Certified Charter Accountants in Marple

Author Topic: Parking in Marple Bridge and at Marple Station  (Read 18598 times)

Barbara

Re: Parking in Marple Bridge and at Marple Station
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2016, 07:51:30 AM »
They are all on Winnington and Bradshaw Roads!

Middle wood

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2016, 11:35:24 PM »
I think that the parking issues around Rose Hill last week,when Marple was operating on replacement buses, pretty much demonstrated how unsuitable Rose Hill station is for expansion.

The cars parked on Dale Road and the approach to the station made both these roads one way at times. A downright nuisance when trying to get onto or off Stockport Road.

Not sure where the cars are going with the Pakora car park still out of action. I can't honestly say I've noticed any problems around Marple station but maybe the school holidays are helping reduce the demand this week.

Howard

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2016, 08:55:45 AM »
I did when working in Manchester. Had to manage time according to workload, early to bed etc.
No shame in wearing w'proofs or using a brolly.

I have travelled by car to work over the Pennines when I have had to leave the car & walk, the conditions were that bad. Never seen any weather that would stop me walking to Marple station. Driving yes, over the years I've seen cars stuck for days in snow around Marple. Never bad enough to stop me walking.

Good man @Russ There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes and the wrong shoes.

Dave

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2016, 11:12:18 PM »
If Rose Hill via Bredbury goes to tram trains that leaves Marple with old diesel trains

No.  The 'old diesel trains' will have been replaced some years before tram-train comes along (if it ever does!).

It is also unlikely that GM transport will support 4 peak time trains per hour from Marple to run in competition to their favoured Rose Hill trams. 

Why should there be more than the present two trains per hour from Marple?  Given the extra capacity of the tram-trains running from Rose Hill and Romiley, that should be sufficient. 

I am not sure that Rose Hill tram trains should be classed as an improvement with street running replacing a dedicated line and only 60 seats in a tram as opposed to 150 in a train.

Two Class 142 DMUs have 120 seats, not 150.  There are two trains per hour, making a total of 240 seats per hour.  Trams have 60 seats plus much more standing room.  There will be five tram-trains per hour, making a total of 300 seats per hour.  That is greater capacity, and a great improvement on the present service.

Like I say this will transfer the parking issue up the hill.

There can never be much more parking space at Rose Hill.  And that end of Marple is already a peak-time traffic jam.  A lot of people will continue to use Marple, many of them transferring at Romiley to a tram-train at the same platform. 

wheels

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2016, 10:47:37 PM »
Well I pay something every year, whatever it is called now, and that is what I meant.

Road fund tax was a tax charged on vehicles and was used for the maintenance of roads. This was abolished in 1937 and you now pay vehicle exceise duty. This goes into general taxation and has nothing whatsoever to do with the upkeep of roads or what many drivers see as their right to claim some sort of priority over other road users.

hatter76

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2016, 09:57:25 PM »
No I am not saying that that the Marple service would be made slower or reduced. Not sure why that should be the case.
If Rose Hill via Bredbury goes to tram trains that leaves Marple with old diesel trains going via Hyde which is 13 miles as opposed to 9 and 34 minutes as opposed to 24. You have absolutely no plans to improve services from Marple despite your frequent statements.  It is also unlikely that GM transport will support 4 peak time trains per hour from Marple to run in competition to their favoured Rose Hill trams. 

Without going over old ground I am not sure that Rose Hill tram trains should be classed as an improvement with street running replacing a dedicated line and only 60 seats in a tram as opposed to 150 in a train.

Like I say this will transfer the parking issue up the hill.

JohnBates

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2016, 09:15:03 PM »
What you are really saying here is that Marple will be left with a much slower and probably reduced service via Hyde as a result of the Rose Hill tram trains. People won't want to park at Marple in such great numbers and the problem will move up to Rose Hill.

No I am not saying that that the Marple service would be made slower or reduced. Not sure why that should be the case.

simonesaffron

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2016, 08:31:51 PM »
I did when working in Manchester. Had to manage time according to workload, early to bed etc.

I have travelled by car to work over the Pennines when I have had to leave the car & walk, the conditions were that bad. Never seen any weather that would stop me walking to Marple station. Driving yes, over the years I've seen cars stuck for days in snow around Marple. Never bad enough to stop me walking.

Tremendous post Russ, Love it. 'No shame in wearing w'proofs or using a brolly.' Absolutely not, poetic prose . Cheered me up no end on a Monday night with my bottle of Gewurtztraminer,

Russ

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2016, 07:31:30 PM »
Point well made Russ, but do you walk it there and back everyday in all weathers and are you racing the clock because of a busy schedule when you do it.

hatter76

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2016, 07:16:38 PM »

I think that a better Rose Hill service would definitely help, and longer term tram/train to Rose Hill would improve things further.

What you are really saying here is that Marple will be left with a much slower and probably reduced service via Hyde as a result of the Rose Hill tram trains. People won't want to park at Marple in such great numbers and the problem will move up to Rose Hill.

simonesaffron

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2016, 05:47:43 PM »
Point well made Russ, but do you walk it there and back everyday in all weathers and are you racing the clock because of a busy schedule when you do it.

Blossom

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2016, 05:38:04 PM »
No you don't. ...nobody pays road fund tax, it was abolished in 1937

Well I pay something every year, whatever it is called now, and that is what I meant.

Russ

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2016, 02:36:43 PM »
I live (Google maps) 1.5 miles by road or 1.3 miles on foot from Marple station, I wouldn't dream of parking down there when I can walk it in under half an hour.

There must be a lot of people with less mobility, don't want the exercise, or who live further away eg Turf Lea, Windlehurst, Far end of Mellor, Chisworth, etc. People living on Strines new estate where trains stop less frequent. Jobs in Marple bridge; shops, cafe's & pubs could be people from outside the area. Teachers & workers at Ludworth school may come in from outside, very little parking at the school. Contractors working on homes & business's need to park locally.

If local people unnecessarily take up the spaces, where will all these people park? We have to be more considerate to people who have little or no alternative. Or provide a lot more parking.

It might help if children walked to school like most of us oldies would have done. Keep childhood obesity down.

simonesaffron

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2016, 01:29:40 PM »
...CTND...Millsers have taken their parking spaces.

simonesaffron

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2016, 01:27:19 PM »
True up to a point. However if parking easier, may get more local people parking rather than walking etc.

It's possible, but surely John even that is better than outsiders taking up parking spaces. At least those spaces are being taken up by locals. The locals should have the choice of whether they walk or dive to the station, they shouldn't be forced to walk because New