To advertise on this site

Author Topic: The Spring Gardens  (Read 26141 times)

amazon

Re: The Spring Gardens
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2018, 08:09:49 PM »
Spring Gardens has now been removed from Rightmove.  So either sold or withdrawn.
His partner has paid him out .his partner is a she .so it stays for now .

andrewbowden

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2018, 09:23:52 AM »
Spring Gardens has now been removed from Rightmove.  So either sold or withdrawn.

amazon

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2018, 03:18:51 PM »
Cafe part.  To quote the shareholder newsletter:

"We showed our plans for an extension and a café at the shareholders get together and we’re progressing the possibilities by seeing what finance might be available. We’ll present further plans along with finance options for shareholder approval in a future meeting."

So yeah, it may not happen.  The finance may not fall into place.  The shareholders may reject the proposals.    But you know what?  It also MIGHT happen.  The finance may fall into place.  The shareholders may be very happy with it.

And as for too many bosses... Well that's the element of a community pub with many shareholders, many of whom will consider that as they are are owners their view is most important.  A manager needs - in some respects - to manage the shareholders (and to some extent Directors) and their expectations!
Agree hope it does happen .i was in Woodley last week having been born bread in woodley they now have a comunity cafe on the precint it was very busy allso have a computer group for older people it would be nice if that could happen at the thumb computer part as well .

andrewbowden

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2018, 03:05:56 PM »
The thumb there are to many bosses at the thumb one of the ladies that ran it has left .the cafe part may not hapen .

Cafe part.  To quote the shareholder newsletter:

"We showed our plans for an extension and a café at the shareholders get together and we’re progressing the possibilities by seeing what finance might be available. We’ll present further plans along with finance options for shareholder approval in a future meeting."

So yeah, it may not happen.  The finance may not fall into place.  The shareholders may reject the proposals.    But you know what?  It also MIGHT happen.  The finance may fall into place.  The shareholders may be very happy with it.

And as for too many bosses... Well that's the element of a community pub with many shareholders, many of whom will consider that as they are are owners their view is most important.  A manager needs - in some respects - to manage the shareholders (and to some extent Directors) and their expectations!

amazon

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2018, 02:34:03 PM »
The Thumb sent out a newsletter to shareholders this week (after Amazon's comment by coincidence).

There isn't minute detail of the financials, but to quote from the opening paragraph: "Our sales figures are above what the pub was doing last year for the same period, which really is a fantastic start!"

I am going to assume the period they're comparing did not include after the pub's closure ;)

As also mentioned by Amazon, the owners of the Spring Gardens (and of Fool Hardy ales and of the Hope Inn) were a couple. 

As they stated on Twitter and Facebook in January:

"Yes, me & Sam have split up, the reason for this post is because I am already fed up of hearing rumours! We will still be working together for the sake of the business and staying friends! On that cheery note, happy new year!"
https://twitter.com/foolhardyales/status/948640989543092226

Maybe that's a factor.  Maybe it's not.  It happened quite soon after the split - maybe that's a factor.  Who knows?  Well, someone does but it's not me.

I do severely doubt it's related to the Thumb.  The two pubs co-existed previously, and sensible heads wouldn't make rash judgements on sales based on the latter re-opening for a relatively short period of time.
The thumb there are to many bosses at the thumb one of the ladies that ran it has left .the cafe part may not hapen .

andrewbowden

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2018, 11:51:35 AM »
Exactly what i was going to ask.

The Thumb sent out a newsletter to shareholders this week (after Amazon's comment by coincidence).

There isn't minute detail of the financials, but to quote from the opening paragraph: "Our sales figures are above what the pub was doing last year for the same period, which really is a fantastic start!"

I am going to assume the period they're comparing did not include after the pub's closure ;)

As also mentioned by Amazon, the owners of the Spring Gardens (and of Fool Hardy ales and of the Hope Inn) were a couple. 

As they stated on Twitter and Facebook in January:

"Yes, me & Sam have split up, the reason for this post is because I am already fed up of hearing rumours! We will still be working together for the sake of the business and staying friends! On that cheery note, happy new year!"
https://twitter.com/foolhardyales/status/948640989543092226

Maybe that's a factor.  Maybe it's not.  It happened quite soon after the split - maybe that's a factor.  Who knows?  Well, someone does but it's not me.

I do severely doubt it's related to the Thumb.  The two pubs co-existed previously, and sensible heads wouldn't make rash judgements on sales based on the latter re-opening for a relatively short period of time. 

corium

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2018, 11:16:47 AM »
How do you know the Thumb isnt doing all that well ?

Exactly what i was going to ask.

ROTHERS

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2018, 11:05:34 AM »
They have split up .nothing to do with the thumb opening .the thumb is not doing all that well either .
How do you know the Thumb isnt doing all that well ?

amazon

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2018, 02:14:31 PM »
I would say don't jump to conclusions without knowing the full story.   There could be allsorts of reasons for selling.  Perhaps they need the money for other investment for example.  Maybe they aren't able to commit enough time to make it reach its potential. Or maybe the owners just want to reduce their workload a little.

People sell businesses for all sorts of reasons.
They have split up .nothing to do with the thumb opening .the thumb is not doing all that well either .

andrewbowden

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2018, 10:05:25 PM »
I would say don't jump to conclusions without knowing the full story.   There could be allsorts of reasons for selling.  Perhaps they need the money for other investment for example.  Maybe they aren't able to commit enough time to make it reach its potential. Or maybe the owners just want to reduce their workload a little.

People sell businesses for all sorts of reasons.

corium

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2018, 06:36:37 PM »
I suspect the Northumberland Arms reopening has been the last straw. It was never very busy but recent times I have been past/ in it has been really quiet. It seems to provoke some real hostility in some Compstall residents I know though I'm not sure why. I know in the early days there were some moans on this forum but other than some inconsistent beer standards in the Foolhardy offerings I've had no complaints

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2018, 06:09:51 PM »
I assume this means it's not worked out for Fool Hardy Ales at the Spring Gardens.

A real shame, have enjoyed our visits there, the beer has been great, wish it was closer to Marple town centre!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-63771637.html
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2017, 05:40:26 PM »
Been to the Spring Gardens several times since it reopened last year and have really enjoyed the beer.

Got around to eating in there for the first time at lunchtime today with Mrs Admin, the food was excellent and the service was very good too.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2016, 03:46:33 PM »
I received a flyer through the door the other day, which I've been happy to upload and reproduce below (I should probably add that I don't have any connection to The Spring Gardens, just an appreciation of their fine ales).

"Beer Emporium & Eatery" - For goodness sake - it's a pub serving food.

barndoor

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2016, 07:32:13 PM »
I received a flyer through the door the other day, which I've been happy to upload and reproduce below (I should probably add that I don't have any connection to The Spring Gardens, just an appreciation of their fine ales).