A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: The 'Function' of Marple  (Read 4275 times)

Deniseamb

The 'Function' of Marple
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 12:10:56 PM »
So I am right - in the historical context Marple could never have been described as a market town as it never had a charter.  However this is a geography question.  The function of Marple is described (in my son's notes) as changing from a farming community to a market town to an industrial town and to a dormitory town.  I still disagree with this as in one of the books on Marple it mentions that before Oldknow came along Marple was still just a collection of farms and hamlets.  So even in the georgraphical sense it wasn't a market town before being industrial.  Perhaps you could swop the order around though.  What do you think?

Anyone any good on Spanish Homework?!

sgk

The 'Function' of Marple
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 09:13:53 PM »
Peter is absolutely right :-

At Stone Row a market building was also constructed but Oldknow was unable to obtain a licence to operate, probably due to resistance from Stockport Market, and this was eventually used for further housing.

More details on the Marple UK website, see this Link

wardie

The 'Function' of Marple
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 09:02:36 AM »
Not a direct answer I'm afraid, but a couple of years ago I did find a local book in the library about Marple/Mellor/M.Bridge, which may help.  I certainly went back to the origins of Marple and to the present day.

Hope this helps.

Peter

The 'Function' of Marple
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 06:23:13 PM »
I'm sure I have been told why Market St. is so called, but for the life of me I can't remember, (old age?).
However I can help with the Stone Row bit. If my recollection is correct Samuel Oldknow did build Stone Row with a market in mind but was refused a licence from the local authority. If I have managed to load a picture then the building in the centre is the market hall.

This of course adds credance to deniseamb's argument regarding licences.

The 'Function' of Marple
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 12:25:45 PM »
I can't remember if this came to me in a dream or what.. but.. I thought that once upon a time there used to be some kind of market on Stone Row, just of Oldknow Road.

Please remember though, school was a long time ago for me! and I've eaten a lot of red meat since then!!
 ':laugh:'

Deniseamb

The 'Function' of Marple
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 11:25:24 AM »
My son has a question in his Geography homework - Describe how the  'function' of Marple has changed over the years.

Having difficulty with this in general however one query I have is this.  Could Marple ever have been described as a market town?

My son has written in his book something he took down in class which is that at one time Marple was a market town and the evidence for this is the name 'Market Street'.  

Am I right to dispute this?  I have never seen photos of an actual market on Market Street and I don't think that Marple has ever held a charter to have a Market.  One of our history books says that people took their goods to Stockport Market to sell.  Is the name 'Market' Street in any way related to a market or is it just a common name for a street?