Wealth Management | S&T Wealth provide portfolio & investment advice

Author Topic: Magpies & Monkey Nuts  (Read 4148 times)

sgk

Re: Magpies & Monkey Nuts
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 08:38:58 PM »
As I understand it, the killing of grey squirrels is acceptable if done in a quick and humane manner.  A lady I used to walk with, had a special cage into which the grey was enticed and quickly drowned in the fast flowing stream of her garden. Her garden was large and at one point she was overrun with them and they got into the roof void.

Just for info: The Telegraph : What is the law on killing squirrels?
It is legal to kill grey squirrels and most people do it by trapping and shooting. But it must be done in a humane manner or you will be fined under animal welfare laws.
It is therefore illegal to kill a squirrel by drowning, asphyxiation or bludgeoning to death.

EmmyJane Designs

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 06:12:45 PM »
As I understand it, the killing of grey squirrels is acceptable if done in a quick and humane manner.  A lady I used to walk with, had a special cage into which the grey was enticed and quickly drowned in the fast flowing stream of her garden. Her garden was large and at one point she was overrun with them and they got into the roof void.

In the South Lakes, Cumbria, there is a telephone number to ring and someone will come round and humanely kill the squirrel on your behalf. This is not only in private places but also in local woods etc. They are so successful in this, that the reds are making a much wanted comeback.

There will be a debate about this is Parliament in the new year.  I think mass culling is the way forward.

Same as you Henrietta, the squirrels have done a lot of damage in our garden and constantly scare off the birds.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 05:15:10 PM »
We feed the birds all year round, as do the next door neighbours. This means we get an astonishing array of birds, up to 12 different species in a day. All good.
However (this may be controversial to some) I really do not like grey squirrels. They are known as tree rats in our family.
The red native squirrel has been driven out by the grey squirrel and in many Northern areas, such as The Lake District, Anglesey and Formby point the greys are culled.
The reds are fighting back and I desperately hope the day will come when red squirrels will be back again in Marple.
I was talking to a local farmer a few years ago and he last saw a red squirrel along the river Goyt, in the woods by the paper factory, Strines road in 1981.
So if possible don't feed them.
The law making it an offence to "harbour" grey squirrels on your property was repealed earlier this year as the squirrels were winning and the law was virtually unenforceable. We were supposed to report them to the authorities, which effectively meant the police who have more important things to do than arrest squirrels.

I'm with Emma Jane on the little beasties. I wish I'd known about that piece of legislation when it was in force and before the squirrels in my garden killed my laburnum tree. Laburnam obviously isn't poisonous to greys as they stripped it of bark.

A restaurant in London is doing its best in the fight against greys by serving it up for dinner. "The Hairy Bikers" featured a recipe on television but there were so many ingredients that the greys were nearly the list. I wonder if it's legal to shoot squirrels in the average suburban garden?

EmmyJane Designs

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 06:42:43 PM »
We feed the birds all year round, as do the next door neighbours. This means we get an astonishing array of birds, up to 12 different species in a day. All good.
However (this may be controversial to some) I really do not like grey squirrels. They are known as tree rats in our family.
The red native squirrel has been driven out by the grey squirrel and in many Northern areas, such as The Lake District, Anglesey and Formby point the greys are culled.
The reds are fighting back and I desperately hope the day will come when red squirrels will be back again in Marple.
I was talking to a local farmer a few years ago and he last saw a red squirrel along the river Goyt, in the woods by the paper factory, Strines road in 1981.
So if possible don't feed them.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 11:07:41 AM »
According to the RSPB, magpies, jays and coal tits will all bury food (and remember where they put it).

I had to stop feeding the birds in my garden for a while last year as a magpie (or possibly a pair) were attacking the smaller birds at the feeding station.

the rover

Magpies & Monkey Nuts
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 11:38:11 AM »
I put some Monkey Nuts in the garden yesterday, also on the bird table, these were for the Squirrels, seeds are put out for the birds. I then spent a good half hour watching a pair of Magpies collect every single Monkey Nut and either bury them in plant pots or put them on the ground and cover them over with leaves.
I have never seen this before, has anybody else observed Magpies doing this, are they storing them for the Winter the same as Squirrels do?