Call High Lane Garage for a polite, fast response on low mileage cars

Author Topic: Dog poo fouled footpaths  (Read 23015 times)

Kevin Dowling

Re: Dog poo fouled footpaths
« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2018, 01:08:33 PM »
It's a good plan Geoff, I appreciate that you are keeping us informed but you'll be gone from the council by then.

The consultation and the plan is useless if we fail to effect legal imposition and enforcement.

We cannot accept statements such as ...No money... and only one dog warden... as the answer from the council.
Independent Candidate for Marple North

GeoffAbell

• Marple Lib Dems
« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2018, 12:34:59 PM »
Stockport Council have just issued this.  If you are interested, dog-owner or not, please respond to the consultation.  Your comments will very much be reflected in decisions taken.

HAVE YOUR SAY ON RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNERSHIP

Stockport Council is consulting on proposals to promote responsible dog ownership in the Borough.
The Council understands that the majority of dog owners are responsible and look after both their dogs and their local environment. The Council, however, continues to receive complaints about dog fouling and irresponsible dog owners across the Borough.

In response to these complaints, the Council is consulting on proposals to introduce a number of additional measures that it believes will promote responsible dog ownership in the Borough.
These proposals include:
- Strengthen the existing provisions to prevent dog fouling by increasing the current fine from £50 to £100
- Excluding dogs from enclosed children’s play areas and other enclosed sports areas
- Requiring dogs to be kept on leads in cemeteries and around bowling greens
- No more than four dogs to be under the control of one person in parks and other public open areas
- Requiring people to have dog bags or the means to pick up after their dog when they are walking their dog
- Requiring people to put dogs on a lead when requested by an authorised officer

Residents have until 7th June 2018 to have their say at www.stockport.gov.uk/haveyoursay. Once this consultation has taken place, the Council will take a decision on what measures to introduce.
This is part of the ‘We Love Stockport – Be Proud of Where You Live’ campaign that is underway across the Borough.

Caroline Simpson, Corporate Director for Place at Stockport Council, said: “The Council is committed to improving the environment in Stockport but, unfortunately, dog fouling remains one of the biggest causes of complaints from residents. By doubling the fine from £50 to £100, we want to send a strong message that dog fouling is an environmental crime and we’ll prosecute those who don’t pick up after their dog.
“The other measures are designed to promote responsible dog ownership. We know the vast majority of dog owners are considerate and do care about the local environment, but we want to make sure that the Council’s greenspaces and public areas can be enjoyed by everybody.”

For more information visit www.stockport.gov.uk/haveyoursay

Kevin Dowling

« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2018, 10:38:18 AM »

I live opposite MMP and this situation is on the increase. I walk through it on a daily basis and I have witnessed countless examples of dog fouling incidents. I have on occasions tackled the culprits ( the dog owners that is not the dog ) and have been met with mixed responses. Admin's report on his 'task day' is a heartbreaking one and there is no doubt that a wonderful community asset is being degraded by these inconsiderate dog owners, as well as the negative effect their anti-social behaviour is having on a dedicated group of people who keep the park alive.

A resolution though, is within our grasp, it is certainly within the grasp of our local councillors and this resolution would be one of my priorities if I were a local councillor.

In my opinion, dog fouling people are tantamount to people who park in disabled parking spaces. They are just not like the rest of us. We don't understand why they would do it and they don't understand why we wouldn't do it. They will not cease unless we deter them.

During my time on the council, I cannot recall hearing of one single case across the whole of Stockport, ( let alone Marple) where there was a prosecution on dog fouling. This is what is needed. After all the consultations are over we must ensure that the council effects legal imposition and enforcement. The publicity of a handful of prosecutions will work wonders. What we must not do is allow local politicians to be politely( there's that word again) fobbed off by Senior Council Officers, once again, claiming lack of resources.
Independent Candidate for Marple North

rsh

« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2018, 09:50:26 AM »
Council’s proposals seem very fair and welcome, particularly increasing the fouling fine (even if it’s never used) and especially the limit to 4 dogs under the control of one person. Hopefully this might dissuade the professional dog walkers or private owners who feel it’s acceptable to let a whole pack loose across linear paths like Middlewood with little to no control and instead just constantly say “sorry” to everyone they pass for blocking their path or surrounding their own dog.

I feel for the friends of the park group having to deal with people like that. A general rule of “keep your dog under control OR on a lead” would be sensible in most places.

Yesterday I had a dog actually walk towards the front wheel of my bike along the canal, despite slowing to a crawl and moving right over, nearly sending me into the canal. The owner, with a second dog, both pointlessly meandering off their leads despite being on a narrow linear path, gave the usual jolly “sorry!” rather than ensuring the dogs were under control in the first place. He met with my sternest (not very stern) “yeah, that’s why I keep mine on a lead!” response. 8)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2018, 10:40:01 AM »
Sorry but they should be shot the dogs that is .

Even for me that's a bit extreme Amazon! It is more the owners' fault than the dogs, it is the owners who need to change.

I suspect that I spoke yesterday to the lady who posted.  She came up with a good idea of an area where it's safe to let dogs off the lead.  I doubt it could be enforceable, but most people react well to polite requests I find.  The park has all sorts of users.

I agree with this and I have made the suggestion in my comments on the council consultation. What FoMMP would like to see is a "Dogs on leads until the designated area please!" sign across the paths at the main entrances to the park, maybe with some reminders where the paths converge. Then another line that when you cross it in one direction says "Dogs can be let off leads beyond this point" and in the other direction says "Dogs on leads beyond this point please". Maybe these could be complimented with some "Please keep dogs off the flowerbeds" signs too.

Incidentally, I am standing down as a councillor.  In my time, I've noticed Marple Memorial Park go from strength to strength, in spite of the cuts in resources (directly as a result of government cuts in funding to local councils).  Friends and volunteers really have stepped up and I thank them.

Thank you for acknowledging that Geoff. Without Friends of the Park there would be no flowerbeds in the park at all.
Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2018, 10:25:32 AM »
Shared from Friends of the Park's web site:

A busy task day in pleasant sunshine was a little marred for Friends of Memorial Park yesterday. We were very disappointed to have to fill 4 bags with dog mess from around the flowerbeds before we could make a start on maintenance.

Unfortunately over the next 15 minutes we had problems with several dog owners. The first let his two spaniels out in the car park. Full of energy, they crashed through our flowerbeds many times before one of them crapped amongst the plants. While the owner picked up, the other dog continued his running through the beds breaking off daffodils. After suggesting to the owner that he keep his dogs on a lead until past the flowerbeds, and he replied "fair point", they continued on their trail of destruction into the War Memorial Beds, where the second dog crapped. So the owner then had to walk into the bed himself to clear up while the pair of them continued to burn off energy crashing through the low hedges we planted last year.

The next one was a lady whose dog crapped near the beds but she was too busy talking on her phone to notice. When this was pointed out to her she picked up but without apology or acknowledgement or interruption of her phone conversation.

We then had another lady who allowed her dog to crap in a flowerbed and on the edge of the border. She picked up but when asked why she needed to let the dog crap on the beds because we have to kneel there to maintain them she didn't seem to understand our concerns. While this was going on her second dog, a small Jack Russell type, continued wandering happily through the beds taking no notice of her efforts to call it out. When told what we thought of this and that her dog should be under control she said she didn't like my rudeness (the word crap was used several times) and although she supported what we did in the park she wasn't sure if she could continue to do so. Well this is the kind of support we can do without!

Then just when things were calming down and we were getting back to work another owner with a dog on a long lead allowed it to wander back and forth through one of the beds. When spoken to he said "the dog was in sniffing mode"!

Thankfully things got back to normal after that and we managed to put fresh edges to all the beds, get lots of weeds out and add a selection of new plants. Work was also done to the Toilet Bed and Jubilee Bed, and the WWI silhouette at the park entrance was cleaned of the mud that someone had thrown on it. We also tidied up the mess left by the contractor around the benches at the park entrance when they replaced the York stone that had been stolen.

On a much happier note, we also continued our Little Growers scheme, which encourages young children to take home some seeds to grow and nurture before planting back in the park later in the year. This is proving very popular and we'll do it for the final time this year during the next task day on 28 April, which will also be the annual Family Treasure Hunt.

http://www.marplememorialpark.org.uk/task-days/task-days-in-2018.html
Sorry but they should be shot the dogs that is .

GeoffAbell

• Marple Lib Dems
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2018, 10:18:05 AM »
Couple of points on this issue.

Firstly, we have checked with officers re the pink spray.  (@Blossom - nominally councillors are in charge!  I am pleased to say they listen to us, and we listen to them.)

Secondly, as someone recently mentioned in a scrutiny meeting, some things are so much better these days.  One is casual drink-driving and another is that dog-owners normally pick up after their pets.  Not to say there aren't exceptions, of course...

I suspect that I spoke yesterday to the lady who posted.  She came up with a good idea of an area where it's safe to let dogs off the lead.  I doubt it could be enforceable, but most people react well to polite requests I find.  The park has all sorts of users.

Incidentally, I am standing down as a councillor.  In my time, I've noticed Marple Memorial Park go from strength to strength, in spite of the cuts in resources (directly as a result of government cuts in funding to local councils).  Friends and volunteers really have stepped up and I thank them.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2018, 09:07:40 AM »
Shared from Friends of the Park's web site:

A busy task day in pleasant sunshine was a little marred for Friends of Memorial Park yesterday. We were very disappointed to have to fill 4 bags with dog mess from around the flowerbeds before we could make a start on maintenance.

Unfortunately over the next 15 minutes we had problems with several dog owners. The first let his two spaniels out in the car park. Full of energy, they crashed through our flowerbeds many times before one of them crapped amongst the plants. While the owner picked up, the other dog continued his running through the beds breaking off daffodils. After suggesting to the owner that he keep his dogs on a lead until past the flowerbeds, and he replied "fair point", they continued on their trail of destruction into the War Memorial Beds, where the second dog crapped. So the owner then had to walk into the bed himself to clear up while the pair of them continued to burn off energy crashing through the low hedges we planted last year.

The next one was a lady whose dog crapped near the beds but she was too busy talking on her phone to notice. When this was pointed out to her she picked up but without apology or acknowledgement or interruption of her phone conversation.

We then had another lady who allowed her dog to crap in a flowerbed and on the edge of the border. She picked up but when asked why she needed to let the dog crap on the beds because we have to kneel there to maintain them she didn't seem to understand our concerns. While this was going on her second dog, a small Jack Russell type, continued wandering happily through the beds taking no notice of her efforts to call it out. When told what we thought of this and that her dog should be under control she said she didn't like my rudeness (the word crap was used several times) and although she supported what we did in the park she wasn't sure if she could continue to do so. Well this is the kind of support we can do without!

Then just when things were calming down and we were getting back to work another owner with a dog on a long lead allowed it to wander back and forth through one of the beds. When spoken to he said "the dog was in sniffing mode"!

Thankfully things got back to normal after that and we managed to put fresh edges to all the beds, get lots of weeds out and add a selection of new plants. Work was also done to the Toilet Bed and Jubilee Bed, and the WWI silhouette at the park entrance was cleaned of the mud that someone had thrown on it. We also tidied up the mess left by the contractor around the benches at the park entrance when they replaced the York stone that had been stolen.

On a much happier note, we also continued our Little Growers scheme, which encourages young children to take home some seeds to grow and nurture before planting back in the park later in the year. This is proving very popular and we'll do it for the final time this year during the next task day on 28 April, which will also be the annual Family Treasure Hunt.

http://www.marplememorialpark.org.uk/task-days/task-days-in-2018.html
Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #126 on: April 11, 2018, 04:28:10 PM »
Ever seen a farmer picking up after his dog? No, me neither!

That said, actually I agree that dog poo should not be left in fields where there is livestock, and no-one on this thread has suggested that it should.

GM

« Reply #125 on: April 11, 2018, 12:54:40 PM »
Regardless of where you are you should be picking it up and taking it home or putting it into a designated bin.

Just kicking it down the side of a footpath or adjacent fields is absolutely inexcusable, dog poo can transmit worms and other life threatening parasites to livestock including sheep and cows.

Even if the fields are empty these parasites survive for a long period of time dormant waiting for livestock later in the year.
Such parasites cause livestock to die, abort pregnancy's, horses have also been known to eat the poo bags which despite there supposedly biodegradable nature don't just disappear overnight!.

Just because its rural is not an excuse!.

Dave

« Reply #124 on: April 11, 2018, 10:22:16 AM »
Considering Stockport is a metropolitan borough, some parts of it (e.g. round here) are surprisingly rural.   So it's important that councillors and officers keep that in mind when introducing new regulations - they should be fit for purpose in all parts of the borough, including out here in the 'sticks!' 

Steve Gribbon

• Councillor Marple North
    • Follow me on Twitter sgribbonlibdems
« Reply #123 on: April 11, 2018, 08:09:37 AM »

Good morning

Thank you for your messages so far, and that is the beauty of this site, open polite and reasonable debate.
I think checking with the Council is a really good idea and I shall do that, I was going put the reason for the pink spray onto laminate sheets and put them on lamp posts which I thought may also encourage picking up, but I will reply on here when I have been in contact.

Blossom-going out and ranting at people like the person you said is one thing I guarantee I would not do! I would like to see a couple of posts down there with bags available, but this is something I am hoping if I get elected I can get involved in.

Like I have said for Months, helping our community is why I am standing. This is another reason, not just for the fact it is unsightly, it is very much a health hazard too.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon
Councillor Marple North
Follow me on Twitter @sgribbonlibdems
Email: stevegribbonlibdems@gmail.com

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2018, 06:05:27 AM »
Good evening.

I have some pink bio-degradable spray that has been used in other areas of the UK to highlight poo left behind on footpaths. The idea is that the poo is sprayed and this is designed to show inconsiderate owners that it is being noticed. It has proved popular in other parts of the UK.

I intend to go down Middlewood way in the next few days and do some 'highlighting'. Before I do, if anyone has an opinion either positive or negative it would be read and taken on. Personally I think anything is worth a go, this might just help. I won't do anything until Thursday morning so this gives people time to say their views.

Your comments as always are welcome. Please join in with your thoughts.

Seven Months into my Councillor candidate campaign and I am still loving it, although spraying dog poo pink was not one of the things I thought I'd be involved in!!!

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

Friends of Memorial Park wanted to try this in the park some years ago, back in the days when we had a full-time park attendant, but the council wouldn't support it.

It would be interesting to trial it somewhere, although I would suggest talking to Greenspace Officers first.
Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website

Blossom

« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2018, 11:53:52 PM »
Good evening.

I have some pink bio-degradable spray that has been used in other areas of the UK to highlight poo left behind on footpaths. The idea is that the poo is sprayed and this is designed to show inconsiderate owners that it is being noticed. It has proved popular in other parts of the UK.

I intend to go down Middlewood way in the next few days and do some 'highlighting'. Before I do, if anyone has an opinion either positive or negative it would be read and taken on. Personally I think anything is worth a go, this might just help. I won't do anything until Thursday morning so this gives people time to say their views.

Your comments as always are welcome. Please join in with your thoughts.

Seven Months into my Councillor candidate campaign and I am still loving it, although spraying dog poo pink was not one of the things I thought I'd be involved in!!!

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

A lady who was renting a house near me tried this a few years ago, although with blue paint.  It looked an absolute mess and made the problem worse as she verbally attacked anyone with a dog so just to annoy her people seemed to leave more on the pavement.  Just to add I didn't.  In the end someone reported her to the Council and she was told to stop.  Perhaps you had better check with your possible future employers to see if they are now happy with someone doing this.

Blossom

« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2018, 11:48:20 PM »
The problem with carrying a loaded 'doggy bag' is not one of weight but simply one of convenience, if that is the right expression!

These proposals are reasonable and welcome when applied to urban and suburban pavements, parks, sports pitches, children's play areas etc, all of which need to be kept clean, and which are usually provided with waste bins.  But once you get away from the suburbs and into the country, they don't really make much sense.  Those of us who walk our dogs out in the Peak District or just around the bridleways and byways of the Goyt Valley, sometimes going for miles and taking a couple of hours or more (during which you never pass a waste bin) are simply not going to walk that distance carrying a bag of dog poo.   We have a supply of doggy bags in our pockets, and we use them when we can, but when away from roads and paved footpaths we will have to continue doing what we do now, which is either to ensure that our dogs are off the track when they do their business, or (if they go where they shouldn't) simply flick or kick it into the undergrowth or (on the towpath) into the canal. 

That may or may not comply with the proposed new regulations, but it is the reality of country life, and until the British countryside is fully equipped with waste bins, complete with teams of countryside rangers to empty them evey week (don't hold your breath!) it will carry on that way.

Well said Dave.  We walked our dog through some woodland in the Peak District area and there was actually a sign up from the owners of the woodland (I am struggling to remember who it definitely was but I am pretty sure it was English Heritage) and there was actually a sign up asking dog owners to 'stick and flick' rather than use a plastic bag.  The sign said that the dog poo would deteriorate quicker 'out in the open' rather than in a plastic bag.  As long as it flicked into a bush or well off the paths that are obviously walked on, I can't see the problem.  I do it all the time in areas such as this woodland.

I NEVER leave it on footpaths, roads, Brabyns or Memorial Park, or anywhere other than in the depth of the countryside and deep in woodland.  If they bring in a law that you have to have a poo bag on you if questioned, that is fine by me, as every single coat I own has poo bags in the pockets.  I also support heavy fines was anyone leaving dog poo on pavements, parks, etc.