Marple Glass and Glazing

Author Topic: Congratulations to Marple Gold Medalists!  (Read 5689 times)

My login is Henrietta

Re: Congratulations to Marple Gold Medalists!
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 01:08:36 PM »
Actually, I'm quite proud of the British cyclist achievements (in the Olympics and the Tour de France) and it certainly seems to have stimulated a healthy interest in cycling round here (and, I suspect, helped get some extra cycling routes). At least two medallists have lived / are living locally, and they train at the Manchester velodrome - which is open to all.

With regards to interviews after equestrian events, I think the BBC tends to address the rider because the horse isn't very good at speaking into the microphone.

If someone "invents" a cure for cancer I'm sure they will get their Nobel Prize. Until then, sporting achievements are well worth celebrating. To have beaten the rest of the world takes a lot of doing.
But the rider should give credit to the horse without beginning every sentence with "I"

JMC

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2016, 10:11:37 AM »
Does anyone actually care where some people who are famous for nothing particularly useful actually live?

Better to be famous for dedication and excellence in sport than taking clothes off or marrying someone famous? Eg many celebrities of late. These medalists are good examples for the young above people like Katie Price.

hollins

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 02:02:58 PM »
Does anyone actually care where some people who are famous for nothing particularly useful actually live?

When they invent a cure for cancer a fuss may be due but riding bicycles.......!

(Ditto that dreadful woman who won something in the horse riding classes and who was interviewed without a mention for the efforts the horse had put in.)

Actually, I'm quite proud of the British cyclist achievements (in the Olympics and the Tour de France) and it certainly seems to have stimulated a healthy interest in cycling round here (and, I suspect, helped get some extra cycling routes). At least two medallists have lived / are living locally, and they train at the Manchester velodrome - which is open to all.

With regards to interviews after equestrian events, I think the BBC tends to address the rider because the horse isn't very good at speaking into the microphone.

If someone "invents" a cure for cancer I'm sure they will get their Nobel Prize. Until then, sporting achievements are well worth celebrating. To have beaten the rest of the world takes a lot of doing.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 02:34:49 PM »

When they invent a cure for cancer a fuss may be due but riding bicycles.......!

(Ditto that dreadful woman who won something in the horse riding classes and who was interviewed without a mention for the efforts the horse had put in.)

Lily

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 07:02:37 PM »
Just been an article (and interviews) on the BBC about 'The Golden Couple' Laura and Jason.
They now live out in the Chelford area - so that's not far from Knutsford.

nbt

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 06:54:29 PM »
The chafpromm the cycle repair shop did go to work for BC, as a mechanic. The BC car up Lockside belongs to John, one of the para-cycling coaches. I too was under the impression that Jason and Laura are in the new build estate on the old brickworks near Peaceful, however I have seen mention today of a tweet from Laura about Jason packing boxes ready for moving house. That was some time ago though
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

corium

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 05:50:37 PM »
It may be ny  faulty memory or did not the chap who ran a cycle repair shop in Marple c 5 + years ago go to work for British cycling?

JMC

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 05:27:23 PM »
The was a British cycling team van a couple weeks back up near top lock. Have never seen them around though.

the rover

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 05:01:43 PM »
Daily Mail says they live in Knutsford, the MEN says they live in Cheadle. But, well done to both of them and good luck to them for the future.

mikes

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 04:34:03 PM »
wherever they live let's hope they get a bit of privacy.

Harry

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 03:04:33 PM »
Will they get a gold pillar box?

I understand that Jason Kenny already has a gold pillar box in Bolton.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 02:46:40 PM »
I have it on good authority that they were / are living near Top Lock but maybe they've deserted us before their finest hour!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Howard

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 02:06:00 PM »
I though they lived on the new estate opposite Peacefield. However, if we're talking about members of the team, there is a Masda estate with bike rook racks and "British Cycling" livery all over it that is regularly parked at top lock. It's there often enough so I would expect it to be a resident's rather than it just being parked whilst someone goes training.

sgk

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 09:37:17 AM »
Congratulations to Laura Trott and Jason Kenny on their fantastic achievements in Brazil last night.

Did you know that they live in Marple?
Is Wikipedia wrong (quite possible!) - says they live in Knutsford.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Trott

nbt

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 09:18:20 AM »
marple is now 13th in the medal table  ;D

I was aware of their current status as marple residents, but have yet to see them knocking around. So pleased for both of them
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist