Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: 92-94 Church Lane Development  (Read 28008 times)

andrewbowden

Re: 92-94 Church Lane Development
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2019, 05:07:47 PM »
My perception of Marple's shops is that there are not that many empty ones and it is much better than when we moved here in the late 80s.

Currently I can think of:
  • Barnardo's and the one next to it that are currently being refurbished - I had heard that Barnardo's was coming back but it looks like it is going to be a new double-fronted store atm.
  • Room 85 - which has recently been taken over and will reopen soon.
  • Comix - next to Beer Traders, and which I heard Traders were hoping to extend into.
  • Chooies - which is being split into two new premises.
  • The former Post Office, which I understand now has permission to become a restaurant / bar.
  • The offices above Mackays.
I'm sure there must be others but it doesn't seem too bad to me compared to many High Streets.
How many others are there and what do we know of their prospects?

Beer Traders had a premises license application to spread into the Comix shop.  I presume it was approved as it's not on the list, and there's work going on in there.  I can't find the actual register for licenses.

Chiu's, there were some planning applications about re-configuring the building (application DC/071198), approved in January.  Plan was to split out the living accommodation with an external staircase, and retain a takeaway downstairs.  The documents imply the takeaway would be extended with a seating area.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2019, 04:02:14 PM »
One would think there is enough empty commercial property in Marple without building more.

My perception of Marple's shops is that there are not that many empty ones and it is much better than when we moved here in the late 80s.

Currently I can think of:
  • Barnardo's and the one next to it that are currently being refurbished - I had heard that Barnardo's was coming back but it looks like it is going to be a new double-fronted store atm.
  • Room 85 - which has recently been taken over and will reopen soon.
  • Comix - next to Beer Traders, and which I heard Traders were hoping to extend into.
  • Chooies - which is being split into two new premises.
  • The former Post Office, which I understand now has permission to become a restaurant / bar.
  • The offices above Mackays.
I'm sure there must be others but it doesn't seem too bad to me compared to many High Streets.
How many others are there and what do we know of their prospects?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

andrewbowden

« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2019, 03:31:40 PM »

I have heard a strong rumour that it will actually be the Co-Op! Of course this may not be true, it is only rumour as far as I know.

Some years ago I lived near a pub.  It was a busy pub.  But Tesco bought it, shut it down and opened a Tesco Express there. 

That new Tesco Express was a mere 100 metres from an already existing branch of Tesco Express (in that case a petrol station.)  You could walk it in about two minutes.  To this day both Tescos still exist.

So the fact that there's a Co-op five minutes walk away already is certainly no reason for it not to be another Co-op!  Indeed, not far from where I used to live there are now two Co-ops both within five minutes walk of each other.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2019, 03:17:48 PM »
What we know from the planning applications are thus:

• It's going to be retail
  • They've got planning permission for a cash machine
  • They've got someone lined up to take it.
  • They've asked - on behalf of the prospective tenant - for opening hours to be 7am-11pm seven days a week
That just screams small supermarket.  Something akin to the Co-op, a Tesco Express or Sainsburys Local.  What other shops that size almost always have a cash machine, and open that kind of hours?  There isn't anything.  The only question in my mind is who is the tenant?  One of the big companies, or someone else.

And yes, there's empty shops in Marple.  But nothing that's big enough to house something like a Tesco Express.  Even the old Natwest would be too small.  The old Post Office certainly is.  There's a reason  Tesco have taken over/destroyed several large pubs to make into supermarkets.  That's the size of building they want.

I have heard a strong rumour that it will actually be the Co-Op! Of course this may not be true, it is only rumour as far as I know.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

andrewbowden

« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2019, 02:54:48 PM »
Sad that they couldn't incorporate the Albert Schools' frontage in the re-build. Marple has lost too much of it's originality over the years.

Rumour has it that there is to be a "Convenience Store" on the ground floor front. One would think there is enough empty commercial property in Marple without building more.

What we know from the planning applications are thus:

• It's going to be retail
  • They've got planning permission for a cash machine
  • They've got someone lined up to take it.
  • They've asked - on behalf of the prospective tenant - for opening hours to be 7am-11pm seven days a week

That just screams small supermarket.  Something akin to the Co-op, a Tesco Express or Sainsburys Local.  What other shops that size almost always have a cash machine, and open that kind of hours?  There isn't anything.  The only question in my mind is who is the tenant?  One of the big companies, or someone else.

And yes, there's empty shops in Marple.  But nothing that's big enough to house something like a Tesco Express.  Even the old Natwest would be too small.  The old Post Office certainly is.  There's a reason  Tesco have taken over/destroyed several large pubs to make into supermarkets.  That's the size of building they want.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2019, 01:01:14 PM »
Albert Schools is no longer. Didn't take long to demolish it. RIP.
Sad that they couldn't incorporate the Albert Schools' frontage in the re-build. Marple has lost too much of it's originality over the years.

Rumour has it that there is to be a "Convenience Store" on the ground floor front. One would think there is enough empty commercial property in Marple without building more.

amazon

« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2019, 07:09:53 PM »
no photos .

Cyberman

« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2019, 05:39:36 PM »

amazon

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2019, 03:30:29 PM »
Some more great photos of the staff at E&E Workwear in the Albert Schools building on their last day taken by Arthur Procter have been added to the Virtual History Tour:

https://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-192

Like the bacon butty on the table

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2019, 10:41:33 AM »
Some more great photos of the staff at E&E Workwear in the Albert Schools building on their last day taken by Arthur Procter have been added to the Virtual History Tour:

https://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-192

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Susan

« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2019, 07:07:42 PM »
Nope they have closed the doors for good. 

Jay

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2019, 12:58:53 PM »
Are they relocating or was it just another case of management with the right price? Good luck to you all in what ever you do especially my ex neighbour x

amazon

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2019, 12:13:38 PM »
End of a era today.  I have run around this place since I was a little girl.   :'(
Good luck to you all.

Susan

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2019, 06:22:09 AM »
End of a era today.  I have run around this place since I was a little girl.   :'(

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2019, 02:44:37 PM »
Paid a trip to E&E Workwear in the old Albert Schools building on Church Lane today to record it for posterity before demolition:

Over 80 photos now on the Virtual History Tour: https://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=192

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website