Janine Kelly - Yoga teacher in Marple

Author Topic: SOS for Marple  (Read 6089 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: SOS for Marple
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 12:06:36 PM »
I'd like to add my thanks to MAD WI for the great support that they have given to Friends of Marple Memorial Park and particularly for the fantastic fund raising that they did for the Skatepark Project at the Christmas Cracker organised by Marple Business Forum. They are both excellent local community groups.

I'm sure this is a storm in a teacup that can be sorted out with a friendly chat.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

simonesaffron

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 07:53:48 AM »
I note that you've done it again Henrietta, you're definitely good at it, of that there is no doubt.

Stationery Supplies

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 06:26:12 PM »
The Marple & District WI and the Business Forum are indeed in touch with each other and are currently in discussions over the running of the Marple Food Festival Pie competition which is hopefully going to extend this year to include other categories.
Since the WI was founded, only 2 years ago, they have supported both the Marple Cracker & the  Carnival raising hundreds of £s for local charities.
They have also held a fair at one of their meetings where local business, including us,  were invited to showcase their wares. A recently held WI craft night was expertly run by Cloudberry & Crafty Ladies.
There was also a very enjoyable demonstration of macaroon making by Rick from All Things Nice at a meeting last year.
So I reckon the WI are very much in support of Marple & local independent business. They are a fabulous addition to the local community and, as was previously said, being run by volunteers I'm sure they will welcome any offers of help with open arms :)
These are my personal views however I am the current chairman of the Business Forum and would welcome chatting with you either in my shop or at a WI meeting should you wish to discuss this further.
Sarah :)

marplite

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 05:13:28 PM »
Just a thought Henrietta, as you yourself have noted you are a member of the WI group. Perhaps you could offer them support on how they could source local ingredients rather than posting negative comments on here. Am pretty sure it will be run by volunteers who are only trying their best - maybe give them a helping hand rather than a push off the cliff hey?!

And its a great idea about them working with the Marple Business Forum.  You can find them here and contact them privately yourself - http://www.marplebusinessforum.co.uk/about-marple-business-forum.html

Just from someone keen to support all in Marple - business, community groups and individuals.

marpleexile

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 04:56:01 PM »
The comment that was made was as follows;
'I've had a quick look at tinned chestnuts (online) and it looks like ASDA come out as the cheapest, so maybe our new addition in Marple will stock them'

That's why I asked, as I suspected it would have been something like that. From my dealings with the WI I doubted that it would have been an actually recommendation.

Nonsense. This was a clear recommendation, which could be construed as an official WI recommendation, to shop for ingredients in ASDA. The ingredient is not "tricky to find". There are at least two independent shops in Marple selling it and which stock it as standard

No, it's really not.

Marple_87

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 03:53:44 PM »
Is it 'ingredient' or 'ingredients'? Fairly sure there was only one item it was regarding. Please could make it clear where the 'clear recommendation to shop for ingredients in ASDA' was on the email as there were no such instructions on the email I received?

Anyway maybe we should make this into a positive. Seeing as you seem to have such a fantastic knowledge of the local produce stock of Marple maybe you should put your name down to join the baking group? That way you can provide us all each month with a list of which 'local' shops we can source our ingredients from and the cost of each item at each shop? Im sure the baking group would be highly appreciative of your help.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 03:46:28 PM »
I bet they're dying to!

For some reason, when somebody mentions the WI then jam, Jerusalem and Calendar Girls come to mind - but you can only get the first of those in ASDA.
Then you clearly know little about the National Federation of Womens' Institutes. The following may enlighten you regarding some of the issues that the Federation is involved in.

http://www.thewi.org.uk/campaigns/resolutions-and-mandates

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 03:41:27 PM »
The offending item in question was tinned chestnuts which are part of a recipe for a special gluten free baking group that is occurring this week. The comment that was made was as follows;
'I've had a quick look at tinned chestnuts (online) and it looks like ASDA come out as the cheapest, so maybe our new addition in Marple will stock them'

As a Marple WI member and worker in a local business I do not feel that this was encouraging people to buy all the ingredients at ASDA, however was simply providing a suggestion for a source for an ingredient that may otherwise prove tricky to find.
Nonsense. This was a clear recommendation, which could be construed as an official WI recommendation, to shop for ingredients in ASDA. The ingredient is not "tricky to find". There are at least two independent shops in Marple selling it and which stock it as standard

hollins

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 03:15:29 PM »
I wonder if Marple Business Forum might like to take up this issue with M&D WI?

I bet they're dying to!

For some reason, when somebody mentions the WI then jam, Jerusalem and Calendar Girls come to mind - but you can only get the first of those in ASDA.

Marple_87

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 02:34:35 PM »
The offending item in question was tinned chestnuts which are part of a recipe for a special gluten free baking group that is occurring this week. The comment that was made was as follows;

As a Marple WI member and worker in a local business I do not feel that this was encouraging people to buy all the ingredients at ASDA, however was simply providing a suggestion for a source for an ingredient that may otherwise prove tricky to find.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 10:44:26 PM »
Henrietta, how was it phrased? I ask because there is a difference between noting that all the ingredients can be found in the local supermarket(*) and encouraging the readership to buy them from said local supermarket.

(*) These days it seems to be the done thing when putting out recipes to note in general terms where the ingredients can be sourced - eg are they all available from the local supermarket/shops or is there something that is more country/region specific that you might need to go to a speciality store for?
There was a recommendation from the baking group leader to buy in ASDA. I know that all the ingredients are available in independents in Marple because I've either bought them recently or seen them on the shelves.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 10:37:43 PM »
Can somebody please post a list of the ingredients.
Paul, I've sent them to you in a PM

marpleexile

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 08:58:22 PM »
I am a member of Marple & District Women's Institute. The National Federation of Women's Institute's purports to stand for, among other issues, support for local shopkeepers (eg in the 2013 campaign "SOS for High Streets & Town Centres").

Marple & District WI has a Baking Group which meets monthly. The leader of the group has just sent out the recipes for the next meeting. She suggests that participants source their ingredients at ASDA, despite everything required being available in independent shops in Marple.

Not exactly in line with the ethos of the WI!

I wonder if Marple Business Forum might like to take up this issue with M&D WI? Please send me a pm if you can't find the contact details on-line

Henrietta, how was it phrased? I ask because there is a difference between noting that all the ingredients can be found in the local supermarket(*) and encouraging the readership to buy them from said local supermarket.

(*) These days it seems to be the done thing when putting out recipes to note in general terms where the ingredients can be sourced - eg are they all available from the local supermarket/shops or is there something that is more country/region specific that you might need to go to a speciality store for?

pauljonespm

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 08:26:48 PM »
Can somebody please post a list of the ingredients.

amazon

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 07:07:20 PM »
I am a member of Marple & District Women's Institute. The National Federation of Women's Institute's purports to stand for, among other issues, support for local shopkeepers (eg in the 2013 campaign "SOS for High Streets & Town Centres").

Marple & District WI has a Baking Group which meets monthly. The leader of the group has just sent out the recipes for the next meeting. She suggests that participants source their ingredients at ASDA, despite everything required being available in independent shops in Marple.

Not exactly in line with the ethos of the WI!

I wonder if Marple Business Forum might like to take up this issue with M&D WI? Please send me a pm if you can't find the contact details on-line
Perhaps it's cheaper at ASDA .