Brabyns Preparatory School -Nurture. Engage. Achieve.

Linked Events

• Tribute to Jack Turnbull: November 27, 2015

Author Topic: RIP Jack Turnbull 9 November 2015  (Read 4021 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: RIP Jack Turnbull 9 November 2015
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 04:30:16 PM »
Since the announcement of Jack's passing a number of people have asked about funeral arrangements.

I can now advise that there is to be no funeral, Jack will be cremated without ceremony. His family has advised that this was Jack's personal wish. However, I am pleased to advise that Marple Cricket and Squash Club are organising a Tribute Night to Jack on Friday 27 November from 7pm at the club.

In addition to the things I've already posted, Jack was a fond member of Marple Cricket & Squash Club, playing on the darts & crib teams and organising many quiz nights during the winter months for a number of years. So as a tribute to all his hard work, Marple Cricket & Squash Club has decided to hold a tribute evening in Jack's name.

Everyone who knew Jack is welcome and if you'd like to come along and raise a toast the club will be open from 7pm.

I understand that there will be food put on by the club too.

Jack loved his bands, and the Brass Bands of Marple will of course be present, playing a collection of tunes.

Well done to Marple Cricket Club and Jack's friends who have organised this event. Should you choose to make a donation in Jack's memory, this could be made to Marple Bands or to The Christie, where he spent a great deal of time in his final months.

For those of you who use Face Book, there is an event set up here: https://www.facebook.com/events/858782840907969/
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

the rover

Re: RIP Jack Turnbull 9 November 2015
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 03:49:54 PM »
R.I.P. Jack, many condolences to his family.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
RIP Jack Turnbull 9 November 2015
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 06:55:07 AM »
I'm very sad to advise that Jack Turnbull passed away in Stepping Hill Hospital yesterday.

Those of you who knew Jack, and there can't be many in Marple who didn't, will know that he'd been ill for some time and he was aware that it was terminal. Despite this he continued fund-raising for Marple Bands and the Royal British Legion right until the end, having even organised the roster for the Poppy Collection in Asda this last week.

Along with his great friend David Brindley, Jack was very supportive of The Marple Website. They shared a daft sense of humour and were great fun to be with and this shines through in the wonderful tale of "There's Froghall up the Caldon", which was first published on this web site way back in 1999. (Follow this link to find it http://www.marple-uk.com/Marple2.htm )

Jack was Marple born and bred and worked tirelessly to raise money for Marple Bands for many years. He was also the author of many great local books, including the classic reference manual for Marple Pubs, "Last Orders Please". His other works include "The Local Times", covering 250 years of local newspaper items about Marple, Compstall, Strines, Mellor and High Lane, "A Village at War", the story of our village and its people during World War II, "High Lane Anecdotes" and "Verse and Worse", a short collection of humorous(?) poems.

Jack also called on his real life experience with the Royal Military Police to write "Pegasus Patrol" the true story of the Military Policemen who served with 1st Airborne Division throughout WW2 and the disaster of Arnhem, and "The Ulster Watchdogs Pt 2", recalling his own experience of five years with the Royal Military Police in Northern Ireland.

Jack will be remembered by his many friends as a marvelous Marple character, full of great humour even when talking about his own impending demise. As a tireless fund-raiser for Marple Bands and an expert on Marple's pubs following many years of studying them from the bar, purely for research purposes of course!

Rest in Peace Jack Turnbull!

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website