Michelle Reynolds Podiatrist, Marple

Linked Events

• Launch of Red Hat Guide to Manchester City Centre: May 15, 2016

Author Topic: New Red Hat Guide to Manchester City Centre will help Marple Skatepark!  (Read 17022 times)

K.C.Dowling

Re: New Red Hat Guide to Manchester City Centre will help Marple Skatepark!
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 05:57:04 PM »
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all at The Marple Skatepark project from all at The Red Hat Guide.

For those who are interested in wanting to know more, please enjoy our short 3 minute video linked below:

Thank you

K.C. Dowling

[attachment deleted by admin]

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: New Red Hat Guide to Manchester City Centre will help Marple Skatepark!
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 04:40:57 PM »
I'm delighted to report that I've just had a visit from Mr @Kevin Dowling who, as promised back in April, has handed over £192 toward the Skatepark Project from the sales of his book, the Red Hat Guide to Manchester City Centre. A huge thank you to Kevin for his great support of Friends of the Park. This takes his personal contribution to an excellent £464 from the sales of A Man of Insignificance and the Red Hat Guide. Brilliant!

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

K.C.Dowling

Less than 100 pages, yet very informative Kevin said.

I am very much looking forward to my Manchester trip, in that famous sunny Manchester weather.  It's mostly indoors anyway!

Thank you Geoff, actually it isn't mostly indoors, there are 20 suggested stops in the guide and 17 0f them are outdoors.

ta41700

We started at Piccadilly and it took us approx 6 hours  (note a couple of visits to pubs for refreshments including lunch).  Marple and Mellor will be another day if the weather ever bucks up!

K.C.Dowling

....Well we managed to do the tour of Manchester midweek and fell lucky with the weather for most of the day.  The Red Hat Guide was excellent and twinned with my earlier conversation with the author KC Dowling we managed to see most of the historical sites in the book.  My Canadian relatives loved the old backstreet pubs and atmosphere and the guide gave us the historical information which made the tour so interesting.  Highly recommend this guide even if you think you know Manchester!

Well done salemoorgirl, you and your Canadian relatives seemed to have enjoyed it, I'm pleased and thank you for this posting.

I was just pondering. You said that you were lucky With the weather and I'm assuming your relatives are able-bodied, how long did the tour take you and did you start at Marple or Piccadilly?

CllrGeoffAbell

Less than 100 pages, yet very informative Kevin said.

I am very much looking forward to my Manchester trip, in that famous sunny Manchester weather.  It's mostly indoors anyway!

ta41700

I collected my copy of The Red Hat Guide and also met the author Kevin Dowling.  He was really helpful with tips for my sightseeing trip with family arriving today and the book is a straightforward and comprehensive guide to places of interest. The family is a mixed age group so we'll see how they fare on this walkabout next week. More to come.
....Well we managed to do the tour of Manchester midweek and fell lucky with the weather for most of the day.  The Red Hat Guide was excellent and twinned with my earlier conversation with the author KC Dowling we managed to see most of the historical sites in the book.  My Canadian relatives loved the old backstreet pubs and atmosphere and the guide gave us the historical information which made the tour so interesting.  Highly recommend this guide even if you think you know Manchester!

ta41700

I have family coming from Canada for a holiday arriving on Saturday and decided to have a look at The Red Hat Guide to Manchester. II will be calling into the Springfield Hotel tomorrow to meet the author Kevin Dowling and i'll keep you updated on the book.
  I collected my copy of The Red Hat Guide and also met the author Kevin Dowling.  He was really helpful with tips for my sightseeing trip with family arriving today and the book is a straightforward and comprehensive guide to places of interest. The family is a mixed age group so we'll see how they fare on this walkabout next week. More to come. ....

ta41700

I have family coming from Canada for a holiday arriving on Saturday and decided to have a look at The Red Hat Guide to Manchester. II will be calling into the Springfield Hotel tomorrow to meet the author Kevin Dowling and i'll keep you updated on the book.

K.C.Dowling

Thanks admin,

As you say I am more than happy to answer any questions queries or critiques posted on this site.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
New Red Hat Guide to Manchester City Centre will help Marple Skatepark!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 06:07:08 AM »
We have some great news in that the immiment publication of the new Red Hat Guide to Manchester City Centre will help to raise funds for Marple Skatepark Development Project.

The Red Hat Guide is written by local author K.C.Dowling, whose first novel, "A Man of Insignificance", has so far raised a total of £272 towards the project.

It's hoped that if the sales of the Red Hat Guide go well a sum of around £190 will be raised but of course that's dependant on the success of the book sales.

This easy tour takes us on foot through Manchester City Centre. It is not strenuous and can be completed comfortably within three or four hours. This includes the three pub stops, less time if you are abstemious.

We cannot hope to see all of Manchester in this time, much longer would be needed to accomplish this. The Red Hat Guide is not a lecture tour, nor is it intended as a serious, chronologically ordered, history lesson. You will not discover within its pages, tips on the best restaurants, the cheapest hotels, where the shops are, the number of the bus to take you to a specific destination, what shows are currently playing in town or the addresses of any resident celebrities. There is enough of this information to be found elsewhere and this guide does not seek to inform on any of that.

What you will see, during this walk will be some of the city's incredible statues and some of the magnificent buildings of Manchester. We will learn about some of the famous or infamous incidents that took place and we will hear about some of the sons, daughters and residents of, and visitors to, this city.

For the less earnest and more casual amongst us, this short journey can be thought of as a moderate stroll around one of today's world significant cities, hopefully in the famous 'Manchester sunshine,' with perhaps a few interesting distractions and stories along the way.

The guide will sell for for £8.99 and the best way to purchase is direct from the author at the Springfield Hotel. More purchasing options will be added as they become available.

The book will be formally launched on Sunday 15 May 2016. More details of this will be added soon.

We would welcome your thoughts and questions on the guide, which hopefully the author will be able to answer here.

For more information visit the author's own web site: http://kcdowling.com/an-anecdotal-stroll-around-manchester/

You can also follow the Red Hat Guide on Social Media:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RedHatGuide

Twitter: @RedHatGuidemcr https://twitter.com/RedHatGuidemcr

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website