Marple Glass and Glazing

Author Topic: Live Music outside 'til Midnight!  (Read 13990 times)

skala

Re: Live Music outside 'til Midnight!
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2015, 12:37:36 PM »
I like visiting pubs. One thing which really puts me off a pub is intrusive music. A pub is for eating, drinking and holding conversations. Music, even music I like, gets in the way. However, I understand that sometimes, musical events will be held in pubs. I cannot understand however how pubs, or anywhere else for that matter, can be allowed to play music audible outside late at night, and I'd consider anything after 22:00 as being late at night.  Fortunately, I don't live near enough to a pub to be disturbed.

Pubs can now play music until 11pm without an additional licence or permission, all part of the Tories deregulation and drive to remove red tape! This Government does not like regulation, after all cutting red tape worked so well with the banks and financial institutions didn't it!!!

alstan

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2015, 05:31:03 PM »
" A pub is for eating, drinking and holding conversations"

and for darts, crib, bowling, quiz nights, live music, karaoke, juke box, open mike nights, bar billiards, shove ha'penny, pool, dominoes, table skittles, table football, cards,  etc etc. You may be very important, even, perhaps, from Northwich, but not all pubs were built just for you

Condate

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2015, 10:29:43 PM »
I like visiting pubs. One thing which really puts me off a pub is intrusive music. A pub is for eating, drinking and holding conversations. Music, even music I like, gets in the way. However, I understand that sometimes, musical events will be held in pubs. I cannot understand however how pubs, or anywhere else for that matter, can be allowed to play music audible outside late at night, and I'd consider anything after 22:00 as being late at night.  Fortunately, I don't live near enough to a pub to be disturbed.

Tillyed1

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2015, 08:31:28 PM »
Amazon, don't you mean what if the house occupant was there before the pub ?

amazon

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 08:25:09 PM »
Am new to this site but I am quite surprised at some of the comments on the forum about the Windsor and the Marple Tavern. Being a regular customer in both pubs I am shocked at some of the allegations of noise and disturbances, the posters make it sound like the wild west!! I wonder if they have ever taken the trouble to go in and discuss their concerns with the licensee?

In my experience both pubs are well run community establishments that keep the noise to a minimum. But in the end they are pubs and there will some associated noise. If you choose to buy a house near a pub you must expect some level of noise. If some of the posters on here bought a house next to a motorway they would complain about the traffic noise!!!
BUT IF THE HOUSE WAS THERE BEFORE THE PUB .

skala

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 01:06:09 PM »
Am new to this site but I am quite surprised at some of the comments on the forum about the Windsor and the Marple Tavern. Being a regular customer in both pubs I am shocked at some of the allegations of noise and disturbances, the posters make it sound like the wild west!! I wonder if they have ever taken the trouble to go in and discuss their concerns with the licensee?

In my experience both pubs are well run community establishments that keep the noise to a minimum. But in the end they are pubs and there will some associated noise. If you choose to buy a house near a pub you must expect some level of noise. If some of the posters on here bought a house next to a motorway they would complain about the traffic noise!!!

JJJA19

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 12:41:30 PM »
I went to the Windsor...great night good beer good music, great to see a local "business"making an effort ...thanks

Angelblue

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 08:16:54 PM »
I live very close and it wasn't that loud and like I said it was just one weekend and only till midnight.
so stop complaining!

amazon

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 12:35:39 PM »
Amazon- I have known Joe for a while now and she goes out of her way to make sure that all her Neighbours
are informed of any upcoming events. That weekend was well advertised weeks before so if you thought
you may have a problem with it, why not pop into the Pub and speak to Joe about it? I could not go to that
event as I was babysitting but I did sit outside in my garden listening to the Music and thought it sounded amazing!

Joe is very considerate of her Neighbours and it is not her intention to upset anyone. However I find it
hard to understand what your problem is? It only went on till midnight which for a weekend is not late.
If it was every weekend till the early hours then I could understand but it was just one weekend.
I have just been reading another thread on here with people complaining about the Market Tavern
and another thread with someone complaining about Music on in the afternoon!!. Pubs have a business

to run and these days with Pubs shutting its an uphill struggle. Joe works very hard to keep the customers happy.
If you do not like noise, then don't live near a Pub!

In these depressing times it was a bit of fun for the Community and a little bit of Sunshine before the long
cold dark days and nights of Winter arrive. So well done! Joe

So "Amazon" I suggest you either go out and buy yourself some earplugs or go and live in a field! You are a long time
dead so stop complaining, go into the Pub and enjoy yourself and support Joe. :D

SO how far away do you live from the windsor .

Angelblue

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 11:31:35 AM »
Amazon- I have known Joe for a while now and she goes out of her way to make sure that all her Neighbours
are informed of any upcoming events. That weekend was well advertised weeks before so if you thought
you may have a problem with it, why not pop into the Pub and speak to Joe about it? I could not go to that
event as I was babysitting but I did sit outside in my garden listening to the Music and thought it sounded amazing!

Joe is very considerate of her Neighbours and it is not her intention to upset anyone. However I find it
hard to understand what your problem is? It only went on till midnight which for a weekend is not late.
If it was every weekend till the early hours then I could understand but it was just one weekend.
I have just been reading another thread on here with people complaining about the Market Tavern
and another thread with someone complaining about Music on in the afternoon!!. Pubs have a business
to run and these days with Pubs shutting its an uphill struggle. Joe works very hard to keep the customers happy.
If you do not like noise, then don't live near a Pub!

In these depressing times it was a bit of fun for the Community and a little bit of Sunshine before the long
cold dark days and nights of Winter arrive. So well done! Joe

So "Amazon" I suggest you either go out and buy yourself some earplugs or go and live in a field! You are a long time
dead so stop complaining, go into the Pub and enjoy yourself and support Joe. :D

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 07:53:43 AM »
I received a phone call from Joe at the Windsor Castle a few days ago and we had a nice chat. Joe is upset to have received criticism on here and unfortunately is unable to access the web site and sign up to the forum to make her own response to the comments. So I agreed that she could send me a hand-written letter and I would post it on her behalf. It arrived in the post yesterday and here it is in full:

Re: The Beer Festival 2nd to 4th October

Firstly I would like to thank everybody who supported our Beer Festival last weekend. It was superb. It was nice to see the community joining together, various ages dancing together and enjoying, what has to be said, a truly fantastic night / weekend.

I would like to thank my neighbours of Lower Fold and Glossop Road, Compstall Road and my friends in Compstall for their kind words of support. I am so glad that you came and sampled fine beer. To the kind person that sent me the most beautiful bouquet of flowers anonymously, they sit on my fireplace in pride of place, thank you.

I would like to send my sincere apologies to anybody who may have been offended or upset by our beer festival. I am sorry if we disturbed you in any way. Please accept my apologies.

The Windsor Castle is a small beer house that doesn't do food. We simply survive on great beer sales. I would like to point out that we serve our community well by doing various things: ie. a coffee morning where everyone is welcome on the last Friday of each month.

We have raised a lot of money in the seven years I have been here for charity - and we did collect for Wish Upon a Star last weekend.

Please don't punish me for working hard to keep my pub open.

We wrote to all our neighbours in advance and applied by the book for our licenses and we stopped our music at midnight. We did take other people into consideration.

So please, if you have a problem, please don't hesitate to give me a call. I would only be too happy to invite you into the Windsor to discuss this matter.

Best regards,

Joanne Farrell x

Mrs Joanne Farrell,
The Widsor Castle
1 Glossop Road,
Marple Bridge,
Stockport,
Cheshire,
SK6 5EJ
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

u360213

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 08:40:41 PM »
Just to let everybody know that I am a regular in the Windsor castle it's a great community pub where Joe welcomes everybody, Joe is trying in extremely hard times to keep her pub going. I know that Joe wrote to all her neighbours a month before the event so everybody was prewarned the event was well advertised and on the nights well marshalled, the correct licences were obtained and the music stopped at midnight out of respect for her neighbours.
A pleasurable weekend was had by everyone I met. If you have a problem about it I have always found Joe very approachable and I'm sure she'd be happy to have a chat about it.

Dave

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 10:06:07 AM »
We live near a pub that very occasionally has events with live music late at night, and the people who run the pub are also very thoughtful, warning neighbours and apologising in advance for any disturbance.  I think that makes a huge difference, and personally we are happy to put up with it as long as it doesn't happen too often.

Perhaps Amazon never received the polite warning, though?

BennyBlue

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 07:59:29 AM »
I just wanted to say that Jo had knocked on doors and put letters through to let people know the beer festival was on and there would be live music. She spoke to us about it in particular as she knows we have a toddler.

I have no problem with Jo or the Windsor putting this event on - it is not like it is a frequent occurrence (I think it may be the first time since we moved here).

simonesaffron

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 04:23:00 PM »
Which is of course a contradiction.

Very much so, but often their powers are contradictory too.