Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Election candidate Interviews  (Read 5051 times)

JMC

Re: Election candidate Interviews
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 09:17:37 AM »
These are very interesting to read, thanks moorendman. I trust you have an interview with Graham Reid forthcoming?

It pains me to say that Wragg has so far been the only one brave enough to actually give a direct opponents name in the "Who would you vote for if not yourself" question. I would have thought Michael would have answered that one too, he’s an honest enough chap and I wouldn’t have guessed he’d be the one curbing the question. Smart just seems like a bit of a populist, like she's trying too hard to say the right things all the time. I can’t imagine it’s possible to have any conversation with her where she doesn't slip in the word 'charity' somewhere along the line. As for Palmer, bless he’s in over his head a bit it sounds like. I’d suggest he sticks to monitoring damaged kerb-stones because his political views not at all surprisingly are hugely nationalistic and frankly unacceptable [in my opinion].

“We don’t want Europe ruling us.”

No – we don’t want UKIP ruling us.

I believe the candidates (except Wragg) attended Marple College for a Q&A session and it seems Palmer/UKIP was very popular with the young people (I have spoken to several students afterwards).

moorendman

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 12:03:43 PM »
Thanks for your comments Syrup.

Unfortunately, I do not have an interview with Graham Reid forthcoming. As you can see from the format of the interviews, each candidate was asked exactly the same questions, in the same order and without any prompting. Furthermore I did not attempt to engage in any form of discussion with them during their responses which may have taken the conversations a different way. I tried to be scrupulously fair and it was very important that none of the candidates saw any of the questions in advance.

With regards to the Green Party candidate, his candidature was announced very late and no effort was made by his party or himself to publicise any method of contacting him. There is a lot of talk about political engagement these days and I think that anyone who is remotely serious about it should at least make a little effort to make themselves available to contact. I was surprised to see him appear at the Romiley st Chads Hustings but it was too late by then.

marple syrup

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 10:32:18 AM »
These are very interesting to read, thanks moorendman. I trust you have an interview with Graham Reid forthcoming?

It pains me to say that Wragg has so far been the only one brave enough to actually give a direct opponents name in the "Who would you vote for if not yourself" question. I would have thought Michael would have answered that one too, he’s an honest enough chap and I wouldn’t have guessed he’d be the one curbing the question. Smart just seems like a bit of a populist, like she's trying too hard to say the right things all the time. I can’t imagine it’s possible to have any conversation with her where she doesn't slip in the word 'charity' somewhere along the line. As for Palmer, bless he’s in over his head a bit it sounds like. I’d suggest he sticks to monitoring damaged kerb-stones because his political views not at all surprisingly are hugely nationalistic and frankly unacceptable [in my opinion].

“We don’t want Europe ruling us.”

No – we don’t want UKIP ruling us.

moorendman

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 09:51:45 AM »
Just published Darran Palmer interview today on my blog

https://mellorview.wordpress.com/

The fact that it is St George's day is coincidence :)

Melancholyflower

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 07:33:24 PM »
Thanks for link mooorendman. I am otherwise engaged tomorrow but would have liked to have gone

Henry_

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 02:25:27 PM »
They're excellent interviews and often get behind the spin and such nonsense, seeing the human sides of the candidates. They also make me feel old  :-[

I think this is the spending they were looking for in their answers. I'm sure some pedant will disagree with the exact numbers.

Total Spending £746.6 billion   
   Pensions £154.7 billion   
   Health Care £135.1 billion   
   Education £92.0 billion   
   Defence £43.2 billion   
   Welfare £111.7 billion

moorendman

Election candidate Interviews
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 10:39:50 AM »
If you are not able to get to a hustings event or have not been canvassed, read these interviews with the main candidates here:

https://mellorview.wordpress.com/

Darran Palmer tomorrow, but the other three are already online.