Marple Blasting Services | Blast Cleaning Stockport

Author Topic: Refuse collections  (Read 5902 times)

mikes

Re: Refuse collections
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 07:12:00 PM »
I've heard that the change to black bin collections has been scrapped due to the response to the consultation.

Can anyone confirm that this is correct?

I had an email from Lisa Smart to this effect. 

Lily

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 11:15:54 AM »

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 05:42:35 AM »
I've heard that the change to black bin collections has been scrapped due to the response to the consultation.

Can anyone confirm that this is correct?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 04:04:39 PM »
Absolutely! bagged bananas from Tesco, just pick up a loose bunch. Ready meals... plastic tray, cellophane and in a box! Glass milk bottles did actually do what they were supposed to and were easily re-used. Our "convenient" lifestyles are to blame but it needs legislation to prevent the supermarkets fuelling it with unnecessary packaging. Maybe Brexit will allow us to step back in time little to some of the things that WERE actually better.
Without wishing to appear smug (well, not much anyway  ;)) I do buy milk in glass bottles and I buy loose fruit and veg wherever possible. There used to be a shop in Hyde which sold dry goods on the pick-your-own basis. They actively encouraged customers to bring their own bgs to pack stuff in, allthough they did supply them if customers preferred.

amazon

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 02:56:53 PM »
Trouble is, one of the reasons for Brexit, we were told, was to free ourselves from all those pesky EU food packaging regulations!  I don't think the Brexiteers had more regulation in  mind!
What has Brexit to do with the bins .

Dave

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 02:38:14 PM »
it needs legislation to prevent the supermarkets fuelling it with unnecessary packaging. Maybe Brexit will allow us to step back in time little to some of the things that WERE actually better.

Trouble is, one of the reasons for Brexit, we were told, was to free ourselves from all those pesky EU food packaging regulations!  I don't think the Brexiteers had more regulation in  mind! 

jimblob

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 09:41:32 AM »
Perhaps if there was some sort of scheme to fine the makers and sellers of products which have extortionate amounts of packaging we wouldn't need bigger bins. One packet of biscuits I bought recently had THREE layers of packaging - two of which were un-recyclable!!

Absolutely! bagged bananas from Tesco, just pick up a loose bunch. Ready meals... plastic tray, cellophane and in a box! Glass milk bottles did actually do what they were supposed to and were easily re-used. Our "convenient" lifestyles are to blame but it needs legislation to prevent the supermarkets fuelling it with unnecessary packaging. Maybe Brexit will allow us to step back in time little to some of the things that WERE actually better.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 04:53:50 PM »
Perhaps if there was some sort of scheme to fine the makers and sellers of products which have extortionate amounts of packaging we wouldn't need bigger bins. One packet of biscuits I bought recently had THREE layers of packaging - two of which were un-recyclable!!

jimblob

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 11:41:45 AM »
rather than melt down all the existing black bins, why not simply move to 3 weekly collection but offer people a second bin if they think they'll produce more waste. A 20 year return on a loan to replace all the black bins for slightly larger ones.... crazy! I do think green should be fortnightly too. if you fill your green bin every week get two or go to the tip yourself.

wheels

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 09:42:32 AM »

Because the councils want to increase their blue+green+brown recycled collections (saves them money, by achieving quotas) and decrease their black refuse collection (costs them money, landfill taxes etc).

http://www.local.gov.uk/documents/10180/49956/150501+LGA+Recycling+targets+position+paper.pdf/0b496595-d7fe-4128-afc2-4d51f2eb6249
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/sep/24/monthly-bin-collections-would-boost-uk-recycling-rates-say-experts

It save us as CT payers money not the council's themsrlves

sgk

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 10:36:09 PM »
okay, i may be being a bit thick here, but why not move the blue green to 4 weekly (same as the brown) and green bins to fortnightly or even 3 weeks during the winter and keep the black bin as it is ??

Because the councils want to increase their blue+green+brown recycled collections (saves them money, by achieving quotas) and decrease their black refuse collection (costs them money, landfill taxes etc).

http://www.local.gov.uk/documents/10180/49956/150501+LGA+Recycling+targets+position+paper.pdf/0b496595-d7fe-4128-afc2-4d51f2eb6249
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/sep/24/monthly-bin-collections-would-boost-uk-recycling-rates-say-experts

mikes

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 10:29:20 PM »
I think the proposal is a good idea.  I would like the other collections kept as is and even perhaps a larger green bin as I fill mine weekly with garden waste (yes even during the winter).

ROTHERS

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 02:43:33 PM »
okay, i may be being a bit thick here, but why not move the blue green to 4 weekly (same as the brown) and green bins to fortnightly or even 3 weeks during the winter and keep the black bin as it is ??

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 01:58:35 PM »
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Cyberman

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 12:23:12 PM »
  Due you think we could youse are remote tv controls to put the out for collection
No - it's so they can be put under a curfew. If they are seen on the streets after 8:00 pm they will be sent to the cells of newly-opened Marple nick.