Brabyns Preparatory School -Scholarships

Author Topic: Sorting office Marple  (Read 40314 times)

amazon

Re: Sorting office Marple
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2016, 08:15:48 PM »
There may be no NEED to shop elsewhere but many of us do CHOOSE to. I only use Marple's Asda as a convenience store as its not where I choose to shop. So that's a couple of trips up and down Dan Bank every week, and a great many residents of Marple do the same.

So why do you not choose to shopi  in Marple .

Condate

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2016, 08:08:19 PM »
There may be no NEED to shop elsewhere but many of us do CHOOSE to. I only use Marple's Asda as a convenience store as its not where I choose to shop. So that's a couple of trips up and down Dan Bank every week, and a great many residents of Marple do the same.

That's very surprising. I come originally from a town overrun with supermarkets (Sainsbury's Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, M&S, Waitrose and soon to be Asda) and am very pleased to live now somewhere no so afflicted. Things were better when we had a wonderful Co-op, but we still have the Co-op at the garage and Iceland and a great many local shops and even Asda if you're desperate.  I do sometimes use supermarkets elsewhere if I'm passing anyway, but these don't involve using Dan Bank.

I suspect that even if Marple is ruined by a new supermarket, there will always be people who insist on using a different one and travelling anyway. I've only been here three years and I don't want to have to move somewhere else to escape supermarkets. The wonderful shops here are one of the big attractions of Marple and I don't want to lose them.

Harry

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2016, 04:17:17 PM »
There's no need to leave Marple for a supermarket, and even if you do, you wouldn't need to drive anywhere near Dan Bank. I do occasionally use a supermarket elsewhere, but only because there is one on one of my routes home from work, so I'd be driving anyway.

Condate

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2016, 01:09:20 PM »
There are lot of people driving out of Marple to go to a supermarket,  so a supermarket could reduce traffic on Dan's Bank etc.

There's no need to leave Marple for a supermarket, and even if you do, you wouldn't need to drive anywhere near Dan Bank. I do occasionally use a supermarket elsewhere, but only because there is one on one of my routes home from work, so I'd be driving anyway.

ringi

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2016, 11:32:31 AM »
I certainly hope not, there is enough traffic in Marple, as it is.

There are lot of people driving out of Marple to go to a supermarket,  so a supermarket could reduce traffic on Dan's Bank etc.

marpleexile

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2016, 09:26:24 PM »
         But now the post office site may shortly be  available .that could be the difference .

Possibly, but the main reason a 2nd supermarket in Marple was attractive way back when was because the 1st supermarket was the ripoff Coop.

With a populous trained to spend their money outside Marple, competing against Asda for what's left may not be all that attractive a business plan - especially on a site with a hefty start up cost.

Hopefully I'm wrong, as I'd like to see Asda have the competition that the Coop never did, but I'm not holding my breath.

amazon

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2016, 04:30:41 PM »
On the question of a supermarket on the site.

In 2015, SMBC approached: Aldi, Booths, Lidl, Morrisons, M & S, Sainsburys, Tesco and Waitrose and asked them ...." If there was a site available would you be interested in coming to Marple."

Aldi were "interested" M&S were "not disinterested." The rest for a variety of reasons were completely uninterested. At that time (not all) but the vast majority of local councilors (4 of them) were against the idea of another supermarket, whosoever it was. Since then of course, time has moved on and so have the 4 Councillors. 

But now the post office site may shortly be  available .that could be the difference . 

Kevin Dowling

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2016, 03:59:45 PM »
On the question of a supermarket on the site.

In 2015, SMBC approached: Aldi, Booths, Lidl, Morrisons, M & S, Sainsburys, Tesco and Waitrose and asked them ...." If there was a site available would you be interested in coming to Marple."

Aldi were "interested" M&S were "not disinterested." The rest for a variety of reasons were completely uninterested. At that time (not all) but the vast majority of local councilors (4 of them) were against the idea of another supermarket, whosoever it was. Since then of course, time has moved on and so have the 4 Councillors. 

amazon

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2016, 01:34:59 PM »
No,

The interesting thing here (if there is anything interesting) is that the closure of Marple sorting office has been on the cards for almost three years, roughly about the same time that planning permission was refused for a supermarket on Hibbert Lane. It isn't a new thing. If my recall is correct it was debated on this website around that time. It is just that some people and that includes some Royal Mail employees would just not accept it.

Royal Mail, or whoever they are now, is a commercial organisation, they are not the Council, they don't need anybody's support. They are not  going to take any notice of a few petitions or 'V' boards on Market street or elsewhere.

So just save your energy for something that you can influence.
if a business realocates you  either go with it or find another job .

simonesaffron

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2016, 07:50:05 AM »
No,

The interesting thing here (if there is anything interesting) is that the closure of Marple sorting office has been on the cards for almost three years, roughly about the same time that planning permission was refused for a supermarket on Hibbert Lane. It isn't a new thing. If my recall is correct it was debated on this website around that time. It is just that some people and that includes some Royal Mail employees would just not accept it.

Royal Mail, or whoever they are now, is a commercial organisation, they are not the Council, they don't need anybody's support. They are not  going to take any notice of a few petitions or 'V' boards on Market street or elsewhere.

So just save your energy for something that you can influence.

amazon

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2016, 02:24:38 PM »
One of the interesting facts is the, almost total, lack of communicating this news to the community of Marple.

Painfully little has been done to make the people aware of what is happening, it's almost as if you have to make a song and dance about it to get the people to pay attention.

One or two petitions isn't enough as god knows how many don't use or have access to use the internet.

A better form of comms is to have a big sign on Market St to notify the people or lots of small ones along Market St and around the bus stops. How about a Q & A meeting in the Senior Citizens Hall? 

Generally speaking, you're going to have to buck up your ideas and speak up otherwise it's a case of bye.
              So are you organising it all .dont think you will get many interested .

Mr Marple

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2016, 12:20:48 PM »
One of the interesting facts is the, almost total, lack of communicating this news to the community of Marple.

Painfully little has been done to make the people aware of what is happening, it's almost as if you have to make a song and dance about it to get the people to pay attention.

One or two petitions isn't enough as god knows how many don't use or have access to use the internet.

A better form of comms is to have a big sign on Market St to notify the people or lots of small ones along Market St and around the bus stops. How about a Q & A meeting in the Senior Citizens Hall? 

Generally speaking, you're going to have to buck up your ideas and speak up otherwise it's a case of bye.

marpleexile

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2016, 06:55:41 AM »
Dont think they will want silly prices quoted .they are closing to save money if its left empty its costing them money .could get interesting next few months .

True, but even empty it will be costings the significantly less than if open and using gas/electricity, etc.

Such is the way of these things that it could end up cheaper for RM to leave it empty than to sell on the lease if they can't find the right people to take it on.

amazon

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2016, 08:43:35 PM »
The issue wasn't just the sorting office - the whole site is expensive to build on because of it's landscape.

That said, if the sorting office does close it would surely make it at least a bit cheaper - although how ,much cheaper who knows, as Royal Mail will still be tied to a lease, and the landlord will still want their money.
Dont think they will want silly prices quoted .they are closing to save money if its left empty its costing them money .could get interesting next few months .

marpleexile

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2016, 07:56:13 PM »
If the sorting office does close do you supose we will have another supermarket there the sorting office was to expensive to buy at the time so it was reported .

The issue wasn't just the sorting office - the whole site is expensive to build on because of it's landscape.

That said, if the sorting office does close it would surely make it at least a bit cheaper - although how ,much cheaper who knows, as Royal Mail will still be tied to a lease, and the landlord will still want their money.