Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Author Topic: Fitness Equipment in Marple Memorial Park  (Read 4524 times)

Duke Fame

Re: Fitness Equipment in Marple Memorial Park
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 10:17:06 AM »
Out of interest, what would be the protocol if a lone runner were doing his / her routine and the fitness group were using the equipment? Again, this is less likely to be an issue with equipment spaced apart.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 09:36:17 AM »
Just a thought, but what would the response be if personal trainers wanted to use it for group fitness - I have seen resistance to that on the board before, but it would be a good way of attracting people to the park, promoting use of the equipment and maybe increasing safety at night, and if it wasn't too arduous a 'permit' system could apply to fee charging instructors with any profits going to the friends of the park?

Fee charging group fitness instructors are most welcome to use the park but they should register to do this through the council and get their sessions approved. The council do checks to make sure that  they are properly insured etc and that they understand that they must not misuse the park, mostly common sense. Currently there is a £20 fee per session but is to be reviewed for 2016/17.

We had some problems with this last year in Memorial Park. One group kept driving a vehicle into the park along the paths and onto the grass to drop off and pick up their equipment. Another used large ropes around a tree in such a way that it would have damaged the tree - they did stop when asked by one of our volunteers and used a lampost instead. Aside from issues like this, which shouldn't happen if they are properly registered through the council, then Friends of the Park are very happy to have groups like this use the park as often as possible, especially in the light evenings when it would make the park feel safer.     
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

alison

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 09:06:34 AM »
There is this type of equipment set up in a park in Shaw Heath and one in Reddish - I've never seen anyone using it, but maybe I am passing at the wrong time - somewhere like Marple might be a better fit for it with all the runners.

Just a thought, but what would the response be if personal trainers wanted to use it for group fitness - I have seen resistance to that on the board before, but it would be a good way of attracting people to the park, promoting use of the equipment and maybe increasing safety at night, and if it wasn't too arduous a 'permit' system could apply to fee charging instructors with any profits going to the friends of the park?

corium

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 01:14:36 PM »
There is a gym like arrangement in the park at Seaton in Devon. When I've been there there was slow but steady usage possibly linked to the tennis courts next to it.

Duke Fame

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 11:14:05 AM »
wood rots .it does rain a lot in England .more than Australia and USA .

That is true, I used to live in Leeds and ran around hyde park there, they had some basic parallel bars, hanging bars and pull up bars, again, more rustic looking that these.

Similarly, I worked in Basingstoke and Eastrop park there has the rustic style stuff.

They all tended to have the equipment on running routes, i.e. the idea is to run 400 metres, do an excercise and then run on to the next one (same sset up in Rushcutters bay, Sydney, Central Park NY). When I used to run along the canal to Memorial park, I'd use a park bench to do an excercise, run to the next, run to the kid's play area and do monkey arms etc - my opinion is, yes, they would be great but I'd prefer something very basic and space them apart.

I have seen this equipment in Lisbon and it was grouped together like a gym. It looked like it was seldom used.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 07:34:22 AM »
Are there any examples of this sort of equipment being installed, and more importantly, used, elsewhere in the UK?

I ask as it seems counter-intuitive that this would be a success in the UK given our climate, but if it has proven to be successful, then happy days.

Yes, this type of equipment is used all over the UK and it is very popular. The nearest ones locally are at Tangshutts Park and Romiley Park.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

marpleexile

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 10:02:13 PM »
Are there any examples of this sort of equipment being installed, and more importantly, used, elsewhere in the UK?

I ask as it seems counter-intuitive that this would be a success in the UK given our climate, but if it has proven to be successful, then happy days.

amazon

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 09:33:33 PM »
You already have a swingalong and leg raise on the childrens' climbing frame. In Australia and USA, in the parks they have jogging tracks with far more rustic exercise equipment but made of wood which is more in keeping with parkland than the metal equipment.
wood rots .it does rain a lot in England .more than Australia and USA .

Duke Fame

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 09:29:30 PM »
You already have a swingalong and leg raise on the childrens' climbing frame. In Australia and USA, in the parks they have jogging tracks with far more rustic exercise equipment but made of wood which is more in keeping with parkland than the metal equipment. 

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 07:03:32 PM »
I know this is a bit late in the day but would there be any guidance in the use of these appliances? Elf'n Safety being what it is.

As I'm rather ancient now and a serial skiver from PE lessons at school way back when, I have absolutely no knowledge of what these instruments of torture are supposed to do. Could we, perhaps, use them as punishment for the dog owners who don't clean up after their dogs?

;)

If we are successful this new equipment would come with QR codes that you can scan on your mobile phone for instructions on how to use them. As I understand it these include a video like this example:

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 05:27:35 PM »
Friends of the Park have an opportunity to make a grant application for the installation of adult fitness equipment in the park. We do not know if this will be successful obviously, but we have established that our initial proposals are eligible and we've been invited to provide more information. If this extra info is acceptable we would be able to make a full application in the New Year.

This is something that a quite a few people have mentioned to us in the past and I hope that there would be good support for it. We are looking at some or all of the following pieces of equipment, depending on how successful we are. We have chosen all static equipment to minimise ongoing maintenance costs.

Your thoughs woould be appreciated please.

Triple Pull-Ups

Sit Up Bench

Step Box Multi-Gym

Swingalong

Parallel Bars

I know this is a bit late in the day but would there be any guidance in the use of these appliances? Elf'n Safety being what it is.

As I'm rather ancient now and a serial skiver from PE lessons at school way back when, I have absolutely no knowledge of what these instruments of torture are supposed to do. Could we, perhaps, use them as punishment for the dog owners who don't clean up after their dogs?

;)

stockport road

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 11:56:14 PM »
Great idea - if only we had the climate and mentality to use them correctly !

The best ones are those that use your body weight as a counter active weight

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Fitness Equipment in Marple Memorial Park
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 07:35:45 AM »
Friends of the Park have an opportunity to make a grant application for the installation of adult fitness equipment in the park. We do not know if this will be successful obviously, but we have established that our initial proposals are eligible and we've been invited to provide more information. If this extra info is acceptable we would be able to make a full application in the New Year.

This is something that a quite a few people have mentioned to us in the past and I hope that there would be good support for it. We are looking at some or all of the following pieces of equipment, depending on how successful we are. We have chosen all static equipment to minimise ongoing maintenance costs.

Your thoughs woould be appreciated please.

Triple Pull-Ups

Sit Up Bench

Step Box Multi-Gym

Swingalong

Parallel Bars

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website