To advertise on this site

Author Topic: Foraging around Marple  (Read 9342 times)

Keiron

Re: Foraging around Marple
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 09:42:58 AM »
@Keiron , if you have a surplus of apples it may be worth looking at the Moss Cider Project for this year: http://themossciderproject.org/
I saw the Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall program a couple of years ago that mentioned them but Moss Side seems like a big distance to collect apples. I've given a load to the Womens Guild in past years and a friend took another years crop for cider but sadly they mostly end up in the green bin.

If there was someone more locally that was interested. I bet I'm not the only one with spare fruit?

I also have a greengage plum tree which gave me probably 40kg. I managed to harvest the fruit and chill most of it in  a spare fridge. Very little spoiled, I gave away plenty but I was eating daily them for nearly 2 months.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 09:25:15 AM »
It's not exactly foraging but I have a big, old, apple tree in my garden. I get maybe 100kg+ of apples that end up spoiled, (there's only so much I can use!). If you or anyone else could use them, I'd be happy to see them being used.

@Keiron , if you have a surplus of apples it may be worth looking at the Moss Cider Project for this year: http://themossciderproject.org/
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Keiron

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 09:05:33 AM »
I forgot to mention the three or four cherry trees at the junction of Stockport rd & Station rd. I've seen people picking the fruit. I've tried them myself but they seemed pretty sour to me. Maybe, given enough sugar they might become edible.

Keiron

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 08:44:59 AM »
I collect a shopping bag full of elderflowers from Brabyns park every year to make cordial & sometimes champagne.

The woodlands around the site of Marple Hall ruins near Marina Drive & Marple Hall Drive are good for wild garlic - just follow your nose!

Behind the substation on Union road has loads of what I think are wild musk roses that yield masses of rose hips. I think these can be used to make tea & jam with.

The footpath from Manor rd known as 'Seven Stiles' used to have loads small of beech trees which of course give beech nuts. Think these need some form of soaking or cooking to make them safe to eat.

It's not exactly foraging but I have a big, old, apple tree in my garden. I get maybe 100kg+ of apples that end up spoiled, (there's only so much I can use!). If you or anyone else could use them, I'd be happy to see them being used.

Genie

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 07:42:29 PM »
Ooo, I will have to try some in vegetable soup. The flowers and buds are still good in a salad.

I found some wood sorrel today, I am excited to try it with some fish, apparently it is lemony.

I always get help with identification with anything new that I find. There's a few helpful groups on Facebook.

FREE FOOD FORUM - Wild Food and Mushroom Foraging and Medicinal Plants

The Mushroom Identification Group.

These have been very helpful to me.

Bowden Guy

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 10:31:49 PM »
Apparently, there are only 8 Lib Dem MPs in the whole of the UK. Tell us if you see one.

corium

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 10:18:37 PM »
Yes mushrooms are one & I know that in New Mills some Poles nearly came a cropper a few years ago. But some of the more obscure berries & sprouting green things as well though I regularly pick wild garlic.

Dave

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 01:56:09 PM »
Yes, you can't go wrong with wild garlic - it's great for flavouring vegetable soup, although the season is coming to an end now.  Best place for it I know is up the track from Bottoms Hall towards Linnet Clough - it's actually known as Garlic Wood!

I think corium is probably thinking of mushrooms when s/he writes about being in the 'if in doubt don't eat brigade'.   We Brits are not good at wild mushrooms - in  mainland Europe it's normal to go off into the woods foraging for mushrooms, whereas we tend to me more ignorant about the varieties, and consequently rather nervous. 

Genie

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 12:48:11 PM »
You are definitely missing out. Some really tasty things out there just waiting to be picked. I made wild garlic pesto last week and it was better than any I had bought from a shop.
It is very important to know what you are picking and what preparation is needed.
It would be nice to have people to swap recipes with :) 

corium

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 12:45:44 AM »
Hello. I like to go out foraging around Marple. I have enjoyed salad, wild garlic pesto, oyster mushrooms, shaggy mane mushrooms, elderflower cordial and dandelion jelly all from the Marple area.

I am hoping I am not the only one that is interested in these kind of things. It would be nice to know someone else to help me with identification or wherre the best places to forage are.

I think identification is the key here. I'm from the if in doubt don't eat brigade and I'm probably missing out on something as a result

Genie

Foraging around Marple
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 09:44:33 PM »
Hello. I like to go out foraging around Marple. I have enjoyed salad, wild garlic pesto, oyster mushrooms, shaggy mane mushrooms, elderflower cordial and dandelion jelly all from the Marple area.

I am hoping I am not the only one that is interested in these kind of things. It would be nice to know someone else to help me with identification or wherre the best places to forage are.