Cole and Fox Interior Design Marple | Romiley | Stockport

Author Topic: Dog poo fouled footpaths  (Read 42463 times)

GM

Re: Dog poo fouled footpaths
« Reply #125 on: April 11, 2018, 12:54:40 PM »
Regardless of where you are you should be picking it up and taking it home or putting it into a designated bin.

Just kicking it down the side of a footpath or adjacent fields is absolutely inexcusable, dog poo can transmit worms and other life threatening parasites to livestock including sheep and cows.

Even if the fields are empty these parasites survive for a long period of time dormant waiting for livestock later in the year.
Such parasites cause livestock to die, abort pregnancy's, horses have also been known to eat the poo bags which despite there supposedly biodegradable nature don't just disappear overnight!.

Just because its rural is not an excuse!.

Dave

« Reply #124 on: April 11, 2018, 10:22:16 AM »
Considering Stockport is a metropolitan borough, some parts of it (e.g. round here) are surprisingly rural.   So it's important that councillors and officers keep that in mind when introducing new regulations - they should be fit for purpose in all parts of the borough, including out here in the 'sticks!' 

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #123 on: April 11, 2018, 08:09:37 AM »

Good morning

Thank you for your messages so far, and that is the beauty of this site, open polite and reasonable debate.
I think checking with the Council is a really good idea and I shall do that, I was going put the reason for the pink spray onto laminate sheets and put them on lamp posts which I thought may also encourage picking up, but I will reply on here when I have been in contact.

Blossom-going out and ranting at people like the person you said is one thing I guarantee I would not do! I would like to see a couple of posts down there with bags available, but this is something I am hoping if I get elected I can get involved in.

Like I have said for Months, helping our community is why I am standing. This is another reason, not just for the fact it is unsightly, it is very much a health hazard too.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2018, 06:05:27 AM »
Good evening.

I have some pink bio-degradable spray that has been used in other areas of the UK to highlight poo left behind on footpaths. The idea is that the poo is sprayed and this is designed to show inconsiderate owners that it is being noticed. It has proved popular in other parts of the UK.

I intend to go down Middlewood way in the next few days and do some 'highlighting'. Before I do, if anyone has an opinion either positive or negative it would be read and taken on. Personally I think anything is worth a go, this might just help. I won't do anything until Thursday morning so this gives people time to say their views.

Your comments as always are welcome. Please join in with your thoughts.

Seven Months into my Councillor candidate campaign and I am still loving it, although spraying dog poo pink was not one of the things I thought I'd be involved in!!!

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

Friends of Memorial Park wanted to try this in the park some years ago, back in the days when we had a full-time park attendant, but the council wouldn't support it.

It would be interesting to trial it somewhere, although I would suggest talking to Greenspace Officers first.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Blossom

« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2018, 11:53:52 PM »
Good evening.

I have some pink bio-degradable spray that has been used in other areas of the UK to highlight poo left behind on footpaths. The idea is that the poo is sprayed and this is designed to show inconsiderate owners that it is being noticed. It has proved popular in other parts of the UK.

I intend to go down Middlewood way in the next few days and do some 'highlighting'. Before I do, if anyone has an opinion either positive or negative it would be read and taken on. Personally I think anything is worth a go, this might just help. I won't do anything until Thursday morning so this gives people time to say their views.

Seven Months into my Councillor candidate campaign and I am still loving it, although spraying dog poo pink was not one of the things I thought I'd be involved in!!!

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

A lady who was renting a house near me tried this a few years ago, although with blue paint.  It looked an absolute mess and made the problem worse as she verbally attacked anyone with a dog so just to annoy her people seemed to leave more on the pavement.  Just to add I didn't.  In the end someone reported her to the Council and she was told to stop.  Perhaps you had better check with your possible future employers to see if they are now happy with someone doing this.

Blossom

« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2018, 11:48:20 PM »
The problem with carrying a loaded 'doggy bag' is not one of weight but simply one of convenience, if that is the right expression!

These proposals are reasonable and welcome when applied to urban and suburban pavements, parks, sports pitches, children's play areas etc, all of which need to be kept clean, and which are usually provided with waste bins.  But once you get away from the suburbs and into the country, they don't really make much sense.  Those of us who walk our dogs out in the Peak District or just around the bridleways and byways of the Goyt Valley, sometimes going for miles and taking a couple of hours or more (during which you never pass a waste bin) are simply not going to walk that distance carrying a bag of dog poo.   We have a supply of doggy bags in our pockets, and we use them when we can, but when away from roads and paved footpaths we will have to continue doing what we do now, which is either to ensure that our dogs are off the track when they do their business, or (if they go where they shouldn't) simply flick or kick it into the undergrowth or (on the towpath) into the canal. 

That may or may not comply with the proposed new regulations, but it is the reality of country life, and until the British countryside is fully equipped with waste bins, complete with teams of countryside rangers to empty them evey week (don't hold your breath!) it will carry on that way.

Well said Dave.  We walked our dog through some woodland in the Peak District area and there was actually a sign up from the owners of the woodland (I am struggling to remember who it definitely was but I am pretty sure it was English Heritage) and there was actually a sign up asking dog owners to 'stick and flick' rather than use a plastic bag.  The sign said that the dog poo would deteriorate quicker 'out in the open' rather than in a plastic bag.  As long as it flicked into a bush or well off the paths that are obviously walked on, I can't see the problem.  I do it all the time in areas such as this woodland.

I NEVER leave it on footpaths, roads, Brabyns or Memorial Park, or anywhere other than in the depth of the countryside and deep in woodland.  If they bring in a law that you have to have a poo bag on you if questioned, that is fine by me, as every single coat I own has poo bags in the pockets.  I also support heavy fines was anyone leaving dog poo on pavements, parks, etc. 

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #119 on: April 10, 2018, 10:16:28 PM »

Good evening.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

andrewbowden

« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2018, 12:01:55 PM »
The problem with carrying a loaded 'doggy bag' is not one of weight but simply one of convenience, if that is the right expression!

These proposals are reasonable and welcome when applied to urban and suburban pavements, parks, sports pitches, children's play areas etc, all of which need to be kept clean, and which are usually provided with waste bins.  But once you get away from the suburbs and into the country, they don't really make much sense.  Those of us who walk our dogs out in the Peak District or just around the bridleways and byways of the Goyt Valley, sometimes going for miles and taking a couple of hours or more (during which you never pass a waste bin) are simply not going to walk that distance carrying a bag of dog poo.   We have a supply of doggy bags in our pockets, and we use them when we can, but when away from roads and paved footpaths we will have to continue doing what we do now, which is either to ensure that our dogs are off the track when they do their business, or (if they go where they shouldn't) simply flick or kick it into the undergrowth or (on the towpath) into the canal. 

The Forestry Commission runs a campaign urging people to flick it.  In the countryside bagged poo left dangling for the poo bag fairies is far worse for the environment than just flicking it into the undergrowth. 

Dave

« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2018, 11:48:55 AM »

That may or may not comply with the proposed new regulations, but it is the reality of country life, and until the British countryside is fully equipped with waste bins, complete with teams of countryside rangers to empty them evey week (don't hold your breath!) it will carry on that way.

nbt

« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2018, 10:09:28 AM »
THEY ALLSO NEED TO INCREASE THE DOG BINS Go round etherrow dogs everywere but not many if any bins people are not going to walk around with it will dump it some were .

how bloody heavy is dog poo? if it's too heavy too carry, maybe people shouldn't have dogs? if its not too heavy, don't leave it somewhere. If it's too disgusting for you to carry, it's twice as disgusting for you to leave it packaged up into a neat little bag hanging from a tree or stuffed into a wall. Some people really need a talking to.
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2018, 06:41:45 AM »
If you look back to post 41 I did just that, some time ago now but I bet things haven’t improved.

That's right @Snowball ! I knew I'd seen it somewhere and didn't realise it was right here in this thread. Here's what you discovered then.......

I submitted my Freedom of Information Request to Stockport MBC, questions and answers  below

1.         How many Dog Wardens are currently employed by Stockport MBC?

One dog warden currently employed.

2.         How many Fixed Penalty tickets for dog fouling were issued in 2014 by Dog Wardens and PCSO's ?

2 FPNs were issued for dog fouling offences in 2014.  1 by a PCSO and 1 by a dog warden.

3.         How many prosecutions for dog fouling were undertaken in 2014 by Stockport MBC ?

None.

4.         Of the Fixed Penalty tickets issued how many were issued in Marple ?

None.

The answers speak for themselves really, it's little wonder that the problem is so widespread with the meager resources deployed. Two Fixed Penalty tickets issued in the whole of the MBC area makes you realise why some dog owners are happy to ignore the law with impunity.

Apologies for funny formatting (sorted - Admin)
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Snowball

« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2018, 10:45:48 PM »
The council will.  You could put in a Freedom of Information request.

If you look back to post 41 I did just that, some time ago now but I bet things haven’t improved.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #113 on: April 09, 2018, 02:04:00 PM »
Just a quick question; how many people annually are fined the current £50 for dog fouling, does anyone know?

RH.

I don't know the answer to that question but I do know that nobody has EVER been fined for dog fouling in Marple Memorial Park.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

andrewbowden

« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2018, 01:19:49 PM »
Just a quick question; how many people annually are fined the current £50 for dog fouling, does anyone know?

RH.

The council will.  You could put in a Freedom of Information request.

One thing they could potentially do with the increased fines, is spend it on enforcement.  I used to live in an area where they increased the fines for littering and hired more people to do the enforcement.  And that would (hopefully) bring in more fines ;)

Rudolph Hucker

« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2018, 12:01:04 PM »

RH.