Wealth Management | S&T Wealth provide portfolio & investment advice

Author Topic: Stockport MBC becomes a little more secure  (Read 12246 times)

Duke Fame

Re: Stockport MBC becomes a little more secure
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2014, 06:26:08 PM »
Wheels seems to have a vested interest. I wonder why?

I think we all have a vested interest in ensuring Labour do not control Stockport, it's called voting.

wheels

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2014, 09:06:37 AM »

Just an interested observer.

chicken lady

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2014, 07:11:29 PM »

wheels

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2014, 03:22:11 PM »
And a third Labour Counillor left the Labour Group on Stockport Council yesterday. Thats 3 in 4 weeks.

Duke Fame

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2014, 11:41:08 PM »
I agree Simone, the one I saw was horrifically. It was a motion on the bedroom tax where a Reddish councillor raised the issue of the bedroom tax, he went on for about 1/2 hr how his constituent was being hard done by re. The bedroom tax, how their life was going to be made intolloerble and for good measure bought the person along. It was pointed out that he was wrong and should have told his constituent of the funding for genuine cases, the answer took 1/2 min. It wasn't really anything to do with local politics but the guy just wanted to get airtime and was happy to use a vulnerable person to get his profile up. It backfired, he looked an idiot but managed to puf his constituent through the wringer.

I really don't think many are in it for the right reasons.  

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2014, 11:49:06 AM »
You can watch them back here if you have the will:

http://www.stockport.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcasts
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

simonesaffron

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2014, 11:06:47 AM »
Somebody that I know ( she's an ex Stockport Councillor) actually watches all the Council Meetings ( I know but it's her life) on the webcasting.

I was in her company over the week-end and she was eager to give everybody a report on the last full Council Meeting which I think took place on Thursday 16th October.

She said that these meetings have been gradually becoming more pointless but that this one was the worst that she has ever witnessed. She said that the Labour Party in particular was appalling, the Tories were little better and the Lib Dems were little better than both of them. Only the Independents came out with any credit and that's because they didn't say anything.

She said that the opposition hardly raised a question to the ruling group and virtually every agenda item went through on the nod. She said you could see the embarrassment on the mayor's face because of the lack of challenge from anywhere. She said that the labour Party raised two pointless motions; one about trains and the other about tax evasion. None of them had anything to do with Stockport. Both motions were defeated by the Lib Dems on amendment. She said that every time somebody spoke it was party politics and abusive personal backbite.

She said that she felt ashamed of them all and that none of it had anything to do with the people of Stockport.

She said that the only consolation was that one of our Marple Councillors (she couldn't remember which one, she's getting on a bit) spoke on the night in an unparty political way and provided the only sense and humour of the whole meeting. She said apart from that she felt let down and disgusted by our so-called representatives.

Please remember these are not my views, I haven't seen it nor do I Intend to. It's her perception of course but although in her late 80's she's no fool. I thought that I 'd share it as it's right on topic. Did anybody else see it?     

Dave

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2014, 05:23:23 PM »
This is an interesting and (perhaps unintentionally) revealing thread. It's so good to know that our elected representatives are working together to tackle the major issues which concern council taxpayers -  education, planning, social care, transport, parks and libraries etc etc - rather than wasting their time on backbiting, infighting and petty squabbles.   ::)

In fact, as Duke correctly observed:
Too many little local authority councilors trying to climb the greasy pole of politics rather than actually wanting to do right by those who vote for them.

wheels

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2014, 01:44:24 PM »
I see that yet another Labour Councillor left the Labour Group/Party on Stockport Council this morning. Thats two in two weeks. Whats going on  ;D

wheels

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 11:06:54 AM »
The Labour party in Stockport are horrendous. I was speaking to one from Reddish who was telling me how terrible the retail offer is in Stockport Town centre and something must be done. I agreed and suggested a meeting with Iain Roberts (who's not too bright but his heart is in the right place) and her response was "No" she will not speak with Lib Dems.

Too many little local authority councilors trying to climb the greasy pole of politics rather than actually wanting to do right by those who vote for them.

Well as there is only one female councillor in Reddish thats intetresting.

simonesaffron

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2014, 06:37:41 PM »
The Labour party in Stockport are horrendous. I was speaking to one from Reddish who was telling me how terrible the retail offer is in Stockport Town centre and something must be done. I agreed and suggested a meeting with Iain Roberts (who's not too bright but his heart is in the right place) and her response was "No" she will not speak with Lib Dems.

You obviously know Cllr Iain Roberts fairly well Duke as I'm sure that you wouldn't offer such an opinion if you didn't.

In this you have the advantage over me as I have yet to meet him. I wonder exactly what his opinion of your brightness is ?

Duke Fame

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2014, 03:57:51 PM »
I see that as well as the Labour Councillor who has quit the Labour group another labour Councillor has asked not to be seated with the Labour Group at tonights Full Council meeting. What a fine opposition force Stockport has.

wheels

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2014, 03:32:19 PM »
I see that as well as the Labour Councillor who has quit the Labour group another labour Councillor has asked not to be seated with the Labour Group at tonights Full Council meeting. What a fine opposition force Stockport has.

wheels

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2014, 03:30:17 PM »
Not sure I understand thatb pos Dave

Dave

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 03:26:56 PM »
As always you would expect some LD gains and a some marginal losses.

I think you'd get good odds on the former and i'd liek to see more LD Mps.

Current odds offered by William Hill on the no of Lib Dem seats after the next General Election:

51 or more     6/1
41 - 50          4/1
31 - 40          9/4
21 - 30          5/2
11 - 20          6/1
0 - 10          12/1

In other words, the bookies think it will be between 20 and 40.   And the bookies are generally right - otherwise they go out of business.