Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Author Topic: International Women's Day  (Read 2437 times)

EmmyJane Designs

Re: International Women's Day
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 06:08:33 PM »
Go for it Henrietta.
I've been cycling for years. Many of those miles on the back of our tandem. Last year ourselves and another Marple couple cycled the coast to coast (Workington to Tynemouth) and back on our tandems.
It's quite funny listening to all the comments from people we pass. Also it seems to bring a smile to their faces.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 06:40:14 PM »
Bad luck on not being able to cycle successfully Henrietta, perhaps you could find someone with a tandem, there are plenty of women who ride on the back of a tandem and admit to not being able to ride their own bike, or you could even get a tricycle, not all are heavy dreadnoughts. Many more women are cycling now although the greatest increase is in sporting cyclists. A few years ago our own daughter discovered a lady wanting to get 100 women to ride the Manchester 100 Charity Ride. She got her 100, and if all did as well as our daughter in getting nearly £1000 sponsorship money then Chrisities did well out of the initiative. Since then several of them have stayed in touch and have had holidays together, the first was to ride from Lands End to John o'Groats and more recently going on cycle holidays to Majorca.  But it is not just sporting cycling, it is often much quicker to go to the shops by bike than by car and you don't have to be a young athlete to do so.  A lady cyclist i know was so incensed by someone saying in the Stockport Press that Stockport was far too hilly for cycling so the Council should stop catering for them, that for the first time in her life she wrote to the paper saying that she got her shopping on her bike which meant cycling up Lancashire Hill with loaded panniers, and she was over 80 years old.
Oh, YES! I've always fancied a tricycle. Shades of Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple! Pedalling furiously up Stockport Road, tweed cape flying, with the bottles of gin rattling in the handlebar basket.  ;D

CTCREP

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 10:10:43 AM »
Bad luck on not being able to cycle successfully Henrietta, perhaps you could find someone with a tandem, there are plenty of women who ride on the back of a tandem and admit to not being able to ride their own bike, or you could even get a tricycle, not all are heavy dreadnoughts. Many more women are cycling now although the greatest increase is in sporting cyclists. A few years ago our own daughter discovered a lady wanting to get 100 women to ride the Manchester 100 Charity Ride. She got her 100, and if all did as well as our daughter in getting nearly £1000 sponsorship money then Chrisities did well out of the initiative. Since then several of them have stayed in touch and have had holidays together, the first was to ride from Lands End to John o'Groats and more recently going on cycle holidays to Majorca.  But it is not just sporting cycling, it is often much quicker to go to the shops by bike than by car and you don't have to be a young athlete to do so.  A lady cyclist i know was so incensed by someone saying in the Stockport Press that Stockport was far too hilly for cycling so the Council should stop catering for them, that for the first time in her life she wrote to the paper saying that she got her shopping on her bike which meant cycling up Lancashire Hill with loaded panniers, and she was over 80 years old.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 10:30:38 PM »
This is great.
I've been trying for years to encourage more women to cycle.  The benefits are great.
Despite a pair of cyclist parents and endless years of trying, this woman could never get the hang of it. I can go very fast in a straight line but have to have help to start and stop! A balance problem I suspect. Horses are a much more sensible prospect - they have a leg at each corner!

EmmyJane Designs

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 06:00:32 PM »
This is great.
I've been trying for years to encourage more women to cycle.  The benefits are great.

CTCREP

International Women's Day
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 05:00:00 PM »
This Sunday 8 March is International Women’s Day. To mark the occasion, CTC and Transport for Greater Manchester have combined forces to launch a month of cycling activities aimed at women in the city. ‘Girls Go Better By Cycle’ will consist of a fantastic programme of events for both novice and more experienced riders.
http://www.ctc.org.uk/news/20150306-girls-go-better-bike-launch