Self Catering Holiday Cottages in
Marple, Stockport & Cheshire

Author Topic: Viaduct Footpath to be closed for 6 months from 15 September  (Read 17663 times)

nbt

Re: Viaduct Footpath to be closed for 6 months from 15 September
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 11:26:46 AM »
the path from the new bridge alongside the river up to Marple Dale nursing home is awful at the moment. The new path up the school is fine though. From my house (near the ring o'bells), going to hyde via chadkirk is actually a tenth of a mile shorter than going though Marple memorial park and along the canal, but it does mean I spend more time on road and there's the climb back up to the canal as well :(
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

wadsterboy

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 11:39:30 PM »
Tweeted at the local Canal Trust account this week, and they said it will be closed until end of Feb! But it will open over the Christmas break, presumably while no work is taking place. Not sure exactly what they class as Christmas break. I often get off train early and run home to Marple, so a pain for me. Best route might be the one across the river near Chadkirk and then the riverside route to Rose Hill. Very muddy even in the summer, so dread to think what it is like now!

nbt

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 08:01:00 PM »
The aqueduct was closed this morning. Goodness only knows when it will be open again

As for cycling on pavements, that's a different discussion. I don't encourage it, but official ACPO guidance is that it should not be a problem if the rider is careful. Going up big hills on busy roads like the road from Compstall to Etherow, or Hempshaw Lane for instance, I think careful riding on the pavement should be OK.

“The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required.
http://www.bikehub.co.uk/featured-articles/cycling-and-the-law/

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 01:44:23 AM »
Does that include horses as well /
I don't know if that particular piece of legislation covers it but yes, it is illegal for horses to be ridden or led on the roadside footpath.

amazon

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 04:35:51 PM »
NBT be careful if you ride your bike on the pavement. "Cycling on footways (a path at the side of a carriageway) is prohibited by Section 72 of the Highway Act 1835, amended by Section 85(1) of the Local Government Act 1888. This is punishable by a fixed penalty notice of £30 under Section 51 and Schedule 3 of the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988." (Quote from the Bike Hub cycling site)

An acquaintance of ours was done for it a while back.

Does that include horses as well /

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 08:18:30 PM »
well, it's still open. A few weeks ago when it was first due to close I stopped on my commute and asked one of the workers what the work would entail. They're repointing the aqueduct, so they'll be building a large scaffolding structure that will overhang and hence block the path.

There's been more activity down there in the past few days, but still no sign of the pat closing. Yesterday morning I asked one of the workmen if he knew when it was going to close but he wasn't able to help. I'm just heaing down there each day and thinking "is this the day when I've got to turn back and head down to Compstall and up that bloody great big hill?" If it comes to that though I'll be riding up the pavement, I don't fancy crawling up that hill in the morning with all the drivers on the way to work
NBT be careful if you ride your bike on the pavement. "Cycling on footways (a path at the side of a carriageway) is prohibited by Section 72 of the Highway Act 1835, amended by Section 85(1) of the Local Government Act 1888. This is punishable by a fixed penalty notice of £30 under Section 51 and Schedule 3 of the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988." (Quote from the Bike Hub cycling site)

An acquaintance of ours was done for it a while back.

nbt

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 12:07:00 PM »
well, it's still open. A few weeks ago when it was first due to close I stopped on my commute and asked one of the workers what the work would entail. They're repointing the aqueduct, so they'll be building a large scaffolding structure that will overhang and hence block the path.

There's been more activity down there in the past few days, but still no sign of the pat closing. Yesterday morning I asked one of the workmen if he knew when it was going to close but he wasn't able to help. I'm just heaing down there each day and thinking "is this the day when I've got to turn back and head down to Compstall and up that bloody great big hill?" If it comes to that though I'll be riding up the pavement, I don't fancy crawling up that hill in the morning with all the drivers on the way to work

tonyjones

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 10:57:12 AM »
The river and canal trust have a notice;
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/1050/marple-aqueduct
 that gives dates of closure, and reasons.

nbt

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 09:46:41 AM »
A copy of the letter and map were attached at a tree at the marple end of the aqueduct at one point. About four weeks ago, they vanished. The towpath is still open, I've ridden it this morning. I'm not usre if this means they're not going to do anything or if they're re-doing the documenation with the correct map or if they're just not closing the towpath until work actually begins. Would be nice to confirm though, I might call Stockport ROW later

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 04:30:21 PM »
I have sent an email to Stockport Council suggesting the following:-

If the work is on the aqueduct surely the canal towpath should remain open to the Grosvenor Road FP58M/entry point to the park from the canal! You then drop into Brabyns Park cross the park to  Bridleway 11 Bredbury and Romiley Rollins Lane from the Iron Bridge to Compstall. Cross the River Etherow on the road bridge at Compstall then double back following the northern bank of the river on FP15BR and FP16BR bottom of Watermeetings Lane to come back under the  aqueduct to rejoin the canal on the western side of the river. This route is much shorter, uses Brabyns Park and follows footpaths or bridleways for its entire length (other than the road bridge over the river) and is much preferable to a marathon treck on the main road.

The notice says the work is on the Viaduct, although I wouldn't be surprised if they meant the aqueduct! I think this is all very confusing and should be clarified by the council. Please let us know if you get a reply.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

nbt

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 12:21:25 PM »
Never mind on foot - I use the canal towpath on my commute to Hyde by bicycle so that I don't have to drop down into the valley and climb back out again (and so do a few other people that I know) so closing the viaduct itself will have a massive impact

Well, unless they do it in winter when it's too muddy and horrible to commute by bike anyway  ;)

That diversion seems very long too. There are several shorter alternatives,e.g. through Brabyn's park and over the Iron Bridge, or over the bridge on the other side of the cutting here

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=395280&Y=390106&A=Y&Z=115

the only reasons I can see that they would recommend such a long diversion are

1) they have to use footpaths indicated on the definitive map, and those mentioned above are not actually shown on the definitive map (else they'd show on the streetmap link)

or

2) they are shutting the towpath between the viaduct and the bridge outside the industrial estate

Hope that it's the former not the latter

marplerambler

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 12:19:01 PM »
I have sent an email to Stockport Council suggesting the following:-

If the work is on the aqueduct surely the canal towpath should remain open to the Grosvenor Road FP58M/entry point to the park from the canal! You then drop into Brabyns Park cross the park to  Bridleway 11 Bredbury and Romiley Rollins Lane from the Iron Bridge to Compstall. Cross the River Etherow on the road bridge at Compstall then double back following the northern bank of the river on FP15BR and FP16BR bottom of Watermeetings Lane to come back under the  aqueduct to rejoin the canal on the western side of the river. This route is much shorter, uses Brabyns Park and follows footpaths or bridleways for its entire length (other than the road bridge over the river) and is much preferable to a marathon treck on the main road.

hollins

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 01:39:45 PM »
As Admin and Corium have noted, the key seems to be completely the wrong way round and there is no obvious reason to close this length of unrelated towpath - there are hardly going to be any works vehicles on it. The diversion is also extremely long if you are on foot and didn't find out until you got to the footpath closure.

corium

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 10:30:45 AM »
I must agree the key does seem to be the wrong way round

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 06:39:58 AM »
It is most strange that there there is not a map accompanying the order on display at the site..........

There was but the person who sent it to me didn't include the map originally. They've sent it now and I must confess to be completely confused by it.

Is the key the right way round? Solid line closed and dotted line is the diversion? If so it looks to me like the canal towpath and under the viaduct is the diversion and the route that is closed is all through the streets of Marple Bridge, Compstall and Romiley.

If the key was the other way around then it would make more sense, however, why would the entire length of the canal need to be closed if it is for works on the viaduct.

Am I being thick? Can anyone explain the error of my interpretation please?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website