Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Who are the Candidates for Local Councillor in May 2016?  (Read 42562 times)

CllrGeoffAbell

Re: Who are the Candidates for Local Councillor in May 2016?
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2016, 02:22:57 PM »
I was tired - there's an election on! - sadly any drinks come after Thurs.

In response to posts - It's not who the prospective councillor is, it's what they DO that should count.  Or even, dare I say it, promise to do.

Hoffnung

« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2016, 11:16:39 AM »
Well in Marple North it hasn't been a very interesting campaign.

In fact if it hadn't been for Kevin Dowling's much talked about posters and of course Kevin himself we would hardly have known that there was an election on.

Hoffnung

« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2016, 10:51:51 AM »
Kevin knows very well how few people we can call on.  In fact Kevin used to be one.   He was Mr Posterman, until he let his membership lapse.

We were in a meeting at the Royal Scot last week to help Friends of Brabyns Park get re-established.  Kevin was there.  That sort of good idea.  Help Friends of Mill Brow get some equipment back.  Sort out Marple Bridge parking.  Save the 394.  You did ask!

We have tried to get to most people in the last 9 months.  It's better in the sun like today than the hail of last week!

Geoff, did you write this when you got in from the pub or were you just drinking at home?

simonesaffron

« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2016, 06:03:34 AM »
Kevin knows very well how few people we can call on.  In fact Kevin used to be one.   He was Mr Posterman, until he let his membership lapse.

We were in a meeting at the Royal Scot last week to help Friends of Brabyns Park get re-established.  Kevin was there.  That sort of good idea.  Help Friends of Mill Brow get some equipment back.  Sort out Marple Bridge parking.  Save the 394.  You did ask!

We have tried to get to most people in the last 9 months.  It's better in the sun like today than the hail of last week!

A somewhat perplexing post Geoff and difficult to respond to. Have you been in the Royal Scot again ?

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2016, 11:25:56 PM »
the libdems .... are not so in Marple with a chest full of money and an army of volunteers.

Quote from: Condate
That's one more than I've had. Then again, I've not had anyone at the door from any party at any election, local or general since 1997 and not for a local election since well before that. Of course I am out at work all day, so may well have missed some.

JMC

« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2016, 10:37:44 PM »
Haven't had anyone round either. Quite disappointed. Last person was Shan Alexander.

Never see Tories round my neck of the woods. Not a bad thing.

Condate

« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2016, 09:12:46 PM »
Only 1 candidate come to my door to speak to me

That's one more than I've had. Then again, I've not had anyone at the door from any party at any election, local or general since 1997 and not for a local election since well before that. Of course I am out at work all day, so may well have missed some.

ringi

« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2016, 05:14:20 PM »
Only 1 candidate come to my door to speak to me, I made him work hard justifying his policies etc – my wife thought I was not very nice, as I had already voted for him (postal vote)!

The same candidate has been putting round leaflets for a long time, and not just at election time.

PS Posters on a pappy farm does not get me to vote for the candidate….., so poster may be a waist of time.

Hoffnung

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2016, 12:29:13 PM »
That's the first time Lib Dems have been called Goliath!

Elections are not won by posters.  They are won by candidates with good ideas.  In this case good plans for Marple and getting stuck in to things going on locally.  I know there is also negative campaigning, but there fortunately hasn't too much here in Marple North.

Incidentally Kevin, you know I don't see too well - couldn't you have made your Goliath posters a bit bigger?

I think Kevin's David & Goliath analogy is a fair one. Whilst I would be the first to admit the libdems are a political irrelevance nationally, they are not so in Marple with a chest full of money and an army of volunteers.

It's just as well posters don't win elections Geoff, because if they did we would have an independent councillor in Marple North by Friday. By comparison your poster display is poor.The Goliath libdems have been out postered by one man band Kevin.It makes me consider, if that's the effort your candidate puts into his posters, what effort would he put into the council.

It's interesting Geoff, that you say elections are won by candidates with good ideas, what are these good ideas that your candidate has, in fact where is your candidate?  He's not picking litter up in the park again is he ?

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2016, 10:25:58 PM »
That's the first time Lib Dems have been called Goliath!

Elections are not won by posters.  They are won by candidates with good ideas.  In this case good plans for Marple and getting stuck in to things going on locally.  I know there is also negative campaigning, but there fortunately hasn't too much here in Marple North.

Incidentally Kevin, you know I don't see too well - couldn't you have made your Goliath posters a bit bigger?

ta41700

« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2016, 05:30:39 PM »
If the Lib Dems are the biggest party why is their poster display so poor with little posters you can hardly see! 

Maybe their complacency will lose them this election along with the Conservatives!

Condate

« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2016, 04:55:26 PM »
Marple North, it amounts to just under £1,300 maximum for each candidate. Where does the money come from? If you take the David and Goliath situation that exists in the ward with the libdems being Goliath and me being David. The candidate's money comes from party funds whereas mine comes out of my own pocket. Councillors also make financial contributions, on a percentage basis  to their party's from the councillors allowances they get from the tax payer.

As well as this Goliath has approaching 200 local members whereas David has but a handful of volunteers. So when it comes to all the activities associated with elections; canvassing, putting posters up, writing/delivering leaflets etc, Goliath has a queue of people fighting each other for the task whereas I usually have to do it myself.

So yes the libdems in theory should easily win Marple North. Then again we all know what happened to Goliath.

Well, I'm in Marple South, so I don't have an independent to vote for. I think that regrettably, there are too many people in Marple who agree with Private Willis from Iolanthe.

Then let's rejoice with loud Fal lal—Fal lal la!
That Nature wisely does contrive—Fal lal la!
That every boy and every gal
That's born into the world alive,
Is either a little Liberal,
Or else a little Conservative!
Fal lal la!

Kevin Dowling

« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2016, 01:41:10 PM »
Where does the money actually come from then? Does that mean that the candidate with the most money has the best chance of winning the election?

Not the most money salemoorgirl, but the candidate with the most resources should have the best chance of winning, at least in theory.

All candidates are allowed the same monetary limit. Which is based on an equation against the number of electorate in any given ward. If my memory is good each candidate is allowed a maximum £740 PLUS 6pence for each member of the electorate. In the case of Marple North, it amounts to just under £1,300 maximum for each candidate. Where does the money come from? If you take the David and Goliath situation that exists in the ward with the libdems being Goliath and me being David. The candidate's money comes from party funds whereas mine comes out of my own pocket. Councillors also make financial contributions, on a percentage basis  to their party's from the councillors allowances they get from the tax payer.

As well as this Goliath has approaching 200 local members whereas David has but a handful of volunteers. So when it comes to all the activities associated with elections; canvassing, putting posters up, writing/delivering leaflets etc, Goliath has a queue of people fighting each other for the task whereas I usually have to do it myself.

So yes the libdems in theory should easily win Marple North. Then again we all know what happened to Goliath.

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2016, 12:07:24 PM »
Good questions.  And I hope the answer to the second is No.

Money comes from supporters and members of the parties.  Traditionally, Labour also got money from Trades Union sources and the Conservatives from business, but that's probably less so in local elections.  Fundraising.

But for all UK elections there is a maximum you may spend (for local elections basically during April and May till the election) and this must be published.  How much per ward depends on how many voters you have in that ward, and it equates to a little over £1000 per ward I think.  (I am neither candidate nor agent this time so I don't know exactly.)   But we certainly aren't talking the vast amounts spent during the US presidential elections!

ta41700

« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2016, 10:54:11 AM »
Where does the money actually come from then? Does that mean that the candidate with the most money has the best chance of winning the election?