Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Speeding on Strines Road  (Read 7716 times)

EmmyJane Designs

Re: Speeding on Strines Road
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2016, 07:58:09 AM »
Yesterday's overtaking manoeuvre was the worse one yet.
I was on the straight stretch, just after the Arkwright road turning heading towards New Mills. This new shaped fiesta came racing up to my bumper, overtook me and what was so shocking was the fact he appeared to be taking a 'selfie'.
I got a good look at the driver, he was small, dark haired and between 17-22.
After the first set of bends this black suped up fiesta was parked up on the pavement on the wrong side of the road. He maybe lives there. Someone may know him from my description of car and driver. He needs a good talking to.

Regarding the speed camera:   A good friend ended up with a speeding fine from driving along Strines road ( last summer). She chose to go on the speed awareness course.
At the time she was.racing back from a family holiday when her father fell ill on the flight home. She was travelling at midnight doing 38 mph. Sadly her father died a few months after. No excuse I know. It shows that cameras are being used occasionally.

rsh

Re: Strines Traffic
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 10:46:42 AM »
This morning, there was a serious road accident on Strines Road outside the Royal Oak pub.

Whilst at this stage, we don't know the causes, I think we need to start seriously considering alterations and implementing speed calming measures. The longer stretch of the road from The Sportsman down past the development and the section from Lower Strines Road down to 67 Strines Road are incredibly dangerous places to be if you are a cyclist or pedestrian.

What are your thoughts?

Agreed, Strines Road should often be the most direct route for me cycling but after one too many idiotic overtakes on blind bends I tend to stick to the canal instead. So perhaps there's one part of the answer, if you want to do something round here, Tom - work on improving all the terribly poor patches of that towpath and promote it as an off-road route along the valley to Strines, Disley, New Mills and beyond. It actually goes in a perfect direction for many peoples' travel and is the perfect way to avoid the B6101 and A6. It would probably be cheaper to acheive than any road changes and would transform the canal into a true asset. Indeed, upon leaving Marple south along the Peak Forest it's shocking how suddenly the towpath degrades - with those fabulous views it could be a real tourism draw too.

Of course, we shouldn't be driven off the roads by the 0.1% who can't drive, but I'm unsure what traffic calming measures would really work along there. Perhaps all those hollow speed camera signs could finally be given some reason by installing an actual camera, if only for a short period? By now people know they're a hollow threat and drive as they please.

nbt

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 10:26:10 AM »
Most times when an accident makes the papers it turns out that as well as speeding, the culprit is driving without license and insurance. How about giving the Police the resources to get these idiots off the road before they have an accident. One for you - Mr Dowse.

That's normally because it's the fact that the driver is  driving without license and insurance that makes it "newsworthy". The fact that an accident happened is now so commonplace that it's no longer seen as being news, unless it seriously inconveniences people.
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

andy+kirsty

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 08:41:16 AM »
Is it not just Darwinism?

I doubt the person who was driving along Strines will do so again. There must be hundreds if not thousands of cars travelling safely up and down that road each day and all of them, except this chap(ess), have managed to reach New Mills in one piece.

There will always be the fair share of idiots and no amount of coloured tarmac will change that.

I fear that our newly elected Councillor wants to be seen to be doing something - but I don't think that speed bumps, chicanes, flashing lights are going to do the trick. Perhaps make the person who crashed stand in the spot with a large sandwich board with something like 'I'm a tool' on it.

If it were a risk assessment although the potential outcome is serious, the likelihood is minuscule - one in many thousands. A lot less risky than a trip around the M60 or into Manchester.

A

JMC

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 12:17:14 AM »
The family members I have that live on Strines Rd, and many neighbours,  are strongly in favour of traffic calming.

Cyberman

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 05:43:38 PM »
I don't see that there is any structural problem there. If people use a bit of common sense, it's a perfectly safe bit of road.
Agree 100% with all this comment. Traffic calming is a pain in the butt - and I think detracts from safe driving as motorists concentrate on plotting the path of least resistance round the humps rather than studying the road ahead.

Most times when an accident makes the papers it turns out that as well as speeding, the culprit is driving without license and insurance. How about giving the Police the resources to get these idiots off the road before they have an accident. One for you - Mr Dowse.

Howard

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 04:35:44 PM »
i saw a number of police, fire and ambulance vehicles racing towards strines this morning. hope noone is too badly hurt, or worse.

incidentally, i also heard a crash a couple of weeks ago too, one sunday evening on Hibbert Lane, heard a car going ridiculously fast down from hawk green, towards the mill, then a screech and a big bang. i was alone with my kids so couldnt leave to see what had happened. Oddly, i heard nothing afterwards at all, i expected to hear shouting or sirens, but nothing but silence.

however, the fence of the house opposite ecclesbridge road looks destroyed, so i guess (s)he hit that. probably ran/drove off afterwards.

Was ridiculously fast, so stupid.

Yep. I've seen that fence but have heard nothing about it at all. There is certainly enough left of the car on the other side of the fence to see it was a really quite serious accident. However, it seems likely to me that it was a stolen car being driven like that for thrills.

acoustician

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 03:52:02 PM »
i saw a number of police, fire and ambulance vehicles racing towards strines this morning. hope noone is too badly hurt, or worse.

incidentally, i also heard a crash a couple of weeks ago too, one sunday evening on Hibbert Lane, heard a car going ridiculously fast down from hawk green, towards the mill, then a screech and a big bang. i was alone with my kids so couldnt leave to see what had happened. Oddly, i heard nothing afterwards at all, i expected to hear shouting or sirens, but nothing but silence.

however, the fence of the house opposite ecclesbridge road looks destroyed, so i guess (s)he hit that. probably ran/drove off afterwards.

Was ridiculously fast, so stupid.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 03:32:49 PM »
I've merged these two topics as they are closely related.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

mikes

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 01:27:53 PM »
I wondered why there was so many sirens and flashing lights going through Marple this morning.

Condate

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 01:12:39 PM »
I don't see that there is any structural problem there. If people use a bit of common sense, it's a perfectly safe bit of road. Obviously, for car drivers, that means driving at a speed suitable for the conditions. That is often lower than the 30mph speed limit. Personally, I've always hated traffic calming measures, as they generally inconvenience the vast majority of drivers who are sensible anyway, as fail to stop the idiots from being a danger to themselves and other people. Adding traffic calming so often seems to be an example of what Sir Humphrey Appleby in Yes Prime Minister called the 'Politicians' fallacy'. "Something must be done. This is something. Therefore it must be done".

TomDowseMarpleSouth

Strines Traffic
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 12:48:05 PM »
This morning, there was a serious road accident on Strines Road outside the Royal Oak pub.

Whilst at this stage, we don't know the causes, I think we need to start seriously considering alterations and implementing speed calming measures. The longer stretch of the road from The Sportsman down past the development and the section from Lower Strines Road down to 67 Strines Road are incredibly dangerous places to be if you are a cyclist or pedestrian.

What are your thoughts?

EmmyJane Designs

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 12:40:46 PM »
This morning there was a serious accident outside the Royal Oak.
Strines road was closed. At least 2 fire engines, police and air ambulance, Involved. A local chap told me the driver was speeding and rolled the car.
I really hope there weren't any other casualties  :(

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 02:46:00 PM »
At the moment I'm driving to New Mills and back (or when possible taking the bus) from Marple at least 5 days a week.

Many motorists seem unaware that most of Strines road is a 30 mph zone and many times I get overtaken and this is when I'm driving at 32 mph.
Please slow down, it's not a race track. It's narrow in places, very windy and is used by a lot of cyclists and quite often horses.
Anyone who has passed their driving test should know that where there are street lamps in a built up area the speed limit is 30mph unless there is signage indicating a different limit.

"Slip Corner" on Strines Road is not so named for a joke.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 06:30:46 AM »
It's no surprise that the three fatal accidents in the Marple area in the last ten years have been where there is a speeding problem; Strines and Windlehurst. You can see them on this map http://www.crashmap.co.uk/

That's a reavealing site @Howard .

The spot the person we saw overtaking was roughly between Kinder Drive and Lime Kiln Lane, so perfectly set for the same spot as one of the fatalities (black flag).

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website