RC Cars, RC Helicopters, RC Planes | Nitrotek Ltd

Author Topic: Sorting office Marple  (Read 40322 times)

amazon

Re: Sorting office Marple
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2016, 07:03:31 PM »
Assuming the lease has been in place for a long time, it is likely that the payment to the council is less then they can get from another tenant.
The post office we were told had a 100 year lease on it /sixty years left if i can remember .

ringi

« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2016, 05:22:16 PM »
Assuming the lease has been in place for a long time, it is likely that the payment to the council is less then they can get from another tenant.

corium

« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2016, 04:44:09 PM »
I'm pretty sure it is on a very long lease from the council because the PO were demanding £millions to relinquish the lease when the council were touting the site for a supermarket.

So does this mean the council will be demanding significant compensation from Royal Mail for breaking the lease? Or has the contract been poorly drawn up so that it can't?

amazon

« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2016, 12:41:54 PM »
I'm pretty sure it is on a very long lease from the council because the PO were demanding £millions to relinquish the lease when the council were touting the site for a supermarket.
  Thank you .interesting .so if it does come vacant cant see the councill not wanting to sell .

mikes

« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2016, 12:18:12 AM »
So who owns Marple sorting office .

amazon

« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2016, 08:19:37 PM »
If it requires a signature, local shops can't take them so it would still be a trip into Stockport. As for the central building that has been vacant for years, Royal Mail still own this, just can't find a buyer, however Green Lane is rented! Makes sense  ::)
So who owns Marple sorting office .

Jay

« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2016, 07:42:40 PM »
If it requires a signature, local shops can't take them so it would still be a trip into Stockport. As for the central building that has been vacant for years, Royal Mail still own this, just can't find a buyer, however Green Lane is rented! Makes sense  ::)

William Wragg

« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2016, 05:06:11 PM »
Hi all,

I just wanted to get in touch to try and clarify some points - where possible.

Royal Mail are currently still having a series of meetings to discuss this proposal. So far, we haven't been provided a date from when this will be completed, but no decision has currently been made.

As some of you have already pointed out, I did launch a petition for this, which I recently presented in Parliament.

Those residents who signed my petition will be receiving a full update from me via letter over the next few days (if you haven't already received it). As soon as I have been give an update - I will ensure you're all updated too.

If you'd like to read more about the actions I have taken, you can do so by following this link: https://www.williamwragg.org.uk/news/royal-mail-delivery-office

As always, any questions or queries please contact me via:
Email: william@williamwragg.org.uk
Call: 0161 427 0660
Write/Visit: 13 Stockport Road, Marple, Stockport, SK6 6BD.

Best wishes,

William

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2016, 04:41:04 PM »
It's got nothing to do with the Post Office. It's a Royal Mail initiative.

1/ Probably wouldn't be sorted out in detail by the Post Office Royal Mail until they decide to close it.

2/ Would be nothing to do with the Post Office Royal Mail but again nobody would do anything about it until it had happened. There may be a number of options.

I'd like to know these answers too but I'm not sure there's anyone who can tell us?

::)
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Harry

« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2016, 02:46:02 PM »
1/ Probably wouldn't be sorted out in detail by the Post Office until they decide to close it.

2/ Would be nothing to do with the Post Office but again nobody would do anything about it until it had happened. There may be a number of options.

I'd like to know these answers too but I'm not sure there's anyone who can tell us?

It's got nothing to do with the Post Office. It's a Royal Mail initiative.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2016, 09:40:49 AM »
(1) What are the arrangements for pickups if deliveries are missed? (Local shops - could be considerably better than at present; however, if somewhere in Stockport - extreme nuisance).

(2) What is going to happen to the (quite large and central) vacated site?

1/ Probably wouldn't be sorted out in detail by the Post Office until they decide to close it.

2/ Would be nothing to do with the Post Office but again nobody would do anything about it until it had happened. There may be a number of options.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

hollins

« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2016, 09:21:16 AM »
I reserve judgement on whether it is a good thing or not, but I wish I could see answers to:

(1) What are the arrangements for pickups if deliveries are missed? (Local shops - could be considerably better than at present; however, if somewhere in Stockport - extreme nuisance).

(2) What is going to happen to the (quite large and central) vacated site?

I simply couldn't judge whether it is a good or bad thing without knowing these. Can't the Royal Mail simply tell us? Maybe something for Councillors/MP to take up, rather than mounting a petition to stop it without knowing any facts.

andy+kirsty

« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2016, 08:52:38 AM »
Whilst I am generally in favour of the local sorting offices remaining open, this flyer is ridiculous, and riddle with half truths and/or inaccuracies.

>Out of town industrial estate
Nope, it's in the centre of stockport, a short walk from the bus station

>any move will result in a marked deterioration in the Local Services
Such as? RM haven't said that they're also going to reduce deliveries/collections (above the changes they've already made in these areas). The only guaranteed change is the location of pickups if you miss a delivery, and as the arrangements for that haven't been confirmed, it can't be said to be worse, and may well be better.

>There will be not one solitary benefit for either the Public or the Workforce.
Workforce - probably little to no benefit, but do all the staff really live in Marple? Do none of them commute? Across the workforce as a whole it's likely to be a wash.
Public - if it keeps costs down, it keeps prices down, a definite benefit to the public. And who knows, the collection options for missed deliveries might also improve (couldn't get anymore restrictive)

>defend ... Local Jobs
Huh? The sorting office isn't being relocated abroad, or even to the other end of the country, just the centre of Stockport. How are local jobs under attack by this?

To disagree slightly - since privatisation their sole driver will be profit, a marked difference from what Royal Mail was with Posties as uniformed civil servants fulfilling an essential public need even if only to deliver tax demands on behalf of HMRC!

Out of town industrial estate

For everyone who uses Marple DO this is a marked deterioration, it'll mean a trip into Stockport, another car on Dan Bank etc. It is going to be a pain in the arse!

There will be not one solitary benefit for either the Public or the Workforce.
Workforce - probably little to no benefit, but do all the staff really live in Marple? Do none of them commute? Across the workforce as a whole it's likely to be a wash.
Public - if it keeps costs down, it keeps prices down, a definite benefit to the public. And who knows, the collection options for missed deliveries might also improve (couldn't get anymore restrictive)

The workforce are important and any businesses largest asset, I live opposite a postie who works from the Marple office, it'll mean him driving to Stockport to pick up his round and drive back out to marple to deliver it - hardly seems sensible once you scale this up across Stockport.
Do you really think that this is going to lower the cost of stamps? Or is it for the share holders. There is little public benefit in that, also see point one.

defend ... Local Jobs
Huh? The sorting office isn't being relocated abroad, or even to the other end of the country, just the centre of Stockport. How are local jobs under attack by this?

Well closing several DO will mean that there will be surplus roles when centralised - for instance the person who is on the collection counter, I imagine that will be over staffed once you collapse 3 to 1, I have no real idea of how the offices work but I imagine there is similar duplication. Clearly any  job loss is terrible for the individual and their family as well as the community as they won't have money to spend in local shops and may end up costing the tax payer in unemployment benefit.

marpleexile

« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2016, 10:17:20 PM »
I agree with Alison - it's NOT the above!

It's a pain to get to on foot, not near the train of bus station and certainly not near the main shops. Inconvenient for customers and employees.

It's a 10 min walk from Stockport bus station - I think we have VERY different ideas about what constitutes "out of town".

In any case, it's precise location is only relevant if that is where we would have to go to collect missed deliveries.

Cyberman

« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2016, 06:30:52 PM »
>Out of town industrial estate

I agree with Alison - it's NOT the above!

It's a pain to get to on foot, not near the train of bus station and certainly not near the main shops. Inconvenient for customers and employees.