RC Cars, RC Helicopters, RC Planes | Nitrotek Ltd

Author Topic: Garden House, Lakes Road  (Read 14742 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Garden House, Lakes Road
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2017, 06:46:00 PM »
Here's a piece about the Garden House from That's Manchester TV Channel:

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 12:50:18 PM »
You can listen to interviews about the Garden House on BBC Manchester Radio this morning:

Note this is just sound, no picture!

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 08:10:56 PM »
Apparently Stockport Council has served a notice on the Garden House to close after refusing retrospective planning permission.

There's an article in the MEN here: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/local-news/community-farm-attraction-set-close-13253477

And a petition has been set up too: https://www.change.org/p/planning-department-stockport-council-save-the-garden-farm-in-marple?

I haven't seen any details of the case for or against but it's a shame if something can't be worked out.

It does seem hugely popular with the community, especially those with small children. It would also be a great shame to loose that walk along the river to the Midland.

There's a FB page here: https://www.facebook.com/samuelgardenhouse/

And they are also on Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheGardenHouseM
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 04:12:03 PM »
We missed the open day last weekend, but yesterday, walking the dog along Lakes Road, as you do, and feeling nosy, I went down the drive to the Garden House to have a look, and I'm pleased to report that the path from there to Marple Bridge along the river bank is now open!

It's a lovely path, winding through the trees by the river, until it emerges in the car park of the Midland.  If you want to do it in the opposite direction, just walk into the small car park behind the Midland (it's the upper level, on the right, not the lower one on the left), and you'll find the start of the path at the back between the trees.   

I don't think it's a right of way - it's referred to as a 'permissive path' - and I suspect you are not supposed to take a bike on it.
Thanks for that dave will give it a go ,

Dave

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 11:01:19 AM »
We missed the open day last weekend, but yesterday, walking the dog along Lakes Road, as you do, and feeling nosy, I went down the drive to the Garden House to have a look, and I'm pleased to report that the path from there to Marple Bridge along the river bank is now open!

It's a lovely path, winding through the trees by the river, until it emerges in the car park of the Midland.  If you want to do it in the opposite direction, just walk into the small car park behind the Midland (it's the upper level, on the right, not the lower one on the left), and you'll find the start of the path at the back between the trees.   

I don't think it's a right of way - it's referred to as a 'permissive path' - and I suspect you are not supposed to take a bike on it.

nbt

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 08:52:39 AM »
We went to visit Kevin at the Garden House recently, we were out for a walk and saw notices advertising an "open day". I later realised it was the same day as the open day at Mellor Mill. We had a lovely and interesting chat with Kevin who seems to be doing some good work down there, then  - with his permission - walked through to the Midland. Looks lovely and I wish him all the best
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

rsh

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 09:19:08 PM »
Would be very exciting to have a new path link in such a useful and interesting spot, must be a real lost world along there. The plan says "link between existing footpath and cycle ways" so presumably cycling will be allowed too, great link across to Brabyns and other routes. Meanwhile the large car park might mean more visitors to Roman Lakes without them having to negotiate the eternal potholes. Hope it all goes ahead.

Howard

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 11:54:59 AM »
So far (24th Sept) there is only one response which is against the application. I have to say, it looks great to me.

MLHS

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 10:49:33 AM »
The historic maps of the area, including Garden Cottage and the rest of Cheshire, can be viewed at this valuable resource http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 09:06:47 AM »
Reading the details I noticed that they are going to make a permissive footpath along the Goyt from the back of the Midland to the Garden House site. I've done that walk in the past (although I shouldn't) and that is going to be a brilliant addition. It's a very pleasant walk along there and fascinating to see the remains of paths and walls from 100s of years ago. It must have been quite a major route in Oldknow's time.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 05:27:49 PM »
Thanks for the planning documents, Mark - they make it plain that I was barking up the wrong tree!  I was thinking of Mellor Lodge, which is just the other side of Bottoms Bridge.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 04:03:38 PM »
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 01:32:49 PM »
Yes it does.  See http://www.mellorarchaeology.org.uk/

I can't see anything on the Trust site about the Garden House @Dave . I'm not saying you're wrong but I'm not convinced you're right either! If I search the site for Garden House none of the articles found mention the plans described by @rosehill5 .

However, if I "Google" for Samuel Oldknow Christian Association I come up with a Ltd company with a director Kevin Swindells, who is mentioned in a blog article on the Trust site.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 01:14:41 PM »

rosehill5

Garden House, Lakes Road
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 11:44:56 AM »
Walked down Lakes Road and at the site of the Garden House there is a notice board showing plans to rebuild and develop this site by the Samuel Oldknow Christian Association.  Seem very ambitious - community lecture theatre, Rangers accommodation, rope bridge over river, fishing platform, hide, livestock area, yurt etc.   Does this have any connection with the Mellor Archaeological Trust and the mill excavations?