Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Brentwood / MacNair Court  (Read 31831 times)

M H Lambert

Re: Brentwood / MacNair Court
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 09:16:55 AM »
Hello all,

My name is Michael Lambert and currently I am undertaking research sponsored by the Economic and Social Research Council about social intervention in the Northwest since 1939.

A key element of this - and sponsored by the successor organisation to the Community Council for Lancashire which was involved with Brentwood, Community Future (http://www.communityfutures.org.uk/) - is researching the history of Brentwood.

My supervisor is John Welshman, currently at the University of Lancaster (http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/fass/history/profiles/john-welshman) who in 2008 wrote an article entitled "Recuperation, rehabilitation and the residential option: the Brentwood Centre for Mothers and Children" which did some preliminary work into the archives and history of the centre. As part of my research I am to produce an "official history" for Community Futures about the centre and incorporate the experience there as part of my wider research.

Currently the archives for the organisation are held at the Lancashire Record Office in Preston which I am working with but something that is not included is how people experienced the centre. I was hoping that I might be able to chat to, or interview the people in the posts who have mentioned staying at, or involvement with, Brentwood. I hope to be able to your experiences to provide an extra dimension to the main source material from Brentwood itself. I am hoping with individual case histories I may be able to build a much better history of Brentwood.

If anyone would be interested or willing to chat or be interviewed about their time at Brentwood, or know anyone who might then don't hesitate in contacting me. Any assistance would be helpful and I would be very grateful.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Michael Lambert

euno

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2013, 05:24:17 AM »
 Hi Ray   I remember the Beetle Drives too.   They had quite a few things they used to run for funds.  I remember the people of Marple at that time were very generous in donations of clothes, toys etc.

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 07:55:45 PM »
I remember going to Brentwood in the late 1940's with my mother to what they called a Beetle Drive.

euno

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 12:39:11 PM »
Hi Mark
 It is a while since I have been on the site and I went on the Virtual Tour . I am sorry to see that Brentwood has gone but I am glad it has now been refurbished at last to be of some use. It took a long time didn't it to be done ?. Is it apartments now or what ?.  I still have lovely memories of Brentwood and it was lovely seeing the photo of Miss Abraham and Auntie Elsa . It was a wonderful place to go especially for us who never had gardens or trees. Wonderful Christmas's. I am 73 now and I was 7 when we first went there.  Very Happy Memories .  Thank you for all your help in finding out all the information .
    Cheers
    Eunice
     x x x

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011, 12:59:41 PM »
dear Mark, Will you please reinstate me on the website. Ican only get on as a guest. Have tried to email you but had probs. I think you know my email address so can you let me know. Best wishes Liz Appleby

Hi Liz - I will email you tonight but if you could only get on as a guest you wouldn't have been able to post your message. Guests cannot post on the forum at all so you must have been logged in to to post as yourself  ???
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

liz appleby

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2011, 12:55:21 PM »
dear Mark, Will you please reinstate me on the website. Ican only get on as a guest. Have tried to email you but had probs. I think you know my email address so can you let me know. Best wishes Liz Appleby

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2011, 08:59:10 AM »
More dramatic pictures of the Macnair Court demolition taken by Arthur have been added to the Tour this morning. Thank goodness the original Villa will remain and wasn't subject to this!

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-20
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 08:24:26 PM »
Four photos taken by Arthur of Brentwood / Macnair Court being demolished have just bee added to the Virtual Tour here:

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-20

The Brentwood Villa itself is being refurbished - it's the more recent additions that are being removed.

Details are in the planning database and can be accessed using this link but the documents were playing up when I just visited and I could not view them. Hopefully its a temporary glitch.

http://planning.stockport.gov.uk/PlanningData/AcolNetCGI.gov?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=105676
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

p.boyack

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2011, 09:15:14 PM »
my wife and her family visited brentwood on several occasions in the fifties and early sixties and recently located it again after many years of trying i posted a picture last year of some of the staff my wifes name was valerie ellwood it would be nice to hear any memories you have

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 07:40:45 PM »
Have you searched the Virtual Tour yet?:

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/search.php
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

redmarauder

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 07:25:10 PM »
I stayed at Brentwood in the 1950's with my Mum brother and sister. I have such wonderful memories of our stay there and have been telling my grandchildren all about it. Does anyone on here have any old photos of Brentwood or any idea where I can find some.
I also remember Auntie Elsa and having to line up every morning to receive a spoonful of malt and cod-liver oil. I'm sure it did us good !!!!!!!

amazon

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 02:41:05 PM »
Nothing as yet . I Think its now boarded up .

p.boyack

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 09:54:33 PM »
does anyone know what is happening with brentwood or mc nair court as it is now known

coops

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 04:04:50 AM »
Quote from:  link=topic=70.msg252#msg252 date=1019434215
Does anybody remember Brentwood Recuperating centre for tired mothers ? It was on Church lane near All Saints church. My mother was sent there when I was a child in 1947 I had a brother too called Terence. It was a wonderful place and I have some wonderful memories. We went as guests for years after up to about 1953. I lived in a terraced house in Manchester and it was lovely being in the countryside with great walks to the Lakes and farms. It was run by a Miss Abraham, Mrs Lambert was the cook.
I remember Auntie Elsa was in the nursery. Molly Langshaw was there she had a son called Fred. I am now 62 living in Australia since 1969 . I often think about all those times and wonder does anybody else remember too ?.  Regards Eunice.

I remember it well Eunice, I lived in the cottage at lock 6 until leaving for Melbourne,Australia in 1962. My name is Ian Cooper and I went to Ludworth Primary School approx. 53-58 and then Hyde Grammar...

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 08:41:27 PM »
p.boyack has sent a photo of staff and patients at Brentwood:

They are:
Front Miss Abrahams + Sarah,
David, Auntie Ailsa, Miss Jones (Squatter)
Hilda & Sid.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website