Myers Tree Care - Dedicated to Quality Tree Care

Author Topic: Commuting from Marple to Didsbury  (Read 4354 times)

PhilB

Re: Commuting from Marple to Didsbury
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 08:21:31 AM »
I don't want to put you off Marple either! A great place to live ( you have obviously identified this!) Early start early finish is my advice.
Will we see a shift in traffic congestion, when the new airport link road opens? I am not sure!!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 05:44:15 AM »
Cyberman's right, Stockport to Marple around 5pm is dreadful. An early start is a good option, the earlier the better, and then an early finish at 4pm or a later finish after 6pm would be better options. When I was working we had an option for a 40 hour 4.5 day week or a 9 day fortnight, so we could start early and finish late 4 days a week and then finish at lunchtime on Friday. Others used to work a full day one Friday then have the second one off. Would your employer have any flexibility like this?
Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website

Cyberman

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 11:28:40 PM »
I work in Trafford Park so I go through Stockport to the M60. I leave at 6:30 and get to work at about 7:05 - quite acceptable. Leave work at about 3:45, Stockport 4:00, home at 4:30 - there is usually a bit of a queue on the M60 approaching Stockport then traffic on Marple Rd is quite busy - perhaps a 5 - 10 min queue approaching Dan Bank. But if I hit Stockport at 5, I would guess at > 45mins from there to Marple.

I can't think of a better alternative route. You can go through Romiley and Compstall but I don't think it's much better.

Hope I'm not putting you off! Marple has many advantages but good road links are not amongst them.

AMurray

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 10:04:55 PM »
Thanks PhilB and Cyberman

Sounds like the journey to work will be fine, the issue is the return during the rush hour. When you say it's a nightmare, what sort of time does it take?

Also, is there any other better of getting from the M60 to Marple without having to go through Stockport?

Thanks

Cyberman

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 09:49:07 PM »
I agree with PhilB. Leaving at 7 no prob - traffic just starting to build up. But returning, you need to be at Stockport before 16:00 or the queue to Marple will be horrendous. First the bit to Offerton, then approaching the Dan Bank lights. The Dan Bank junction seems to be worse since they did some rearrangement of the road markings.

PhilB

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 09:38:31 PM »
Traffic is a problem! Leaving at 7 is not such a problem as the traffic is still light but 15 minutes later and you are queuing. Coming into Marple from 5pm is a nightmare. The traffic flow is not to bad until you hit the Marple boundaries and that could take up the majority of your journey time. I work at the airport and now works 730 to 1530 to avoidthe traffic. It takes well over an hour off my commute time per day.

AMurray

Commuting from Marple to Didsbury
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 09:17:49 PM »
Hi there

I’m looking for a bit of advice please. We are moving up to Manchester from the south coast and are currently looking for somewhere to live. I have a new job based in Didsbury. We have a number of criteria for the location search and so far everything is pointing towards Marple as the place to be for us:

A place in its own right, not Manchester sprawl
Close to the country side, good for walking
Good train connections to Manchester city centre for my partner
Good amenities locally
House prices not too expensive (compared to places like Wilmslow and Knutsford)

The one uncertainly I have though is a number of people on here have said that driving out of Marple can be a nightmare on weekdays. Is it really that bad? (currently I’m used to commuting an hour each way for work on the south coast). I would be leaving Marple at 7am each weekday, and returning from Didsbury at 5pm. How long does that really take on average?

Any advise greatly appreciated please

Thanks