A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: The Iron Bridge Project Diary  (Read 38524 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: The Iron Bridge Project Diary
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2020, 06:31:59 AM »
More news expected in April 2020

Friends of Brabyns Park's application to the Manchester Airport Fund was considered by the fund's trustees in January and they have asked the group for further information. This was provided at the end of January and the application will be reconsidered in late April 2020. More details here: https://www.marple.website/community-projects/relocation-of-iron-bridge-plaque.html
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2019, 07:27:47 AM »
Friends of Brabyns Park apply to the Manchester Airport Fund

The article on the Marple Website about the Iron Bridge Viewing Platform has been updated with the great news that Friends of Brabyns Park have submitted a grant application to the Manchester Airport Fund towards a project to tackle the refurbishment of the viewing platform.

As well as repairs to the platform and new railings to fill the gap and remount the plaque, the group plan walks and talks to encourage people to to see the bridge and the plaque, and also to learn more about the history and wildlife of the whole of Brabyns Park. They even hope to re-issue the Discovery Trail Leaflet that was produced as part of the Iron Bridge Restoration Project several years ago.

There is a commitment from Stockport MBC to provide some of the funding for the major works, and the Friends of Brabyns will also contribute through their existing funds. The Marple Website has made a donation of £100 to this project and if you would like to make a donation too, you can do so via the Friends of Brabyns Park's page in the Community Directory.

The Friends will welcome any groups (e.g. schools, Scouts, Guides etc) who might want to get involved in this wider project, and encourage them to get in touch too.

https://www.marple.website/community-projects/relocation-of-iron-bridge-plaque.html

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2019, 03:44:46 PM »
It's a long time since I posted in this thread!

Removal and refitting of the Iron Bridge Bronze Plaque

As many people will know, the Marple Website was the driving force behind the restoration of the Iron Bridge in Brabyns Park. This lengthy project began in 2001 and restoration was completed in 2008.

The web site is pleased to now be working with Friends of Brabyns Park and the Council to secure the future of the Bronze Plaque installed in 2009:

https://www.marple.website/community-projects/relocation-of-iron-bridge-plaque.html

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2012, 06:52:18 PM »
The Iron Bridge Listening Post has now been installed:

http://www.marple-uk.com/ironbridge/

Who will be the first to listen to it?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2012, 08:25:35 AM »
I'm pleased to report that a significant step forward has been made on the final outstanding task of the Iron Bridge Restoration Project this week with the production of a sound recording by the Carver Theatre for a listening post that will be installed at the bridge.

The post should be installed in the coming weeks (before Christmas I hope) but in the meantime you can listen to the recording on-line in the Iron Bridge Project Diary:

www.marple-uk.com/ironbridge

A very big thank you to Elizabeth Galloway, who is the lady speaking, and John Woodruff for the technical aspects of the recording, done in his studio. Elizabeth and John are both members of the Carver Theatre and are also involved in Marple Moments, who have a community page on The Marple Website.

This has been a fine example of local community groups helping each other out in Marple.

www.carvertheatre.co.uk
www.marplemoments.co.uk

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2011, 10:33:31 AM »
thanks Mark.. i ll read that a few times so i can quote it chapter and verse!  :)

Guess the workmen much have brushed the growths off the stump!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2011, 07:18:17 AM »
The stump hasn't been retreated yet but I have a tin of the stuff we use on the tree sculptures in Memorial Park ready for a suitable weather window.

Most of the money spent on this is from the HLF grant of £427,700 we were awarded to restore the bridge and wasn't available to spend on something else instead. I did put an explanation in the Diary:

A design for the improvements was agreed way back in September 2009 but allocating the funds to implement the works has been a problem because it was never in the original budget for the project. This is because the opportunity for a viewing platform only arose following the unfortunate demise of the large beech tree near to the bridge and our decision to mount the plaque on it.

The total cost of the improvement works is £16,391 and it has largely being funded by the reallocation of money in the original budget for the proposed short drama film by Fusion Films. This ran into difficulties with escalating costs and it was eventually agreed with the HLF to cancel it and divert the funds of £12,491 to the Viewing Platform. The balance is made up from the 2008 Unilever Dragonfly Award of £2,500 given to Peter and me by the Mersey Basin Trust, £250 was contributed by Marple Civic Society and the £1,143 shortfall was covered by Stockport Council.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2011, 10:46:58 PM »
its lovely... and has the "stump" been recoated?  was going to suggest something be done as it was looking a bit tired!

Can you tell me how it was financed Mark? I'm an everyday user of Brabyns and I've had a lot of comments about it.. in particular the use of money on it when things like the dog bins have been removed and the road is so worn out. Theres a lot of frustration amongst park users there at mo and i suppose _to a degree_ ..human nature and all that.. theyve forgotten how awful it all was before you and yours got your hands on it!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2011, 01:50:10 PM »
The Iron Bridge Viewing Platform is now completed and yesterday was the first opportunity to take some photos. I must admit to being very pleased with the result: www.marple-uk.com/ironbridge
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2011, 12:23:50 PM »
Iron Bridge Viewing Platform railings are now installed and awaiting final paint and scaffold removal.

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-52
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2011, 02:15:24 PM »
The Viewing Platform is nearing completion with just the railings to install next week:

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2011, 07:59:33 AM »
Some photos of the work in progress on the Viewing Platform have been added to the Virtual Tour this morning. The lads doing the work reckon they'll be finished by next Thursday but that won't included the railings, which are being fitted by others:

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2011, 11:35:22 PM »
in the park itself.. leading from the rec centre to the bridge.  Regular events and some very large caravans and trucks (huge ones from the recent sales show to the forces and emergency services.. cant rem what they were selling!) have destroyed it!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2011, 04:15:37 PM »
Excellent Mark !! look forward to seeing it.  how long will it take?

Shame the roads totally wrecked again now :(

I don't know how long it will take yet - am waiting for an answer to that myself.

Do you mean the road from the bridge to Compstall, or in the park itself?

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2011, 02:36:14 PM »
Excellent Mark !! look forward to seeing it.  how long will it take?

Shame the roads totally wrecked again now :(