Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Marple civic society website  (Read 3417 times)

CTCREP

Re: Marple civic society website
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 06:12:20 PM »
Just a couple of corrections to the above note. There are in fact two residences that need to use Rollins Lane for vehicular access, Water-meetings House at the bottom of the track, and. as far as I am aware, the house adjacent to the Iron Bridge in Brabyns Park as they are not allowed to have vehicular access to their house via the park. There are also two houses at the top of the track who, in a public spirited way, use it to park their cars in their back gardens rather than on the road as many on Compstall Road do. There are occasional football players and dog walkers who also drive down to access Brabyns Park so in this instance it is not tractors or horse boxes that cause the damage.  I recognise the chance that there could be fly tipping but as the lane is easily accessible by vehicle already I see no reason why it should it should occur just because the surface has been upgraded.

I certainly regret the passing of the Cycle Shop many years ago. At roughly the same time the Council had a workshop near the tip area.The workshop had been closed down and it would have been ideal for a Cycle Shop and Hire facility if only the Middlewood Way’s surface had been suitable for the purpose - I was once dismayed to see a young couple trying to get the mud off their child’s tricycle before putting it in their car with what was left in their water bottle. The Hire facility could also have served teas and coffees.  Much head banging may have finally got the Council to do something about the Middlewood Way but it is still far from perfect. At the time I did a brief survey of cyclists using the Middlewood Way, besides a few locals there was a couple from Barnsley, two more from Sandbach, another couple from Northwich, and even a couple from Essex whose interest was to ride as many Off-Road routes they could get to. They had come to Derbyshire to ride the Tissington Trail etc, saw a reference to the Middlewood Way and so came across to Macclesfield. They were on their way back having got to Rosehill, saw the Council’s Refuse Tip and immediately turned back. If ever there was an example for a need for an Information Board at Rosehill that was it.

marplerambler

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 12:54:10 PM »
The Civic Society were considering having a Notice Board in the Town Centre but decided it would probably be difficult to maintain. Assuming they have the money and even the will for one, then why not make it an Information Board at Rosehill that would benefit Marple businesses as well as those visiting the area. Note that although the visitors may gain some pleasure, it is the businesses that would gain financially and hopefully Marple would have a few less closed shops.

As to my reputation, I suppose I am willing to bang my head against a brick wall until it cracks. For example - my other "wall" - Rollins Lane -  is now possibly beginning to crack with Stockport's Greenspace Manager saying "As an update on the repairs to Rollins Lane I have now asked a Highways Asset Management Officer whether he can programme in repairs this financial year. I’ll let you know what he comes back with… hopefully though you’ll see improvements along there shortly."

So from being told that "its not our job" by two Council Departments, and our local Councillor saying "Stockport will never upgrade Rollins Lane", things may improve. We need to keep reminding them of their duty to cater for their Council Tax payers until, with the help of everyone else, my irritating little pinpricks become a sledgehammer, and we can make Marple somewhere to be proud of.

O how the road to hell is paved with good intentions! Will it not sink in that Stockport MBC are not going to pay to put a new roof on your house nor can they justify building a new road for the owners of adjacent fields who need vehicular access via Rollins Lane or bikers who want a smoother ride. I walked down there to check it out a couple of days ago, there was a bit of a hole and puddle at the point you photographed but big deal, it was absolutely fine: your hole in the road had considerably less water in it and you simply walk around it. 

This hole has not been created by walkers, cyclists or horses. It is important that the Council and Councillors remain aware that it is not the responsibility of you or I or any of the Council Tax payers to renovate a private road which can be used only by drivers of vehicles who have a specific right of access in their property deeds and that those who are committing an act of trespass by driving on the track can be sued.   This pothole has been created by tractors, small trucks, four wheel drives pulling half a ton of horse in a horse box to and from the fields.

There are no properties on Rollins Lane which are accessed by this track, and the only vehicles on it, those gaining access to the adjacent fields are responsible for the pot hole. The land owner is almost certainly going to be opposed by a significant improvement in the track because he knows that the only vehicle owners getting down this lane at the moment are those accessing the field. Renovate this track significantly and hefty mountains of dumped tyres and fridges will start to appear overnight (as residents adjacent to the Middlewood Way Wood Lane car park and Bongs Lane know only too well) and the horses will start to disappear. The route may not always be suitable for toddler’s bikes but it is sometimes in everybody’s interest to sometimes allow a route to exist in a less than perfect state.

At the same time you speak such common sense about a notice board at the Rose Hill end of the Middlewood Way. When I saw that renovation of the closed shop at Rose Hill was taking place I was really hoping that it would be a café to cater for those who cycle to Rose Hill from Macclesfield. In fact the premises became a hairdressers. At the moment the Rose Hill entrance to the Middlewood Way could not be more unwelcoming. A council tip to the right and a white van surrounded by and spewing scrap all around the car park and pavement running a rent and rate free business.

When I cycle to Macclesfield and back I usually stay on the bike to the main shopping street into Macclesfield for a cuppa but this doesn’t happen at our end. What a shame that the Friends of Rose Hill Station cannot put  a mobile caravan to replace the scrap van and sell tea and coffee and products from the allotment to raise money for the great work they do at the station and remove a real carbuncle at the same time. Get people to dismount at this point and they would have a closer look at the notice board you propose. There did use to be a super carved sign at Middlewood Way sign at Rose Hill (a duplicate is at Wood Lane) but this vanished a few years ago.

I think that you have just missed the boat with this proposal: this would have been a low-cost but high profile photo opportunity for grinning LibDem Councillors and Lisa Smart telling us all just how much they care about the community in all of the rubbish they are currently feeding through our letterboxes and that it is just an unfortunate coincidence that the LibDem/Conservative government has considerably reduced its support to our rail network and more specifically to a Rose Hill station station on our foreign owned rail network resulting in the massive hike in rail fares for travellers and if yesterday’s news is anything to go by the crummy Pacer trains being retained on shorter routes (ie Manchester to Rose Hill) until the 2020s.

CTCREP

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 10:17:52 AM »
At the risk of more repetition I realise that linking my wish for an Information Board at Rosehill with that of the Civic Society Board could cause some confusion. I assumed the Society’s Board would be a print-out of latest developments etc, that needs to be kept up to date, and probably the need for reading glasses for many of those who tried to make use of it. I can understand their reluctance to follow the idea through. What is required at Rosehill is similar in design to the photo I have attached. On the Continent you will see such boards at the entrance to many towns and villages. They are attractive and show visitors what can be seen and done in the area and make you want to linger longer. We need everyone with an interest in improving Marple to get together on each others projects. For example, the Rail enthusiasts want to get more trains into Rosehill. I know it is a long shot but in the 1930’s, at the weekend, thousands of cyclists were transported from the centre of London into the countryside by train. OK, we might not get thousands, but why not encourage Manchester cyclists and others to come to Marple to enjoy the countryside and facilities around here by showing them what is available. The Archeological Society is doing tremendous work down by Roman Lakes, but who, other than a few local ramblers, know of its existence. Chadkirk Chapel the same.

Some time ago, and after much pestering, the Council finally created such an Information Board.  I had sent in a rough sketch and suggested the Council contact local Societies such as the Ramblers, the Historical and Canal Societies etc, etc, and to make use of the skills of Cheadle & Marple College students to create an attractive board. I had in mind one similar to the one in the photo, it is from a little village in Herefordshire - surely Marple can do as well as that. The one the Council produced was virtually a copy of my rough sketch - you can se it in the Memorial Park, if anyone other than Marple residents knows where that is. Obviously there was no attempt to contact people who have knowledge of the area or to show visitors how to get to the many attractions in our area.

Some may say “Why not do it yourself”. Well I am sure that would be the Council’s response and then they can continue wasting my Council Tax Money on  Self Advertising Corporate Notice Boards in all our parks and other useless schemes. And what do I get out of it? Hopefully a more attractive Marple, but practically nothing for me personally.  I already know where the Roman Lakes are, as well as the Aqueduct, the flight of Locks and the cafes, pubs and shops etc etc, but do our potential visitors, and more importantly does Stockport Council?

[attachment deleted by admin]

CTCREP

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 02:14:05 AM »
Similarly Wheels, I think you misunderstood mine. The Civic Society were considering having a Notice Board in the Town Centre but decided it would probably be difficult to maintain. Assuming they have the money and even the will for one, then why not make it an Information Board at Rosehill that would benefit Marple businesses as well as those visiting the area. Note that although the visitors may gain some pleasure, it is the businesses that would gain financially and hopefully Marple would have a few less closed shops.

As to my reputation, I suppose I am willing to bang my head against a brick wall until it cracks. For example - my other "wall" - Rollins Lane -  is now possibly beginning to crack with Stockport's Greenspace Manager saying "As an update on the repairs to Rollins Lane I have now asked a Highways Asset Management Officer whether he can programme in repairs this financial year. I’ll let you know what he comes back with… hopefully though you’ll see improvements along there shortly."

So from being told that "its not our job" by two Council Departments, and our local Councillor saying "Stockport will never upgrade Rollins Lane", things may improve. We need to keep reminding them of their duty to cater for their Council Tax payers until, with the help of everyone else, my irritating little pinpricks become a sledgehammer, and we can make Marple somewhere to be proud of.

wheels

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 04:36:14 PM »
I think you misunderstand my point if people genuinely think your idea is wrong endlessly repeating it will not convince anyone you either have to provide evidence other than "I think its a good idea" or look to understand why your proposal is ignored. Clearly currently your not winning people over to you case now that's because they area bunch of people with evil intent who want to do all they can to undermine the Marple shopping area or you have failed to convince anyone that its a good idea because its not.

I have no view either way I just don't think saying the same thing continually and saying if only they would listen to me is a useful way forward.

CTCREP

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 03:41:47 PM »
Hello Wheels.  I am sure there will be people who think advertising the attractions and businesses in Marple is wrong, someone always does, but in this case it is Stockport Council who get involved in the Portas  organisation hoping to rejuvenate Stockport, and will spend thousands of pounds on useless Self Advertising notice boards in all our parks etc, and yet do nothing to advertise Marple and its businesses and Stockport Council's own attractions such as Chadkirk and Etherow Country Park. Would you rather support them or my very inexpensive proposal that just might save some of our shops and cafes from closing down?

wheels

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 01:09:42 PM »
I note from the minutes that the Civic Society discussed having a Society Notice Board in the town centre. Although I agree with their conclusion that there would be problems with keeping such a board tidy and up to date, I am of the opinion that a general Information Board, detailing the attractions of Marple etc, should be placed at the end of the Middlewood Way at Rosehill.At present most people arriving at Rosehill immediately turn away from Marple. Encouraging them to visit some of the cafes and attractions would help Marple. Perhaps the Society should consider this. I should say I have been saying this to local Councillors the Council and several others for years but nobody seems to think promoting Marple is of any benefit. Perhaps the Civic Society can do better.

You have made this point main times over the years and I think you have to accept that there is a difference between people just not doing what you suggest and not doing it because they think your wrong which I understadn might be the case

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 05:22:07 PM »
I note from the minutes that the Civic Society discussed having a Society Notice Board in the town centre. Although I agree with their conclusion that there would be problems with keeping such a board tidy and up to date, I am of the opinion that a general Information Board, detailing the attractions of Marple etc, should be placed at the end of the Middlewood Way at Rosehill.At present most people arriving at Rosehill immediately turn away from Marple. Encouraging them to visit some of the cafes and attractions would help Marple. Perhaps the Society should consider this. I should say I have been saying this to local Councillors the Council and several others for years but nobody seems to think promoting Marple is of any benefit. Perhaps the Civic Society can do better.
Good Idea!

CTCREP

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 05:09:18 PM »

Howard

amazon

Marple civic society website
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 04:31:32 PM »
The minutes from there meeting are on the website  interesting re coop ASDA , car park .