co.uk/products/briquettes

corium

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 10:15:03 AM »
Morso stoves work well but are slightly more expensive, I have one. For our second we chose a slightly cheaper British brand (can't remember who off hand) which also works well. The big decision is whether you want to burn wood, coal or both as this may affect the choice. One stove came from Cheadle, the other from Home Fuels & they both arranged installation, rebuilding work. A key element in your costings needs to be whether your chimney needs a liner.

mikes

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 11:04:54 PM »
Just been looking at Morso stoves. They've got nice clean lines.

I seem to remember that we are outside the smokeless zone as we had a coal fire years ago.  We are in Marple Bridge on the artists estate.  Is it still the case that we can merrily burn anything? 

The Clearview stoves are also very nice, the Clearview 400 would be suitable.

Check the council website for whether you are in a smoke free or smoke permitted area in Marple Bridge at:
http://www.stockport.gov.uk/services/environment/envhealth/environmentaprotectionmap

Also you will need a carbon monoxide detector installed near the stove and depending on room may need additional ventilation.

mikes

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 09:57:00 PM »
The one in New Mills is:

http: //www.fireplacenewmills.co.uk/about-us/

Also speak to Jonathon Pomroy before you make final decision as to which one to use.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 09:29:34 PM »
Home Fires & Fuels is a sponsor of the web site and will give you good advice. He's also a NACS approved chimney sweep. www.homefiresandfuels.co.uk
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website