A M Photo-Graphics

Author Topic: What do you call a fish with no eye?  (Read 4869 times)

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
Re: What do you call a fish with no eye?
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 12:13:21 AM »
We have an opportunity to buy another shop - that's all. We did not plan this, and really like Marple. We did not know this was going to happen when we came here a year ago, however things change and this is a good opportunity. If the shop doesn't sell, we are quite happy to stay here as we are doing well, despite what people believe.

Thanks for your comments everyone!

Well I like Whittakers and will be sad if they leave. Marple has 2 or 3 very good chippys, but Whittakers is the only one to stay open 'late'. I feel it would be a loss if they go.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

LT975

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 11:26:14 PM »
I suppose with the nearby traditional pub-chucking-out trade vanishing and most of what would have once have been the passing trade now being in cars, they would be relying on sudden decisions from local householders to have chips for tea which is unreliable at best. And, of course, there is a lot more competition around in the take-away market these days.

Not focusing on this business in particular but there have been several instances in the village where people have bought shops and similar businesses and appear not to have asked themselves why, if the business was viable and prosperous, the current owners are selling up. When I was a girl many, if not most, of the shops were in long-term hands and they only closed when the proprietors retired or died.  The fast turnover of certain businesses in Marple these days is really quite sad.

As to your comment - unfortunately, the VAT regs have killed off the old "eat-in" chippies.

We have an opportunity to buy another shop - that's all. We did not plan this, and really like Marple. We did not know this was going to happen when we came here a year ago, however things change and this is a good opportunity. If the shop doesn't sell, we are quite happy to stay here as we are doing well, despite what people believe.

Thanks for your comments everyone!

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 08:58:08 PM »
Darn.. I liked them - one of the few chip shops you could sit inside and eat.

I suppose with the nearby traditional pub-chucking-out trade vanishing and most of what would have once have been the passing trade now being in cars, they would be relying on sudden decisions from local householders to have chips for tea which is unreliable at best. And, of course, there is a lot more competition around in the take-away market these days.

Not focusing on this business in particular but there have been several instances in the village where people have bought shops and similar businesses and appear not to have asked themselves why, if the business was viable and prosperous, the current owners are selling up. When I was a girl many, if not most, of the shops were in long-term hands and they only closed when the proprietors retired or died.  The fast turnover of certain businesses in Marple these days is really quite sad.

As to your comment - unfortunately, the VAT regs have killed off the old "eat-in" chippies.

TonyHoyle

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 03:32:15 PM »
Darn.. I liked them - one of the few chip shops you could sit inside and eat.

red666bear

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 05:54:01 PM »
They did try with half price chips for one week but like gazwhite its the four bar chippy for me.
Sorry goyt chippy, I hate predictive text!

red666bear

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 05:52:38 PM »
They did try with half price chips for one week but like gazwhite its the four bar chippy for me.

nbt

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 10:28:47 AM »
THeir chippy in CHeadle hulme was excellent. Was delighted to see them open in Marple and tried them a couple of times but for fairly obvious reasons decided to stick with the established favourites, the Goyt Fish Bar up near Goyt Mill and the Town Street Fryer in Marple Bridge. Both excellent
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

Lily

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 10:27:12 PM »
'Gutted' - like their fish.

Harry

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 09:41:53 PM »
That's a shame. Their food is excellent.

gazwhite