Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Horseriders attempt to destroy Chadkirk Chapel grounds  (Read 11311 times)

Dave

Re: Horseriders attempt to destroy Chadkirk Chapel grounds
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2015, 03:20:38 PM »
Side-saddle eh - you don't see that very often! I'll look out for you, Henrietta - and I definitely won't wave and shout.  :D

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2015, 02:21:04 PM »
That's so weird.  Have you any idea why these people do it?  And why they don't do it when I'm around!
Some people think it's OK to approach horses without asking if it's safe to do so, often allowing toddlers to rush over to the nice horse-y. Then they get angry when the horse mistakes the feel of a finger in its mouth for a sliver of carrot! Other people think horses shouldn't be allowed and I've been sworn at just for being there, and I've had people chasing me waving scarves, flapping jackets and once with a stick and I've also had someone opening and shutting an umbrella repeatedly 3 feet in front of the horse I was riding. Fortunately, that's part of the normal schooling for young horses but horses are "flight" animals and many will often take off in a panic when frightened, causing possible danger to innocent by-standers.

I'm lucky with my boy in that he's very sensible. We've known each other for nearly 20 years and he takes his lead from me when frightening things happen around him but 1/2 a ton of muscle and bone with metal-shod feet and big teeth is not to be trifled with! And neither is this old rat-bag. However, should you come across an elderly lady riding a big chestnut horse side saddle do come and make yourself known to both of us. We do like people.

Duke Fame

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2015, 01:57:01 PM »
That's so weird.  Have you any idea why these people do it?  And why they don't do it when I'm around!

Not that weird,
You don't ride a horse though Dave. People are hardly going to wave at you.

Dave

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2015, 09:01:31 AM »

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2015, 11:31:02 PM »
Henrietta, I apologise for my sweeping generalisation, your posts were indeed generally rational and fair, although even you fell in to the trap of using as an example of walkers' behaviour a one-off freak incident:
I don't doubt that it has happened, but I've been walking the bridleways of the Goyt Valley for thirty years, and I have never seen such a thing.  Why on earth would anyone do that unless they were suffering from some form of mental illness?  In which case they need sympathy rather than criticism!
Certainly NOT a "one-off freak incident". You would be surprised how often it has happened to me.

You may have "been walking the bridleways of the Goyt Valley for thirty years, and I have never seen such a thing" but I've been riding all over Britain and abroad for 60 years and I can assure you that I have - with more frequency than I care to remember!

Dave

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2015, 05:00:30 PM »
I agree, Emmy Jane - the majority of mountain bikers (i.e. cyclists) are considerate and responsible.  If there's a problem it's with the illegal motorcyclists.  The dog and I met a group of about six on a bridleway only this afternoon.  They were going too fast, but that's not the issue - they should not have been there at all!

Police advice is to take their number plates and report them - but they only have one tiny number plate, on the back, and (surprise surprise) you can't read it because it's covered with mud!    >:(

EmmyJane Designs

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2015, 04:35:37 PM »
I think you were very unlucky marplerambler in your encounter.
Not making an excuse here but the mtbiker you came across could be a tourist, as I have never in my my years witnessed this kind of behaviour from locals or any of the Peak District  riders I know.

Duke Fame

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2015, 08:00:26 AM »
My post was in answer to your post but my remarks, especially this one, were made generally to anyone who has an axe to grind.

Well said my login.

I must admit I'm surprised that tow paths are not for horses, I thought that's why they were made.

Duke Fame

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2015, 07:53:25 AM »
Henrietta, I apologise for my sweeping generalisation, your posts were indeed generally rational and fair, although even you fell in to the trap of using as an example of walkers' behaviour a one-off freak incident:
I don't doubt that it has happened, but I've been walking the bridleways of the Goyt Valley for thirty years, and I have never seen such a thing.  Why on earth would anyone do that unless they were suffering from some form of mental illness?  In which case they need sympathy rather than criticism!

You don't ride a horse though Dave. People are hardly going to wave at you.

Dave

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2015, 05:00:53 PM »
  Walkers should not rush up to horses waving their arms and shouting (I promise you, this happens)

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2015, 04:24:25 PM »
Well said Emmy Jane.  This thread is a bit sad, with its walkers and cyclists and horse-riders hurling accusations and counter accusations at one another, based on isolated and entirely untypical experiences, such as that of Marplerambler above.

I know the bridleways of this area very well - I walk my dog daily in the Goyt Valley and the surrounding area.  99% of the time there is no problem between the various different users of the bridleways - we all get on fine, and behave considerately towards one another. Occasionally there might be a cyclist or group of cyclists going a bit too fast, but most of them are sensible and considerate. We shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush, just because of a small minority of anti-social cyclists.
As the only horse-rider (apart from Emma Jane) around here, I am quite surprised to hear that I have been "hurling accusations and counter accusations ..... based on isolated and entirely untypical experiences" when I was trying to be quite rational and fair.

Dave

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2015, 10:06:32 AM »
We live in an overpopulated country and the countryside is for the enjoyment of all.  We must be tolerant of each other.

Well said Emmy Jane.  This thread is a bit sad, with its walkers and cyclists and horse-riders hurling accusations and counter accusations at one another, based on isolated and entirely untypical experiences, such as that of Marplerambler above.

I know the bridleways of this area very well - I walk my dog daily in the Goyt Valley and the surrounding area.  99% of the time there is no problem between the various different users of the bridleways - we all get on fine, and behave considerately towards one another. Occasionally there might be a cyclist or group of cyclists going a bit too fast, but most of them are sensible and considerate. We shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush, just because of a small minority of anti-social cyclists.   

marplerambler

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2015, 11:27:32 PM »
No mtber is purposely going to go out to kill or injure a rambler or horse rider, or any other user of the countryside.

During the summer I was walking down a steep descent, ears blocked up with wax and daydreaming when one of my friends quite suddenly began to drag me off the narrow public bridleway and a fraction of a second later a speeding mountain biker crashed hard into my right arm, sent me flying, nearly crashed but just about stayed on his bike, screamed seven letter word seven letter word (which I heard only too clearly despite the blocked ears) as he careered down the hill and his group of friends were behind and all sped past at high speed way too close to be able to brake had he come off his bike.

He had not set out to kill or injure a rambler. What he had not anticipated was that I did not hear him coming and he was going way too fast to brake. I very simply did not hear him shouting that we get out of the way and he made no attempt to break because he assumed that I would hear him.

We were both very fortunate not to suffer serious injury.

EmmyJane Designs

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 06:05:39 PM »
Marplerambler - As a person who owned a horse and rode frequently in the past, a car driver, a rambler and now first and foremost a mountain biker, I can see that you have typically (for a walker) got upset at the use of mtbikes on bridleways.

Yes there will always be the few who think it's their God given right to behave how they like. This I have found (as Henrietta mentions above) in all users of our countryside.

It will amaze you to know that  mtbiking is a popular and huge participant sport in and around Marple and that 90% of us are walkers too (a fair few ride horses).  Around this area, mainly up and around the Roman Lakes we all get on and are polite. No mtber is purposely going to go out to kill or injure a rambler or horse rider, or any other user of the countryside.

We live in an overpopulated country and the countryside is for the enjoyment of all. The very fact that people are going out and getting off their backsides to participate in an activity is only a good thing. We must be tolerant of each other.

I have never had a problem out rambling with mtbikers, in fact I would say the majority of grumpy people I come across are walkers. But this is another matter.

Personally I think a new bridleway would be a great thing for Chadkirk. The more horse riders, cyclists and walkers we get out into our beautiful countryside to enjoy it the better. Also out of cars and taking part in activities.

marplerambler

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 05:46:49 PM »
First of all most 'public footpaths' along the canals are not public rights of way. The Canal & River Trust refer to the towpaths as 'permissive paths' where they allow members of the public to walk along them, but reserve the right to withdraw such facility.

I am unsure also how you arrive at the illegality of cyclists on the towpath along the canal.

To quote the Canal & River Trust 'Our cherished network of 2,000 miles of canals and rivers flows through the most beautiful countryside and vibrant cities that England and Wales have to offer.

Your statement that 'most public footpaths along canals' are not rights of way may or may not be correct when considering all paths at the side of canals in Britain: the Canal Trust would be able to verify that information but it certainly isn't true in the context of the Peak Forest and Macclesfield Canals in Marple and no sections of canal towpath in Stockport MBC have a legal status of 'permissive highway'.

The legal documents describing and mapping public rights of way in Stockport are the Stockport MBC Definitive Map and Statement of Public Rights of Way. The    entire length of the Macclesfield Canal Peak Forest Canal from the Cheshire/Stockport MBC boundary near Middlewood to the intersection with the Peak Forest Canal and the entire length of the Peak Forest Canal from the Borough boundary west of Strines to the  Tameside MBC boundary (with the exception of a short section between Gilbert Bank and Redhouse Lane, Woodley)  are recorded on the Definitive Map and Statement for Stockport MBC as having the legal status of a public footpath. Pedestrian usage only is permitted. These are not 'permissive' paths as is stated by Prestbury: these are legal highways along which the pedestrian has a legal right of passage and should this passage be obstructed the local authority has a statutory obligation to take legal proceedings against the landowner to ensure obstructions are removed.

Horses and cycles commit an act of trespass against the landowner when using these public footpaths but please remember that there will be provision for usage by horses towing barges within the appropriate Canal Act. The landowner, if he wishes to do so may give his express permission for horses or cycles to cross his land. It does also sometimes happen that a landowner adjacent to the canal has provision within his property deeds allowing access his land by vehicle, horse, cycle or on foot via the towpath.