To advertise on this site

Author Topic: Litter Louts in Marple  (Read 3766 times)

My login is Henrietta

Re: Litter Louts in Marple
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 08:44:47 PM »
It's interesting that you should mention dropping cigarette butts. Imo people who do this don't consider it to be littering.
I asked an elderly chap to put his butt in the bin just yesterday, to which he replied 'it's non of your business'. He then put his foot on top of it, pummeling  into the ground, this act seemed to use up more energy than if he'd popped it in the nearby bin.
It is my business, I live in Marple, I happen to be a proud resident of Marple and would like it to be rat free (which will never happen) and tidy.

Things have got worse since Costa Coffee opened a few years ago. I cycle a lot and have seen their used cups in hedgerows as far away as Rowarth.

If everyone just asked the person  they see dropping /throwing their litter, to put in the bin, it would be help surely.
Good for you, especially re the cigarette stub. We should all be prepared to speak up.

EmmyJane Designs

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 08:15:44 PM »
It's interesting that you should mention dropping cigarette butts. Imo people who do this don't consider it to be littering.
I asked an elderly chap to put his butt in the bin just yesterday, to which he replied 'it's non of your business'. He then put his foot on top of it, pummeling  into the ground, this act seemed to use up more energy than if he'd popped it in the nearby bin.
It is my business, I live in Marple, I happen to be a proud resident of Marple and would like it to be rat free (which will never happen) and tidy.

Things have got worse since Costa Coffee opened a few years ago. I cycle a lot and have seen their used cups in hedgerows as far away as Rowarth.

If everyone just asked the person  they see dropping /throwing their litter, to put in the bin, it would be help surely.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 08:38:26 PM »
I find it very disappointing that Marple High School does not send out the children in groups to pick up the litter they have dropped, or have enough teachers on duty to control the children between Rose Hill Station  (and bus stops) on the way to and from the School.

We expect leading fast food companies to short out the litter their customers drops close to their outlets, so why not the school as well?

According to the legal advice given to us through the Union when I was teaching in Derbyshire and we were ordered er askedto supervise pupils at the bus stop off school premises at the end of the school day, there is an insurance issue involved and we were advised to refuse. This would probably apply to litter-picking in the street.

There's also the problem of knowing which individuals are "guilty". It would be very unfair to send out random groups to pick up litter which they weren't responsible for dropping in the first place.

I used to teach in a school in Essex where it was a hanging offence for a pupil to be caught eating in the street even on a non-school day, never mind dropping the toffee papers!!!

wheels

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 08:07:42 PM »
Litter also includes to 60 year old plus residents who throw fag ends on the floor doesn't it?

corium

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 07:09:23 PM »
There are teachers from Marple Hall along Stockport Road from time to time; unfortunately their priority is to disrupt those attempting to sell drugs to their pupils. However the school does try & do some community action suggesting so perhaps a suggestion along those lines wouldn't go amiss.

ringi

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 04:59:47 PM »
But we already have teachers, and the problem is mostly limited to 10 minutes each side of the school day, no different to expecting teachers to do playground duty.

Dave

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 04:23:32 PM »
I find it very disappointing that Marple High School does not send out the children in groups to pick up the litter they have dropped

Nice idea, though it would presumably rely on spotting who had dropped the litter, which could be tricky.  Maybe JMC's solution is the best: 
Good idea. Years ago they used to make students do it as part of detention.

Can't see much sense in this though:
..... or have enough teachers on duty to control the children between Rose Hill Station  (and bus stops) on the way to and from the School.

Teachers are expensively educated and trained and reasonably well paid for what they do.  If you want someone to stand around on street corners waiting for a child to drop a crisp packet you don't have to pay them 40K a year! 

JMC

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 03:59:23 PM »
I find it very disappointing that Marple High School does not send out the children in groups to pick up the litter they have dropped, or have enough teachers on duty to control the children between Rose Hill Station  (and bus stops) on the way to and from the School.

We expect leading fast food companies to short out the litter their customers drops close to their outlets, so why not the school as well?

Good idea. Years ago they used to make students do it as part of detention.

ringi

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 01:42:13 PM »

marveld

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 05:13:53 PM »
I found that kids of Primary School age react positively to a polite request to pick up litter. Based on the responses I've had in the past, I don't bother with teenagers!

EmmyJane Designs

Litter Louts in Marple
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 05:06:42 PM »
In the last 3 weeks I've asked 3 separate people to pick up their dropped litter.
The first was in the Ringer's carpark, where the occupants just threw it out of their car window. The next 2 are pupils at the high school. Luckily the pupils put the litter into the (very nearby) bin. The lads in the car gave me a bit of abuse.
I'm a little scared that one day I'll get thumped, however I  am always polite with a 'please put your litter in the bin' and where I'm given chance a 'thank you'.
If we all asked offenders to do this, there wouldn't be the fear (I hope) and Marple will be a tidier place.