Estate agency, done differently in Marple and District

Author Topic: Rejuvenation of the shopping precinct in Stockport  (Read 8149 times)

wheels

Re: Rejuvenation of the shopping precinct in Stockport
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 11:58:54 AM »

With regard the red rock / mersey way solution, they are wide of the mark IMHO. SMBC are keeping Mersey way alive, if they pulled the plug the creditors will pull the plug from the administrators and it will go. I think it would be bold but sensible to do this. Let's be honest, it's hideous and it's a visible eyesore that looks like it represents Stockport as a backward place few would like to visit. Mersey Way was a stupid idea in the first place, Stockport exists due to it's river and geography, why anyone would then decide to concrete it over is beyond me. The thing to do now is allow Mersey way to go, buy up the precict at a cut price and flatten the south bank and expose the river so it's navigable again.  Then a bit of landscaping around the river and hey presto, the place would be attractive again. This would designate the North side as the dull & boring chain stores and the south bank will be the old town with it's attractive buildings and shops.

But Duke what has Mersey Way got to do with the Local Authority its a private development on private land just as the Peel Centre is?

Duke Fame

Re: Rejuvenation of the shopping precinct in Stockport
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 03:34:44 PM »
Whens that happening certainly needs it .

The 'Old Town' has been allocated £7m with on the back of the Portas Pilot having a £200k budget and having a fair bit of success.

The problem seems to be that the £7m is council led whereas the Portas Pilot has been free of council influence. The £7m appears to be earmarked for buying up property which is doesn't really do much. Landlords and council need to recognise that the going rate for retail space in the Old Town is £42 pa per square metre (that's the price the last 5 tenants paid) yet they are asking £200 per sq m and lots of empty space despite help on offer from the Portas group. For the council to simple land bank property without an understanding of the potential tenants, they will simply make a few property owners very rich and waste taxpayer's money.

With regard the red rock / mersey way solution, they are wide of the mark IMHO. SMBC are keeping Mersey way alive, if they pulled the plug the creditors will pull the plug from the administrators and it will go. I think it would be bold but sensible to do this. Let's be honest, it's hideous and it's a visible eyesore that looks like it represents Stockport as a backward place few would like to visit. Mersey Way was a stupid idea in the first place, Stockport exists due to it's river and geography, why anyone would then decide to concrete it over is beyond me. The thing to do now is allow Mersey way to go, buy up the precict at a cut price and flatten the south bank and expose the river so it's navigable again.  Then a bit of landscaping around the river and hey presto, the place would be attractive again. This would designate the North side as the dull & boring chain stores and the south bank will be the old town with it's attractive buildings and shops.

Howard

amazon

Rejuvenation of the shopping precinct in Stockport
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 04:56:22 PM »
Shared with the council, the council insists on paying for parking but I think the coop have not enforced it. It may be something for the council to appreciate that car park charges are not good for business & perhaps worth considering when they rejuvenate the shopping precinct in Stockport
Whens that happening certainly needs it .