A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Linked Events

• Windlehurst Traffic Meeting: April 21, 2015

Author Topic: Traffic on / around Windlehurst Road [Meeting 21 April]  (Read 3727 times)

simonesaffron

Re: Traffic on / around Windlehurst Road [Meeting 21 April]
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 03:55:31 PM »
I also attended the meeting and some of the points were well made and you and your fellow organisers are to be congratulated on convening a meeting so well attended.

I couldn't hear much of what Andrew Stunell was saying as he was at the front and I wasn't, and I don't really know what Darren Palmer looks like. I did see Councillor KD, he was stood up at the back a few seats away rom me. I overheard a conversation that he had with some attendees after the meeting, I don't think that it was meant to be private, it isn't my place to divulge it's content, but the gist of it was that he ....'came to listen.'  Perhaps you should contact him and ask him why he did come. The point I would take away from his attendance was that he attended.   

I don't really think that outgoing MP's and unsuccessful parliamentary candidates can be much help here. but if we are to achieve anything we really need to work with our local Councillors. I personally think that saying that they are indifferent and that they don't listen  is going to be unhelpful to our cause.

How do you know that they are indifferent and unlistening. Have you had meetings with them that suggest this or have you just fired off a couple of emails and been unhappy with the response?

Matt_HL

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 08:06:21 PM »
Hello, last night was very good - 110 people attended and there were a further 12 people who sent their apologies / pledged their support.

We invited all the major parties - outgoing MP Andrew Stunell and election candidate Darran Palmer attended. Andrew Stunell spoke to the whole meeting, Darran Palmer spoke to people individually at the end. Councillor Kevin Dowling also reportedly attended though I did not meet him personally nor did he speak to the meeting. It is also worth noting the headteacher of Windlehurst School attended and a rep from Protect High Peak who is interested because they face similar issues.

The view was very clear that 1) We have a speeding issue 2) There are big concerns about the flow and nature of traffic the A555 extension will bring to the area 3) Many of us feel our current elected representatives have not listened to us

We agreed a number of initial actions as a group (more details will follow). We will meet again on Tuesday 6th October at 7:30pm to review progress and plan further actions.

Speaking personally, I was very grateful for each and every person who attended. Often it is easy to moan about things and not really step up (I count myself as someone who historically has done this) - last night our community stepped up together in a big way.

Barbara

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 11:18:11 AM »
Never mind being 'on Twitter' - there is an awful lot of 'twittering' on these pages! ;D

Dizzy Penguin

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 10:54:00 AM »
If we include @Matt_HL Matt will get a PM notification that he's been mentioned in a post and hopefully will let us know!

Oh I didn't realise we were Twitter now! Haha, thanks

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 10:51:10 AM »
If we include @Matt_HL Matt will get a PM notification that he's been mentioned in a post and hopefully will let us know!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dizzy Penguin

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 10:36:32 AM »
So how did this go?

Victor M

Re: Traffic on / around Windlehurst Road
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 06:25:36 PM »
More recently there has also been a big increase in HGVs using the road. This is a sign of things to come as the new A555 extension is predicted to bring a 20% increase on the road, equivalent to 1600 more vehicles per day.

This worries me as there is a weight restriction on this road. If HGV's are using it illegally then you need to make a note of the time, direction of travel and Reg No. and report it to the police. They will then visit the driver and prosecute, it is quite easy to organise all you need is a camera and someone located at either end of the weight restriction.

Good Luck

Matt_HL

Traffic on / around Windlehurst Road [Meeting 21 April]
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 05:28:26 PM »
Windlehurst Road is a great place to live, with lots of friendly neighbours and a range of community centres including two parks, a church, a pub, a independently owned local stores, a scout hut and a village hall.

However, there is a growing concern over drivers speeding on the road. A recent police survey found some going as high as 57mph on a 30mph road - if they were to hit someone at such speed, it is highly likely there would be a fatality.

More recently there has also been a big increase in HGVs using the road. This is a sign of things to come as the new A555 extension is predicted to bring a 20% increase on the road, equivalent to 1600 more vehicles per day.

Residents have complained individually to our local councillors and our local MP but the common experience has been one of indifference.

A new group is now being formed to campaign on this issue. The first meeting is Tuesday 21st April at Windlehurst Methodist Church - the meeting will start at 7:30pm and all are welcome to attend...