Wealth Management | S&T Wealth provide portfolio & investment advice

Author Topic: Brentwood / MacNair Court  (Read 31832 times)

amazon

Re: Brentwood / MacNair Court
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 04:02:10 PM »
My Brother is indeed called roger was part time cleaner there now moved to oferton .all so just heard that planing is shortly to be submitted for this site .

p.boyack

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 10:46:14 PM »
was your brother the gardener i believe his name was roger if so he communicated with my wife last year and gave us a lot of information and also some photos for which we where very grateful please pass on our thanks brentwood gave my wifes family a lot of happy memories which have stayed with them to this day we would be very grateful if you would keep us informed of any further developments

amazon

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 02:52:35 PM »
Still can't find anything in the planning database relating to this. Does anyone else know more?
Mcnair court is now empty . no plans have yet been submitted the back part is coming down black white building to stay . all the info i have obtained this from my brother who used to work there . now works at the place they have at offerton .

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 11:44:26 AM »
Still can't find anything in the planning database relating to this. Does anyone else know more?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

p.boyack

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 09:42:43 PM »
was the old house preserved i believe the rest of the building was to be demolished and re developed

Miss Marple

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 09:40:50 PM »
 ;) How lovely to hear your memories of Mcnair Court (Brentwood as it was)   I listened as a child to my mother and her six siblings speaking about the wonderful times they had at Brentwood.  My mother is about 3 years old in the picture I have of her, she was born in 1927 sadly she passed away sometime ago.  My Grandmother was widowed when my mother, the youngest of 7 children was 18 months old.  The family lived in Hulme and lived for the holidays they enjoyed at Brentwood.  My grandmother was near destitute but with the help of Brentwood her children also like yourself have fantastic memories of their time there.   I hope that the powers that be take note of the history, memories and nostalgic intrest there is surrounding this building and retain at least the front of the building so when people like yourself discover it once again they can look at the wonderful frontage and recall their precious memories.  My mother and her family would be devistated if they were still alive at the prospect of losing Brentwood to developers.  I am also wondering if the Heritage magazine has ever done an  artical on Brentwood.  I have looked on the internet and there is information about it on there with pictures of the house around 1930s.  Very pleased you found it again and remember it as many locals do as a place that offered so much to many people.

p.boyack

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
My family went to Brentwood for a few years ,as our family needed to be helped as my mam had a few children one year  to two year apart .My dad had Tb and went in to hospital for along time,we were asked if she would like some help,Brentwood was a lovely place for my sisters and me as we lived in South Shields, to us it was heaven.Our name was Ellwood ,the four oldest girls Mariegold,Doreen,Jeanette,and me Valerie had time to be children .  Brentwood was a house with lots of nice big rooms in it,gardens for us to play in we had lovely staff to look after the samler childen so we could be are selfs.I and my sister Doreen found Brentwood in june after looking for it for such along time.We did not know it was in Marple we were told it was in Stockport ,we could not believe are luck when the houses was still there lovely as always,   I cried  as all the happy  times came back.Thank you to Marple for giving us  such a great time.IF you  remember us please let us know we would like to see if some of the staff are still in Marple.                                                       

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 06:51:16 AM »
There don't seem to be any planning applications in the Council Database relating to this yet, so all we seem to know at the moment are the rumours mentioned here.

Note : Old and new topics on Brentwood / MacNair Court have been merged.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

p.boyack

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 11:56:12 PM »
does anyone know what is happening concerning new development and possible demolition of old house my wife visited on several occasions and has many happy memories we visited recently and where lucky enough to look around the place and though it was over 40 years since her last visit it was just as she remembers would like to hear from anyone who spent time there especially mid fifties to early sixties

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 02:49:12 PM »
On the left-hand side of Church Lane just before All Saints Church it was years ago called Brentwood. Ray

the rover

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 12:31:24 PM »
Where is Mcnair Court? Why don't people bother to add some sort of help to people that don't know every single building or road in Marple when they post?

twinkletoes

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 08:43:16 PM »
oh right,Thats alright then. But I really do think there is alot of old peoples flats and apartments around here. Its a nice building and set in the right place too

Miss Marple

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 03:01:47 PM »
No! the building is owned by a housing association so unless they sell or make an application for a change of use it will be for over 55s.  I think its great to update the building as the rooms are mostly bedsits which the housing association found hard to let.  My concern is that we may lose the magnificent front of the building and the history and memories that surround it. For many people it was a retreat from inner city deprivation at the turn of the century and served as a holiday home for many single mothers and their children.

twinkletoes

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 12:17:46 PM »
I don't think they are getting rid of it, I think Ive heard that they are up dating it and turning it into apartments which if the case good. We need more things like that for my generation, the only nice apartments you can get are in stockport or Manchester. I'm not being funny but the is alot of place for the older people of the community in Marple. Queens court, the place on the main road where the jolly use to be and the one near the holy spirit church, where my nan use to live. The one opposite queen court and there are 2 near the college.
If anything needed asking about was the dumb plan of changing the service road around the traffic in marple on a satuday is going to be out of this world!!! I really don't think its going to work out.

Miss Marple

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 11:49:04 AM »
Once again changes are being made to Marple without consultation from local residents on what may change the appearance of such a grand building and indeed the area.  Rumour has it that the housing association is to demolish the 70s extention and to keep the original facade but time will tell.  We only have to look at seventeen windows to see what devastation can be caused when detail to surrounding area is not taken into account.  I have a keen intrest in Macnair Court as i have pictures of my mother and her family in the gardens at Macnair in 1929 when they came up from inner city Manchester to use what was then a retreat for deprived families.  So I will be taking a keen intrest in the developments and I hope that other Marple residents will also understand the need to protect and preserve buildings of intrest.  Lets also look at Marple Hall and ask why Marple seems to loose so many places of interest. Is it because, one may ask our involvement with Judge Bradshaw and the ongoing issues of the Royal Family still refusing to enter Marple via Dan Bank.  I will leave this to the residents of Marple to decide