Market Research Company | Marple Stockport

Author Topic: Sorting office Marple  (Read 40444 times)

Condate

Re: Sorting office Marple
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2016, 07:34:25 PM »
If the sorting office does close do you supose we will have another supermarket there the sorting office was to expensive to buy at the time so it was reported .

I certainly hope not. It would be very bad for Marple.

amazon

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2016, 07:13:07 PM »
I certainly hope not, there is enough traffic in Marple, as it is.

As the song goes those legs were made for walking .

JMC

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2016, 04:43:19 PM »
If the sorting office does close do you supose we will have another supermarket there the sorting office was to expensive to buy at the time so it was reported .

Yes I think we will. I also am not sure it is a good idea due to parking etc. 

simonesaffron

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2016, 04:13:45 PM »
I certainly hope not, there is enough traffic in Marple, as it is.

amazon

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2016, 02:51:52 PM »
Well said. Why do people keep voting for this awful ideology?

JMC

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2016, 10:06:49 AM »
The Tories sold it off and are now complaining about the service deteriorating!

You couldn't make it up.

( well, yes you could because we have seen it a million times before with rail, utilities, NHS etc.)

What do people expect when they vote for them?

Well said. Why do people keep voting for this awful ideology?

marpleexile

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2016, 05:46:24 PM »
We also need to be able to pick up packages, so there must be someone local to everyone that is open long hours to pick them up from.    This does not have to be a sorting office.   Personally I would rather be able to pick up my miss packages from Rose Hill Store, rather than having to try to park in Marple.   There is no reason way there can’t be more the one pickup location for Marple.

I can't remember the last time "I" sent a letter, it will have literally been years ago. Maybe two or three times a year I put something in a prepaid envelope to return to a company. The only correspondence I receive in the post are bills - all of which I could get electronically, and will start doing so as and when they inevitably start charging for paper copies.

I have all small packages delivered to my work (they are really good about this, and maybe 2/3 of the deliveries the office gets in a given week will be personal items for staff members) as actually getting hold of stuff that Royal Mail have tried to deliver is a nightmare - the sorting office shuts for picking up missed deliveries at 11.45am, WTF!

Any item that is going to be too large for me to bring back from work I pay the extra and have it delivered by courier - Amazon seems to primarily use DPD these days, who I have found to be excellent - they tell you the 60 minute window during which you package will arrive.

For the above reasons it makes not one bit of difference to me if the sorting office moves, but if they don't make alternative arrangements for collecting packages it's just going to prompt more people to do what I do and actively try and avoid Royal Mail.

Times are a changing, and the Royal Mail needs to catch up.

ringi

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2016, 10:14:55 AM »
Firstly lets remember that the number of letters we get have been reducing greatly, but  the number of packages we get have been going up, hence postman are not using van due to the size/weight of the packages.    The cost of having a postman put one letter in my letter box is not much different to them putting 3 in, hence regardless of Royal Mail being sold, postage cost would have gone up, or the service reduced.

Clearly for the Royal Mail to complete it need to become more effective.    Modem sorting machines are amazing, but are also expensive, so can’t be put in small sorting offices.  Therefore it makes total sense to have larger sorting offices.

But the postman have to get to the larger sorting office for work,  without any  effective public transport,  therefore I would like to see the Royal Mail being required to run minibuses from any sorting office they close for the workers.

We also need to be able to pick up packages, so there must be someone local to everyone that is open long hours to pick them up from.    This does not have to be a sorting office.   Personally I would rather be able to pick up my miss packages from Rose Hill Store, rather than having to try to park in Marple.   There is no reason way there can’t be more the one pickup location for Marple.

The Giffer

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2016, 09:35:15 PM »

You couldn't make it up.

( well, yes you could because we have seen it a million times before with rail, utilities, NHS etc.)

Agree with the sentiments and am staggered with the hypocrisy of our local MP [although i shouldn't be of course ] but just for some balance the sell off of  Royal Mail was started  by Vince Cable of course , when Coalition Business Secretary .

andy+kirsty

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2016, 10:27:40 AM »

You couldn't make it up.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2016, 03:02:13 PM »
So let's all sign Willie Wragg's petition - although at the moment his petition website doesn't seem to be working.

The corrected address seems to be working fine: http://www.petitions24.com/save_our_royal_mail_delivery_offices
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Cyberman

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2016, 01:27:39 PM »
Where is the Stockport sorting office located, it used to be in Exchange Street but that closed years ago and is still empty?
It's at Green Lane SK4 2HQ, a 1km walk towards Heaton Mersey from the bus station. To quote one of the many (poor) Google reviews, "It's a pain in the arse to get to if you don't have a car".

Dave

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2016, 11:07:59 AM »
the parcells can be left at the post office .

But they won't be - we can be sure of that.  Royal Mail was privatised five years ago, sold off at a discount price to the government's friends in the City, who (kerchinng!) made a fast buck as a result. And the government sold off its last 30% stake a year ago, ending 499 years of public ownership.  Yes, the Royal Mail was founded in 1516! 

So this is exactly the sort of cost-cutting we can expect,  and no doubt there will be more to come.  There are already fewer collections, no doubt the Saturday deliveries and collections will end soon, and the much prized universal postal service is only guaranteed for another five years, until 2021.

So delivery services will all be done from Stockport, and when we have to go to the sorting office to collect a parcel, because we are out when the postie called, or because s/he couldn't be bothered to ring the bell (yes, it happens), we'll have to go to Stockport.

So let's all sign Willie Wragg's petition - although at the moment his petition website doesn't seem to be working. 

the rover

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2016, 06:30:25 AM »
Where is the Stockport sorting office located, it used to be in Exchange Street but that closed years ago and is still empty?

amazon

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 10:01:38 PM »
Because they and their families have probably chosen to buy/rent a house near where they work - in Marple. And possibly send their kids to a school in Marple.
So postmen are Different than other people that must travel further than stockport to work .