Self Catering Holiday Cottages in
Marple, Stockport & Cheshire

Author Topic: Coal mining in c19 near Compstall  (Read 5131 times)

Water Rat

Re: Coal mining in c19 near Compstall
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 07:57:28 PM »
I bought mine at the New Mills Heritage Centre but have seen it for sale at the Marple Bookshop.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Barbara

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 02:29:55 PM »
Henrietta - yes they were operating then.  The place where I worked had a coal fired boiler, and during the miners' strike the Ludworth Moor Colliery were able to supply us with coal to help tide us over.  I think the owners were called Le Fevebre (or something like that) and I am pretty sure they also wrote a book about the mine.

amazon

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 10:19:53 PM »
Hi

Have you seen Derek Brumhead's Coal mining in Marple and Mellor?  It gives a fascinating overview of all the mines with maps.  For example I did not know that the mine shafts and workings  by the Roman Lakes extended almost to Compstall. It also includes information about the Compstall pits running under the road up to the Windsor Castle.

Hope this helps

Anyone know we're I can buy a copy .......

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 09:29:20 PM »
There is somewhere in etherrow country park a information board .telling you about the coal mines .ask at the Rangers office ,.
Allso the large hill behind Compstall cricket club is all shale from the mines .have you asked at the library
For info .wiil have a root round for you .ludworth coal mines they used to be called .
There was a coal mine in private ownership at or near Ludworth still working in the 1980s according to an article in the local paper. IIRC it was operated by a man and his son. Could be mistaken in the details as the old memory ain't what it was!

amazon

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 02:53:56 PM »
Thanks for this, have just reserved a copy via the library service, hadn't heard of this before.

News to me this as well thanks for info .

corium

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 11:22:47 PM »
Thanks for this, have just reserved a copy via the library service, hadn't heard of this before.

Water Rat

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 10:37:44 PM »
Hi

Have you seen Derek Brumhead's Coal mining in Marple and Mellor?  It gives a fascinating overview of all the mines with maps.  For example I did not know that the mine shafts and workings  by the Roman Lakes extended almost to Compstall. It also includes information about the Compstall pits running under the road up to the Windsor Castle.

Hope this helps

amazon

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 01:30:59 PM »
Does anyone have any idea where the Andrews family of Compstall Mills 2 pits were, "Cowlishaw Pit" on lower slopes of Werneth Low and the other somewhere opposite(ish) the late lamented George, called "Rose Pit"?

There is somewhere in etherrow country park a information board .telling you about the coal mines .ask at the Rangers office ,.
Allso the large hill behind Compstall cricket club is all shale from the mines .have you asked at the library
For info .wiil have a root round for you .ludworth coal mines they used to be called .

jacqueline cox

Coal mining in c19 near Compstall
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 12:43:31 PM »
Does anyone have any idea where the Andrews family of Compstall Mills 2 pits were, "Cowlishaw Pit" on lower slopes of Werneth Low and the other somewhere opposite(ish) the late lamented George, called "Rose Pit"?