Estate agency, done differently in Marple and District

Author Topic: Help! Dangerous broken glass on Middlewood Way not cleaned up  (Read 5750 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Help! Dangerous broken glass on Middlewood Way not cleaned up
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 11:23:05 AM »
Good to have it gone before the weekend, thank you for chasing up @CllrKennyBlair
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

CllrKennyBlair

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 11:12:01 AM »
Checked again this morning and all rubbish, glass and sofa removed.

CllrKennyBlair

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 05:55:02 PM »
I checked again this evening and unfortunately it has not been removed. I have gone back to the Council Officer again and just happen to have a meeting with the Greenspace Manager tomorrow on Middlewood Way, so if not moved by then, will show him the offending item.

marplerambler

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 04:50:59 PM »
Admin and Cllr Blair,
Thank you for reporting this to SKSolutions. I passed it on Tuesday but it slipped my mind.

This is the second sofa dumped there in the last two weeks.

A couple of years ago we had a bad time at the same spot. On one occasion there was a large very heavy old computer which I carried to the tip, an old-fashioned television type monitor thrown from the bridge which I carried to the tip and cleared all of the broken shards from the screen. Finally I also pushed a dumped sofa from the bridge to the A-stile/horse step on the Middlewood Way at the side of the tip, went onto the tip to ask for help to get the sofa over the horse stile to be told by the staff that they would not assist as the item was outside the site. I managed to stand the sofa upright and topple it over the horse stile but I had pushed it all the way from Throstle Grove - I had spent a lot of time at effort getting it all to the tip and was too tired to push it up the ramp alone so much to the consternation of the staff I left it just inside the tip gate. The tip staff were indignant about having to remove it from there but I had already pushed it quite far enough. The tip staff just couldn't care less.

Fortunately until a couple of weeks ago I don't think that there have been any major problems. I haven't needed to move very much since then because there are at least two guardian angels looking after the litter on this stretch - a dog walker from Rose Hill who carries a bag and clears bits and pieces and an elderly gentleman from who can be seen walking down Wood Lane most mornings with a long stick to pull across any items, a litter picking device and a rubbish bag. Who knows, there may well be more regular litter pickers so my thanks to all who do this work. If you do walk this stretch to the station every day please remember that it is generally tidy because of the actions of these volunteers so I offer my thanks to them.

CllrKennyBlair

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 11:47:48 AM »
Hi Mark,

I agree. I also reported it on Monday and it should have been removed. I have spoken with Council Officers this morning and they have advised it will be removed today. I will be walking my dog there later, so will double check to ensure it is removed.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Help! Dangerous broken glass on Middlewood Way not cleaned up
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 09:25:49 AM »
I reported some dangerous broken glass on the Middlewood Way on Monday afternoon, along with an abandoned settee and a load of other litter.

The broken glass is from a dumped mirror. It is under the Throstle Grove Bridge and the SMBC case reference is 102270220.

I checked this morning and it is still there.

I don't think it is acceptable to take this long to clear broken glass, which is dangerous to the public, particulary small children, pets and cyclists.

Can @CllrKennyBlair or @CllrGeoffAbell please rattle some cages at the council to get this actioned urgently please?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website