Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Does anyone use doorstep milk delivery?  (Read 10010 times)

corium

Re: Does anyone use doorstep milk delivery?
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 04:45:05 PM »
McQueens are a Scottish firm based in Glasgow and their nearest depots to Marple are Warrington and Huddersfield. They do not source their milk locally and deliver in plastic bottles not reusable glass ones.
McQueens will deliver in glass bottles, but it's slightly more expensive

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2016, 04:16:54 PM »
Mrs barndoor answered a knock on the door a few months ago to a friendly chap from McQueens Dairies who was offering a milk delivery service. It was a timely call, as we'd been talking for months about starting a milk delivery (lugging 4 litre bottles around three or four times a week was starting to become a nuisance), and she accepted his offer. We've been having our milk delivered by them ever since, and we've been very pleased with the faultless service. So it's a recommendation from us.
McQueens are a Scottish firm based in Glasgow and their nearest depots to Marple are Warrington and Huddersfield. They do not source their milk locally and deliver in plastic bottles not reusable glass ones. All in all not much to recommend them in my view. (Correction: Just found out that McQueens have a depot in Gt Ancoats Street in Manchester. Hmmm,)

Middletons are based in Hathersage which isn't very near Marple but they source their milk in this area from Jacksons in Hazel Grove who source their milk locally. And it comes in glass bottles. Unfortunately they don't supply non-homogenised milk. Not that it matters in the wide scheme of things but non-homogenised milk tastes better IMO.

Peej

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2016, 10:28:51 AM »
We live in the Rose Hill area and use J Evans and can thoroughly recommend them.
The milk is always there at 6:30am when I open the front door, in fact on some days during the winter it arrives the night before!
On some days when I am working at home i have seen Middleton's delivering at 8:30am when most people have gone off to work.

marpleexile

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 06:53:23 PM »
Perhaps he  has a elderly person at home and needs to keep in touch .

That's not an excuse to break the law though - you pull over and stop to take/make the call, or invest in a hands free kit.

amazon

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 03:59:38 PM »
You'll see from my earlier post...and Tina's that he doesn't usually deliver until gone 7am and when he does he is often driving whilst talking on his mobile phone which is illegal, plain dangerous and he's supposed to be a milk delivery person not a phone operator  ???  If I catch him at it again I will flounce to one of these other suppliers  ;D
Perhaps he  has a elderly person at home and needs to keep in touch .

elpram

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 02:21:48 PM »
Phone Jacksons at Hazel Grove. They are the suppliers for several rounds in the district and will give you contact details.

Incidentally, what's wrong with Middletons? The chap who delivers in the Buxton Lane Marple area seems pretty efficient. Delivers about 3am so milk is always available at breakfast time and doesn't have to stand out in the sun. I've had no problems with quality.

You'll see from my earlier post...and Tina's that he doesn't usually deliver until gone 7am and when he does he is often driving whilst talking on his mobile phone which is illegal, plain dangerous and he's supposed to be a milk delivery person not a phone operator  ???  If I catch him at it again I will flounce to one of these other suppliers  ;D

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 04:47:21 PM »
Phone Jacksons at Hazel Grove. They are the suppliers for several rounds in the district and will give you contact details. According to their manager the milk they supply is sourced from local farmers who get a decent return on their costs. It also comes in glass bottles. What's not to like?

Incidentally, what's wrong with Middletons? The chap who delivers in the Buxton Lane Marple area seems pretty efficient. Delivers about 3am so milk is always available at breakfast time and doesn't have to stand out in the sun. I've had no problems with quality or regularity of delivery. The milkman leaves a monthly bill which I pay by debit card over the phone so no sticky little fingers pinching money left out for the milkman.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 04:40:02 PM »
If so, apart from Middletons, who delivers in Marple Rose Hill area?
Phone Jacksons at Hazel Grove. They are the suppliers for several rounds in the district and will give you contact details.

Incidentally, what's wrong with Middletons? The chap who delivers in the Buxton Lane Marple area seems pretty efficient. Delivers about 3am so milk is always available at breakfast time and doesn't have to stand out in the sun. I've had no problems with quality.

tina

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 11:12:09 AM »
I don't see him, most days he's not been when I leave at 7:30.

Howard

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 09:29:37 PM »
@elpram Jonathan Evans in New Mills is on 01663 741108

elpram

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 08:50:02 PM »
Thanks for those suggestions....I will give them a call if I can find phone numbers.

Tina, out of interest, when the Middletons chap gets to you does he tend to be chatting on his mobile phone?  He sometimes doesn't get to me until 7 and if I'm up and look out I always seem to find him driving, or even worse reversing, into our close with his mobile stuck to his ear. He gets out of his truck, gets the milk off and brings it to my door all the while chatting away then gets back in and drive off....still talking  ???
I've reported it twice to the dairy but he's still at it 😔

ringi

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 05:36:16 PM »
We get our milk delivered by Tesco once a week, it remains fresh for a weak in our fridge.    They will also deliver over food items at the same timeā€¦

barndoor

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 04:53:29 PM »
Mrs barndoor answered a knock on the door a few months ago to a friendly chap from McQueens Dairies who was offering a milk delivery service. It was a timely call, as we'd been talking for months about starting a milk delivery (lugging 4 litre bottles around three or four times a week was starting to become a nuisance), and she accepted his offer. We've been having our milk delivered by them ever since, and we've been very pleased with the faultless service. So it's a recommendation from us.

Russ

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 10:53:01 AM »
I see the milkman delivering at 10.30pm? Don't know who they are but I'll bet the birds like them, they have all night to tuck in.

tina

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 10:44:40 PM »
I live in Rose Hill and my milk is delivered by Middletons, my neighbours have a different milk man I will ask them tomorrow who they use.