RC Cars, RC Helicopters, RC Planes | Nitrotek Ltd

Author Topic: Schools Open / Closed Today  (Read 3924 times)

simonesaffron

Re: Schools Open / Closed Today
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 08:43:10 AM »
Common sense usually

Many moons ago when I was a student teacher one of my teaching practices was in a village on the edge of the Brecon Beacons. The snow was so bad that walking to school this (then) 5'8" woman was ploughing her way through almost waist high snow. When I got to school we had an almost full complement of children and staff despite some of them coming from outside the village and the bus unable to get through. One mother walked 3 miles through the snow, leading her 6 year old on the family pony to get the child to school on time. She then walked the 3 miles home, repeating the double journey at home time.

Tell that to the kids today and they wouldn't believe you!

sgk

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 10:52:57 PM »
All information should be confirmed with schools for latest info but the word is:

Marple Hall - Closed.
Ludworth - Open.
Brabyns Prep - Open.
Rosehill - Closed.

Ludworth closed Tuesday 3rd February.  Broken heating system.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 08:34:15 PM »
Do you know the criteria that a school uses to determine whether it can be opened or not?
Common sense usually

Many moons ago when I was a student teacher one of my teaching practices was in a village on the edge of the Brecon Beacons. The snow was so bad that walking to school this (then) 5'8" woman was ploughing her way through almost waist high snow. When I got to school we had an almost full complement of children and staff despite some of them coming from outside the village and the bus unable to get through. One mother walked 3 miles through the snow, leading her 6 year old on the family pony to get the child to school on time. She then walked the 3 miles home, repeating the double journey at home time.

And then they whine about 4" of snow in a small town like Marple!

marpleexile

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 03:57:39 PM »
Whether a school opens or not has absolutely nothing to do with catchment area or children getting in.

AIUI it's generally related to whether enough staff have been able to get in.

Gone are the days of most of the staff also living within walking distance of the school they teach at.

amazon

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 02:37:16 PM »
Brabyns Prep isn't a state school - but it appears to have a "can do" attitude that some much larger state schools would do well to emulate.

Clearly one or two children (and staff) coming from the wilds of Derbyshire might have difficulty getting in, but the vast majority should manage. None of Marple's primary schools and not many of the local secondary schools have huge catchment areas. And please let's not hear about the "slippery pavements around the school".

Bring back the olden days when snow was proper and children made school no closing schools then .
Wimps these days .used to grit the roads with sinders from back of a lorry .

Harry

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 02:07:41 PM »
Brabyns Prep isn't a state school - but it appears to have a "can do" attitude that some much larger state schools would do well to emulate.

Clearly one or two children (and staff) coming from the wilds of Derbyshire might have difficulty getting in, but the vast majority should manage. None of Marple's primary schools and not many of the local secondary schools have huge catchment areas. And please let's not hear about the "slippery pavements around the school".

Whether a school opens or not has absolutely nothing to do with catchment area or children getting in.

hollins

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 01:44:44 PM »

Harry

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 01:00:29 PM »
What a stupid and ill thought out statement. They are offering to take about 1500 pupils from Marple Hall and another 500 from Rosehill, plus more. I think they should have included some caveats in there.

Lily

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 12:52:57 PM »
What a lovely offer made by Brabyns.
Well done to them.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 12:45:12 PM »
There are times when I believe we should be judging schools not by their position in league tables but by whether they open in snowy periods. Now I'll wait for the health and safety brigade to come up with the usual list of excuses ...

In that case have a read of this offer from one of our local schools:

http://www.brabynsprepschool.co.uk/news/2015/1/30/school-open-friday-30-january.html
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Harry

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 10:18:51 AM »
There are times when I believe we should be judging schools not by their position in league tables but by whether they open in snowy periods. Now I'll wait for the health and safety brigade to come up with the usual list of excuses ...

Do you know the criteria that a school uses to determine whether it can be opened or not?

hollins

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 10:03:30 AM »

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Schools Open / Closed Today
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 08:00:39 AM »
All information should be confirmed with schools for latest info but the word is:

Marple Hall - Closed.

Ludworth - Open.

Brabyns Prep - Open.

Rosehill - Closed.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website