Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Macclesfield Canal Towpath Improvements  (Read 2537 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Macclesfield Canal Towpath Improvements
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 02:08:20 PM »
There was such a group called Marple Locks Heritage Society formed in 2003 but they folded last year after key members retired following 12 years service and nobody was prepared to step into the key roles and take the lead. I understood that some former MLHS volunteers were still going to work directly with CRT on maintaining and improving the canals, so @adventurer_marple 's response from CRT is a bit confusing as they should know if there is a volunteer group working with them in this area.

I'm still waiting for a final round-up and minutes etc from MLHS to add to their web site. Maybe these will reveal more when / if they become available.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

adventurer_marple

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 10:09:12 AM »
Neither,
I am a cyclist/walker who uses the towpath regularly from the bridge near doodfield and when you pass bridge 5 when wet the divets are pooled up with water and when you get to pass the Goyt Mill, the path is so muddy, it could do with some improvements. I received a reply from CRT who said they would help do the work if there was a local group who do work parties.

Russ

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 09:03:53 AM »
Are there any volunteer groups within Marple that do work parties on the canal towpaths improving the condition such as filling in some of the large divets with gravel.

Are you a contractor looking for volunteer labour? Or a volunteer looking to join a group?

adventurer_marple

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 08:51:39 AM »
Thanks I'll give these a try.
It is relating to the condition of the towpath which would benefit from a little gravel being put down into the largest divets.

prestbury

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 09:29:24 PM »
Not sure of any specific bodies within Marple but the following 3 organsiations will know what does go on in the area with the use of volunteers.

Macclesfield Canal Society

Inland Waterways Association - Manchester Branch

Canal & River Trust - Manchester & Pennine Area

adventurer_marple

Macclesfield Canal Towpath Improvements
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 06:39:57 PM »
Are there any volunteer groups within Marple that do work parties on the canal towpaths improving the condition such as filling in some of the large divets with gravel.