RC Cars, RC Helicopters, RC Planes | Nitrotek Ltd

Author Topic: Child Friendly Cycle Routes  (Read 3299 times)

rsh

Re: Child Friendly Cycle Routes
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 12:21:22 PM »
Also, the towpath near Disley may be closed at the moment with barriers. I came unstuck a couple of weeks ago and had to go back to Strines Road to get back to Marple.
This one was passable again last week, although maybe they'll still have to close the towpath at times during works. In any case it is also possible to get around it from the lift bridge to the swing bridge by crossing over and following Hagg Bank Lane up and over.

Advisable lately to check the CRT closure notices too: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/results/page/1?waterways%5B%5D=64&region=-1&datefrom=&dateto=&Search=Search

From the canal to Sett Valley, it's a more hilly circuitous route, but maybe better to avoid traffic, to take a left off the canal after Swizzels, cross straight over Albion Road and then follow Wirksmoor Rd to the Rock Tavern. Then go down through the Torrs to the start of the trail.

From Hayfield you can also follow Valley Rd or Kinder Rd to the reservoir to add a bit of distance. The Sett Valley itself can be frustrating with several pointless gates though.

From the Whaley end of the canal, it's also possible to quite easily (if you like a hill) reach the Goyt Valley reservoirs by following the old inclines, including the recently restored Shallcross incline, to Elnor Ln/Taxal View where you can then just pretty much cross over Long Hill and drop down to Fernilee.

Further afield I really enjoy the High Peak Trail branching off from Parsley Hay, feels far more interesting and undiscovered than Tissington.

Lily

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 07:32:44 PM »
Ah, EmmyJane, I realise you probably mean that the Peak Forest canal can take you to New Mills (rather than Hayfield) - but it isn't very obvious how you get on the SVT, at the New Mills end, so hope my directions help.

Lily

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 07:25:59 PM »
You're going to confuse a few people EmmyJane - you can't get to Hayfield on the Peak Forest canal.

To get to Hayfield you would need to go along the towpath to New Mills and get off opposite New Mills Marina - just after the Swizzels factory. Pedal down to the main road and turn right. Go straight through the lights at the bottom of New Mills and take the next left, opposite the co-op, along Hyde Bank Road. Go along here, past the entrance to New Mills swimming pool and take the next right up a steep hill (Church Lane). Part way up the hill on the left is the entrance to the Sett Valley Trail.
I think you can go along the perimeter of the swimming pool/health centre car park which would bring you out more or less opposite the entrance on Church lane.
Just follow the trail to Hayfield carpark.

As you say, EmmyJane, Rosie's is a nice little cafe (near the bottom of Kinder Road).
There is another small cafe in Birch Vale. It is just below you on left as you cross Station Road.

Sections of the towpath between Marple and New Mills aren't good for road bikes unless there has been a dry spell.

Also, the towpath near Disley may be closed at the moment with barriers. I came unstuck a couple of weeks ago and had to go back to Strines Road to get back to Marple.

The surface of the towpath to Whaley Bridge or Buxworth (where the two arms of the Peak Forest canal terminate) is much better. You have to be careful under the bridges though.
The canal splits at Bridgemont.
To get to Whaley (right arm of the canal) you can either take a steep path down and under the canal (I think you get back on by/near Tesco) or you can go over a narrow footbridge. Bikes need to carried up and down steep steps over the bridge.
There are at least two nice cafes in Whaley.
To get to Buxworth just follow the towpath to the left.

EmmyJane Designs

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 04:56:26 PM »
There is also the Sett Valley trail from New Mills to Hayfield.

If you are feeling particularly fit and weather is decent, the Peak forest canal can take you there.
Nice cafe in Hayfield called Rosies.

nbt

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 08:46:48 AM »
One option for the Monsal trail is not to do it post lunch - get to Topley Pike early, ride out to Hassop station (or even into Bakewell) for lunch, then ride back afterwards.

There's a purpose built MTB trail at Philip's park near the velodrome - might be fun for kids who are just learning, but you will need to be on your game to keep up with them ;). There's also a purpose built trail at Philips Park in Bury.

there's a nice off road link from the Hydro station at Chadkirk through to Bredbury Hall, as used by the Halls Route, with a little road work you can go under the M60 and get on the trans-pennine trail

NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

Lily

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 09:05:17 PM »
Another route you could try, which will be a bit ambitious for an afternoon ride at this time of the year, is 'The Halls Route'.
It's a circular ride of approx 20 miles and can be started at any point. The nearest point to Marple is Otterspool.
Here is a link to it where you can find details of the route
http://www.cyclestockport.org.uk/Routes.htm
Lily

Lily

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 08:52:38 PM »
What about the new(ish) foot/cycle/bridle path that runs down the back of Marple Hall to Chadkirk Chapel.

Then pass the Chapel and go up the steep road.  Your youngsters will probably have to push their bikes up the hill, then at the top of the hill carry your bikes up the steps and onto the canal. Turn right on the canal and follow the towpath back to Marple (which, from the sound of it, you will know anyway).  If the Chapel is open you can always pop in for a drink & biscuit.

A short ride and probably mucky on the canal but after all this rain the Longdendale Trail will be mucky too. But if you're used to riding along the Middlewood way then you'll be used to muck!

Lily

Rudolph Hucker

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 08:39:46 PM »
Great shout hollins, I'd completely forgotten Longendale - it's been years since I've been. That's tomorrow sorted; any others for future trips anyone?

RH

hollins

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 06:22:20 PM »
Longendale trail (either side of the reservoirs)

Rudolph Hucker

Child Friendly Cycle Routes
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 06:16:38 PM »
OK, so we've done the Middlewood Way and Canal towpaths to death.

The Monsal Trail and Delamere forest options are fine routes but a little distant for a post Sunday lunch ride at this time of year. So where am I missing?

2 kids, both competent but cycle at different speeds so off road (or very, very quiet roads) please. Ideally circular but recognise I may already be getting too picky.

Recommendations please....

Many thanks,

RH.