Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Sorting office Marple  (Read 40456 times)

alison

Re: Sorting office Marple
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2016, 01:28:47 PM »

>Out of town industrial estate
Nope, it's in the centre of stockport, a short walk from the bus station

No its not - I know because its my sorting office, they closed the central Stockport one and its now Green Lane Industrial Estate which is quite a way out from the town centre and not an easy walk as its over the other side of the motorway near Staples - without a car its a pain to get there, even with a car there are only two provided car park spaces and all the posties park round there so it can be difficult to park on the street at certain times. The hours are better granted, one late night and half day Sunday, but as an alternative to Marple its a non starter so a lot people's only viable option will be to redirect to the post office which last time I checked cost £1.50

Duke Fame

« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2016, 11:18:31 AM »
Whilst I am generally in favour of the local sorting offices remaining open, this flyer is ridiculous, and riddle with half truths and/or inaccuracies.

>defend ... Local Jobs
Huh? The sorting office isn't being relocated abroad, or even to the other end of the country, just the centre of Stockport. How are local jobs under attack by this?

I suppose it depends who the flyer was aimed at but if it were the general public, the union should realise that mail delivery services exist for the customer and shareholders, not as am employment scheme.

Tillyed1

« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2016, 01:29:47 PM »
I don't like to see the closing of any local amenity but the opening hours of the PO sorting office are a joke, (07.30 -11.45 mon-fri, 7.30-11.30 Saturday) if you are not at home to receive a Parcelforce delivery and its returned to the sorting office and you are in full time employment you only have the option of a Saturday morning collection. Not good enough in 2016.

Maybe the proposed new facility with have more flexible opening hours.

marpleexile

« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2016, 01:28:13 PM »
Here are some people that you can contact if you'd like to help support the call to keep local sorting offices open:
<snip>

Whilst I am generally in favour of the local sorting offices remaining open, this flyer is ridiculous, and riddle with half truths and/or inaccuracies.

>Out of town industrial estate
Nope, it's in the centre of stockport, a short walk from the bus station

>any move will result in a marked deterioration in the Local Services
Such as? RM haven't said that they're also going to reduce deliveries/collections (above the changes they've already made in these areas). The only guaranteed change is the location of pickups if you miss a delivery, and as the arrangements for that haven't been confirmed, it can't be said to be worse, and may well be better.

>There will be not one solitary benefit for either the Public or the Workforce.
Workforce - probably little to no benefit, but do all the staff really live in Marple? Do none of them commute? Across the workforce as a whole it's likely to be a wash.
Public - if it keeps costs down, it keeps prices down, a definite benefit to the public. And who knows, the collection options for missed deliveries might also improve (couldn't get anymore restrictive)

>defend ... Local Jobs
Huh? The sorting office isn't being relocated abroad, or even to the other end of the country, just the centre of Stockport. How are local jobs under attack by this?

Duke Fame

« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2016, 11:07:24 AM »
Here are some people that you can contact if you'd like to help support the call to keep local sorting offices open:

I'm assuming it will be more efficient to have a central office and overall, will keep postage costs down.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2016, 06:18:35 AM »

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2016, 03:44:34 PM »
  Civic review the post office have said if the sorting office closes they will provide a local collection point for people to collect parcels ,

For  those that may be interested Amazon are instaling there lockers in Morrisons supermarkets .they have signed a contrack with morrisons  .

amazon

« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2016, 07:24:04 PM »
Because the variety, quality and value that I seek is not available in Marple shops.
So what sort of shops do you prefer Harry .to the ones in marple .

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2016, 05:20:40 PM »
Because the variety, quality and value that I seek is not available in Marple shops.
How odd. How long ago is it since you shopped in Marple? Or perhaps you never have, prefering to make assumptions based on nothing concrete.

amazon

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2016, 08:26:09 PM »
Idid mention this at marple Bridge post office this week they said we have no room for keeping parcells. .
  Civic review the post office have said if the sorting office closes they will provide a local collection point for people to collect parcels ,

amazon

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2016, 08:54:36 PM »
I have to say, collecting from the sorting office has only ever been a pain in the arse with its odd opening hours. Just across the border, parcels for New Mills area can instead be collected from their actual Post Office, which is open Mon-Sat 8am to 6pm!

I don't see why there couldn't be an agreement to do the same for Marple and have undelivered parcels taken there for collection instead. It is utterly absurd to consider sending them all the way into Stockport.

Oh no, maybe I can see why not - since they closed Hawk Green and Rose Hill and shrunk the only remaining Marple PO into that squashed-in counter at the back, maybe it couldn't handle demand? No wonder their postal business is shrinking, if they literally do it themselves!

As an aside, I don't know why they don't come up with a better kind of "safe place" system, like some kind of standardised lockable box for parcel deliveries. It would save all delivery companies a heck of a lot of time, money and pollution. The whole hoopla of missed deliveries and going to a collection office is totally archaic really...
Idid mention this at marple Bridge post office this week they said we have no room for keeping parcells. .

rsh

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2016, 08:37:21 PM »
I have to say, collecting from the sorting office has only ever been a pain in the arse with its odd opening hours. Just across the border, parcels for New Mills area can instead be collected from their actual Post Office, which is open Mon-Sat 8am to 6pm!

I don't see why there couldn't be an agreement to do the same for Marple and have undelivered parcels taken there for collection instead. It is utterly absurd to consider sending them all the way into Stockport.

Oh no, maybe I can see why not - since they closed Hawk Green and Rose Hill and shrunk the only remaining Marple PO into that squashed-in counter at the back, maybe it couldn't handle demand? No wonder their postal business is shrinking, if they literally do it themselves!

As an aside, I don't know why they don't come up with a better kind of "safe place" system, like some kind of standardised lockable box for parcel deliveries. It would save all delivery companies a heck of a lot of time, money and pollution. The whole hoopla of missed deliveries and going to a collection office is totally archaic really...

amazon

« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2016, 12:01:03 PM »
I have not entered this thread before as there is so much hot air on it.  Generally I don't disapprove of Asda, I just think the Marple one is too small and cramped for them to really show what they can do.  The site is small for a supermarket, and the aisles in the store are too narrow and the shelves too high.  However, their pricing is not bad, and the staff are friendly and helpful (after all the majority of them came from the Co-op anyway).  If you are in a position to choose your times of visiting the car park is not bad, but it does get overfull at busy times,e.g. just after school.  Right that is me said, I shall now shut up!
Why? Your comments are useful!

Harry

« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2016, 06:30:37 AM »

So why do you not choose to shopi  in Marple .

Barbara

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2016, 09:31:27 PM »
I have not entered this thread before as there is so much hot air on it.  Generally I don't disapprove of Asda, I just think the Marple one is too small and cramped for them to really show what they can do.  The site is small for a supermarket, and the aisles in the store are too narrow and the shelves too high.  However, their pricing is not bad, and the staff are friendly and helpful (after all the majority of them came from the Co-op anyway).  If you are in a position to choose your times of visiting the car park is not bad, but it does get overfull at busy times,e.g. just after school.  Right that is me said, I shall now shut up!