Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Construction Site adjacent to the Hydro.  (Read 4413 times)

tonyjones

Re: Construction Site adjacent to the Hydro.
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 08:47:39 PM »
The 'Culvert' below the main Stockport road is actually a stone built tunnel. The first part was probably built in the late 1790s  at part of the turnpike from Stockport to Marple Bridge and may have been a 'County' bridge as it was on the boundary of Marple and Offerton. It was later extended on the Otterspool side, again in stone.

amazon

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 08:41:18 PM »
wow if that collapsed there would be traffic nightmare for months.

The culverts way below the road at the bottom must be twenty foot at least. from road to culvert .

mikes

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 08:54:49 AM »
wow if that collapsed there would be traffic nightmare for months. 

the rover

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 06:34:14 AM »
Re Dan Bank - I read somewhere that they are repairing the culvert and are doing all of the work from underneath so that the road does not have to be dug up thus causing massive traffic jams. Hence the steps going down from the site cabin.

Gandalf

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 08:02:15 PM »
Don't know about Dan Bank but have noticed it. Probably to do with the stream culvert under the road.
Latest on the fence for the Mill Lane side of the "Construction Site" is that it may not be as substantial as suggested. A second entrance has been made onto the lane at the far end of the site.

GM

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 01:11:32 PM »
Actually there are planning application for that area.

DC/060069 is for the steel fencing
DC/056815 is for filling in the leat

Barbara

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 10:35:22 AM »
On a related topic, what are they doing at the bottom of Dan Bank?

Gandalf

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 10:17:09 AM »
Stockport Hydro is not connected to the adjacent site and the work there is not related to the problems they have had with one of our turbines. The failure was not from design but faulty concrete work supporting the underwater bearing and this has now been rectified. Investigation work on the second turbine is planned when the river drops low enough for only one turbine. Some remedial work is envisaged for this one also.
New Mills Torrs Hydro have suffered a bearing failure. Theirs is an earlier design than Stockport Hydro which has grease-lubricated bearings and not water-lubricated. They are currently upgrading theirs to the new standard but have been delayed by high river levels, just as Stockport was. Work has started but has been hampered by the winter storms filling the entire site with silt, but the new bearing should be fitted in the next few weeks.

Gandalf

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 09:56:37 AM »
Sorry I was a long time coming back on this but I couldn't find the topic! The land referred to was sold by SMBC some 3 years ago and is Green Belt so no building is allowed and there appear to be constraints on the use. It is owned by Tyrone Stone who are using it to store their materials. It is currently going through a busy phase as they have imported considerable material to level the site and some of it is being graded and sorted. As neighbours we have been assured that there will be more landscaping later and have no problems so far.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 09:27:01 AM »
@hollins the orginal query is about the land behind the Hydro, they are filling in an old canal arm or something like that I think.

We did have someone called @Gandalf register who who volunteers for the Hydro and I thought was going to explain this to us. Maybe this will prompt him to do so.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

hollins

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 09:15:03 AM »
I think they are replacing the broken bottom bearing for one of the two turbines. It seems to be a design flaw.

I don't know if a similar problem is preventing the New Mills Hydro scheme from generating at present.

Neil Smith

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 11:19:38 PM »
Just getting this renewed as I was also wondering what's happening, I haven't been able to find any planning apps either?

beverley hills

Construction Site adjacent to the Hydro.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 08:18:57 PM »
Does anyone know what is happening to the area of land adjacent to the Hydro. Construction work / site clearance has being going on for months. I have not seen any information about it at all.