To advertise on this site

Author Topic: Goyt chippy  (Read 5109 times)

tina

Re: Goyt chippy
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 11:34:07 PM »

They retired.

I’m still missing the old Goyt chippy before it changed hands!  :'(

Sadly, despite having given it's replacement a go every few months just out of sheer hope that it’s improved, my comments on it below still apply. We lost a gem and gained something blah.

Out of interest, does anyone know what actually happened to the old owners? I’m interested to know if they moved away, and maybe (fingers crossed) opened a new chip shop somewhere else including the gravy recipe…

marple syrup

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 09:49:00 AM »
I’m still missing the old Goyt chippy before it changed hands!  :'(

Sadly, despite having given it's replacement a go every few months just out of sheer hope that it’s improved, my comments on it below still apply. We lost a gem and gained something blah.

Out of interest, does anyone know what actually happened to the old owners? I’m interested to know if they moved away, and maybe (fingers crossed) opened a new chip shop somewhere else including the gravy recipe…

Russ

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 06:57:46 PM »
Went in today for fish & chips, first time since new owners. Not a regular, maybe once a month.

Quantity was fine, quality imo not on a par with previous people, I left most of it.

There weren't any other customers, just me!
I passed the Chinese chippy on upper Hibbert lane, customers were queueing out of the door.

Goyt chippy used to have 3 girls serving, they were quick but there was always a queue of customers. Today at teatime  there was just one girl serving with not a lot to do. Somebody else did come in after me, just the one.

I hope things improve for them with experience.

corium

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 02:42:58 PM »
I have to say that in recent years I haven't felt the GC standards have lived up to the hype. However given their opening hours it was rare I got to sample them.

Howard

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 11:59:32 AM »
Town Street Fryer it is then!

marple syrup

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 08:50:19 AM »
Sadly disappointed with the change. We've gone from a very special, tradiational local chippy to a standard kebab shop you get too many of down any old high street.

It's all big bright signs above the counter offering meal deals and such, and it stinks of doner kebab meat now. And the portions are shoddy!! (In comparison to previous, anyway.) It's not just been taken over, it's been re-done and I know it's a silly thing to get het-up about so I won't go as far as saying I'm het-up... but just disappointed.

Marple has lost a gem here and gained something not very special at all.

nbt

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 06:49:58 PM »
I called in recently and noted new folks behind the counter, so thought it might have changed hands. I ordered lightly battered haddock as usual and in truth, it was probably better than before, they were beautiful: really thin and light batter, cooked to perfection. It was already my first choice chippy in the area, if this is the new standard then it will only continue. New opening hours means Saturday tea is new an option too!
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

Russ

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 01:08:27 PM »
Are the Fish & chips still the best in Marple? Not been in since the change.

Tricky

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 05:12:47 PM »
The Goyt chippy is great , but that old (must be 10 years ago at least) gravy recipe was something special alright  :'(
meh

Jay

Goyt chippy
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 01:53:56 PM »
When did the goyt chippy change hands? Went in last night to find it being run by some different people and I'm sad to say the previous owners took their gravy recipe with them :-X chips and gravy will never be the same!