Cole and Fox Interior Design Marple | Romiley | Stockport

Author Topic: Rejuvenation of the shopping precinct in Stockport  (Read 8146 times)

wheels

Re: Rejuvenation of the shopping precinct in Stockport
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 02:18:48 PM »
You've refered to the owners a few times Wheels, my understanding is that the precinct is in the hands of administrators and propped up by the council. It's a great opportunity to let it go bump if that's the case.

It might well be that your understanding is incorrect

marplerambler

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 05:06:29 PM »
You've refered to the owners a few times Wheels, my understanding is that the precinct is in the hands of administrators and propped up by the council. It's a great opportunity to let it go bump if that's the case.
Would it not go 'splash'?

Duke Fame

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 06:33:31 PM »
It has been sold many times since then which was about 2000 I don't think the current owners have any such plans.

wheels

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2015, 01:48:30 PM »
In 2001 there were plans to put glass plates in the pavement to expose the river,don't know what happened,perhaps the plan should be re visited.

It has been sold many times since then which was about 2000 I don't think the current owners have any such plans.

Barbara

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2015, 08:53:00 AM »
Thanks for the link Water Rat.  That was an enjoyable little video - don't think I am brave enough to try it myself though!   ;D

bat man

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2015, 01:48:05 AM »
In 2001 there were plans to put glass plates in the pavement to expose the river,don't know what happened,perhaps the plan should be re visited.

Water Rat

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 11:11:01 PM »
If you are interested to see what it is like under Merseyway the link below leads to a short video

http://www.getoutwiththekids.co.uk/water/paddling-the-mersey/

Water Rat

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 07:23:06 PM »
There is indeed a canoe trail from Stockport downstream - http://www.canoe-england.org.uk/our-sport/where-to-paddle/mersey-trail/ - and there have been fairly regular paddles by canoeist under Mersey way.  If you feel adventurous you can paddle all the way down from New Mills although you have to portage round some weirs noticeably near the Roman Lakes and Otterspool.

Duke Fame

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 12:14:07 PM »
One other thing. A few years ago 'canoe length' steps were built down the river bank near to where the road from Portwood Roundabout goes up to the top of Lancashire Hill and more steps over near the Pyramid. Canoe clubs regularly paddle down the River Mersey beneath Merseyway to Sale Water Park and beyond. Try walking (or cycling) along the River Mersey from Stockport Town Centre (the river path starts at the bottom of Heaton Lane). It is an extremely pleasant walk) or even you feel even more adventurous about discovering hidden gems in Stockport and places you never knew were there pick up the Walkaday programme at the library for easy afternoon led walks.

Interesting MR, I still think the exposing of the river is a better solution now even if it's a bit deeper than I thought. Canoe steps in the centre as a focus for the retail area would work. Stockport council need to accept they have far too much ugly retail supply and the more they have that is empty makes the play seem unloved.

marplerambler

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 01:30:44 PM »
One other thing. A few years ago 'canoe length' steps were built down the river bank near to where the road from Portwood Roundabout goes up to the top of Lancashire Hill and more steps over near the Pyramid. Canoe clubs regularly paddle down the River Mersey beneath Merseyway to Sale Water Park and beyond. Try walking (or cycling) along the River Mersey from Stockport Town Centre (the river path starts at the bottom of Heaton Lane). It is an extremely pleasant walk) or even you feel even more adventurous about discovering hidden gems in Stockport and places you never knew were there pick up the Walkaday programme at the library for easy afternoon led walks.

marplerambler

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 01:05:11 PM »
So the paved bit has covered the river since WWII? or later?

As an outsider, finding out there was a river under the carbuncle seemed the most stupid thing ever. I suppose in industrial Stockport, the river was effectively an open sewer and long since been the river that bought wealth.

I wonder how much it would cost to remove the concrete cover and make the river the focal point and a pleasant leisure / park /retail experience. The Red Rock idea condemns Mersey way to death so the best solution would be to get rid now.

Just sticking to the history of Merseyway for the time being google Stockport Image Archive and type in a search for Merseyway (sorry the images don't seem to be transferrable). An image from the 1930s shows the old layout of Mersey Square prior to the construction of Merseyway and Merseyway as a road in 1949 is shown in one of the photographs. If you look at the river from the bus station you will get an idea of just how deep the river gorge through central Stockport is. The idea of riverside cafes sounds like a great idea now that the river is fairly clean. Unfortunately, the gorge is just too deep.

At the time of the construction of the motorway through Stockport, the very last section to be cut out was the A6 Wellington Road North by Wellesley House. There was a huge plague of rats which had been living in the red rocks.  When the final section of solid rocks to be cut out was beneath the A6 the rats from the whole cave systems in the red rocks fled but although the rats could smell the river they couldn't find it . There were rats everywhere on the Great Edgerton St car parks, Princess St and Merseyway shopping precinct at 8.00am. My father went through the bus station at about 6am and there were thousands of them committing mass hari-kari pouring through the railings from the bus station and the bear pit to fall to their death in the gorge.

Duke Fame

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 10:33:14 PM »
I just remember the open river with the bridge across that lead up to redmans the grocers .thers some pictures someware on a website .could be stockport website

So the paved bit has covered the river since WWII? or later?

As an outsider, finding out there was a river under the carbuncle seemed the most stupid thing ever. I suppose in industrial Stockport, the river was effectively an open sewer and long since been the river that bought wealth.

I wonder how much it would cost to remove the concrete cover and make the river the focal point and a pleasant leisure / park /retail experience. The Red Rock idea condemns Mersey way to death so the best solution would be to get rid now.

Mersey way along with the A6 corridor up to the town hall is why Stockport has such a bad image. The Old Town is attractive but hiden and it's hard to see beyond the ugly 60's architecture and 70's corporation vacated office blocks. 

amazon

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 08:25:56 PM »
The original reason for the construction of the original Merseyway was that it was a road which could take traffic from the east into the centre of Stockport, constructed as an alternative taking the traffic from Princes St when it was one of the main shopping streets in Stockport.  When I was a lad the entrances to BHS, Woolworths, Marks & Spencer were on Princes St only. The Merseyway side was a road with adjacent pavements which did not stretch quite across to the rear brick walls of the stores and from the gap came the roar of the river and its evil stench. It was a foul stretch full of sewage and pollutants and covered in foam. The best thing was to hide it and cover it over completely to prevent the stink escaping upwards. It was only when Great Edgerton Street was constructed as the main through traffic route that the river was paved over, new frontages were put onto the Merseyway side of the Princes Street stores. The covered area was built on the site of the old bus depot and fire station. It seemed great in the 1960s but it is now well past its best by date.

I just remember the open river with the bridge across that lead up to redmans the grocers .thers some pictures someware on a website .could be stockport website

marplerambler

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 05:11:58 PM »
Mersey Way was a stupid idea in the first place, Stockport exists due to it's river and geography, why anyone would then decide to concrete it over is beyond me.

The original reason for the construction of the original Merseyway was that it was a road which could take traffic from the east into the centre of Stockport, constructed as an alternative taking the traffic from Princes St when it was one of the main shopping streets in Stockport.  When I was a lad the entrances to BHS, Woolworths, Marks & Spencer were on Princes St only. The Merseyway side was a road with adjacent pavements which did not stretch quite across to the rear brick walls of the stores and from the gap came the roar of the river and its evil stench. It was a foul stretch full of sewage and pollutants and covered in foam. The best thing was to hide it and cover it over completely to prevent the stink escaping upwards. It was only when Great Edgerton Street was constructed as the main through traffic route that the river was paved over, new frontages were put onto the Merseyway side of the Princes Street stores. The covered area was built on the site of the old bus depot and fire station. It seemed great in the 1960s but it is now well past its best by date.

Duke Fame

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 01:02:52 PM »
But Duke what has Mersey Way got to do with the Local Authority its a private development on private land just as the Peel Centre is?

It is, it's in administration and one of the biggest holes in RBS' books.

I understand that SMBC has propped things up and bought what is considers key units (really means they are scared for big shops to leave) such as Debenhams etc.