Marple Glass and Glazing

Author Topic: Viaduct Footpath to be closed for 6 months from 15 September  (Read 17730 times)

nbt

Re: Viaduct Footpath to be closed for 6 months from 15 September
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2015, 03:55:39 PM »
The barriers were removed on Friday and I happily cycled straight through on my commute to and from work. They were also absent on Monday when a colleague ran to work and home (Disley to Hyde - now that deserves respect!). They were back this morning though, blocking access to the towpath at both sides *cough*
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

EmmyJane Designs

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 12:58:58 PM »
There is a piece on this tonight on 'BBC Northwest Tonight' programme. Which normally starts at 6.30 pm. BBC 1.

CTCREP

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2015, 03:49:32 PM »
Yes, apologies, it does say the footpath is closed, I had only read the bit about the navigation restriction. However, as I said, we walked along the tow path only a week ago without encountering anyone working there or any obstructions, so it will be up to those who use it to keep us informed.

hollins

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2015, 08:18:54 PM »
The link posted above refers to navigation over the aqueduct, not necessarily relevant to walking.

The link says that the towpath is closed. That is definitely relevant to walking - the alternative is to swim!

CTCREP

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2015, 04:46:31 PM »
Although the period quoted is from the Official Notice, we walked over the aqueduct only a week ago. At the time there was no work going on. The link posted above refers to navigation over the aqueduct, not necessarily relevant to walking.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2015, 01:09:23 PM »
I've moved NBT's post to this thread (http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=6002.0) but the quoted bit below is relevant to the Aqueduct:

Marple Aqueduct at the bottom of the locks will remain closed until the end of March

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/2108/marple-aqueduct
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

wadsterboy

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2015, 09:33:56 PM »
What it *looks* like they are doing is opening it at weekend, or at least that is what was happening pre-Xmas. I am not sure what they do once they finish the work at night... don't want to get all that way to find it closed!

I notice that at the moment they have actually fenced off the public footpath diversion that goes under the aquaduct and viaduct and up towards Cherry Tree Estate. I hopped over the fence (with baby daughter in backpack, hope the wife isn't reading!) and ignored it the other day... not sure they have advised anyone of that?

nbt

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2014, 03:40:17 PM »
It was open yesterday (Monday 29th), I understand it's open over the christmas period but wil be closed when work resumes - not sure if that will be Monday 5th perhaps?
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

Barbara

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2014, 08:37:20 AM »
It was open on Boxing Day - don't know about today though.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2014, 08:14:19 AM »
Can anyone advise if the towpath across the Aqueduct is currently open or closed please?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

tonyjones

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2014, 07:39:02 PM »
Some years ago, probably around 25 years ago !, the river did come over the path just below the lower farm. My daughter dropped her glasses in the water, we never found them.

Since then the weir has collapsed so the water level is now a lot lower.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2014, 05:20:11 AM »
I've never heard of the riverside path from Marple Dale farm to the weir/Chadkirk bridge "flooding". I was under the impression that the school route was chosen since there was a problem between the land owner(s) and the council reaching an agreement. Negotiations had dragged on to such an extent that the council feared they may lose funding, hence the change in route. I was told this by councillor Martin Candler.

That is exactly my understanding too @marveld
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

marveld

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2014, 12:59:37 AM »
When Connect2 - the route between Rosehill and Otterspool Bridge, was first discussed the Council was opposed to improving the riverside path owing to it occasionally flooding, so the Marple Hall route was chosen.

I've never heard of the riverside path from Marple Dale farm to the weir/Chadkirk bridge "flooding". I was under the impression that the school route was chosen since there was a problem between the land owner(s) and the council reaching an agreement. Negotiations had dragged on to such an extent that the council feared they may lose funding, hence the change in route. I was told this by councillor Martin Candler.

CTCREP

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2014, 02:08:41 PM »
When Connect2 - the route between Rosehill and Otterspool Bridge, was first discussed the Council was opposed to improving the riverside path owing to it occasionally flooding, so the Marple Hall route was chosen. Due to increased use with residents now having a pleasant round trip on offer the path has generally been in better condition than before, but I suspect the Council will still be opposed to improving matters.

As to the discussion on Riding Cycles on Pavements. Local cyclists have had several attempts at getting an alternative route up Otterspool Road from Otterspool Bridge ( I realise its not Compstall Brow ), but the Highways Department's response has been " nobody has been killed there yet, so it is not dangerous" and they don't have to do anything!!! I had an experienced cycling friend who lived on Overdale Rd who took to riding on the pavement between home and Marple Rd and was warned off by the police ( yes legally it is wrong ) so would ride into Romiley and down to Chadkirk - probably a 2 mile diversion just to bypass that section. Regrettably with a Council that treats its residents in that manner is it little wonder some cyclists take to the pavements for their own safety. Perhaps more people should support the cyclists.

wadsterboy

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2014, 12:29:25 PM »
Yes, I found out how bad it was Wednesday evening! Luckily, it had started to frost up so some bits I managed to 'glide' over, but other bits I sunk into up to my ankles. New route is about 8 mins longer (running quite slowly), went down to canal near paper mill, cut through woods and down to Chadkirk, over new bridge, through the bog, and up towards Rose Hill. Not too bad, but will be glad when the canal re-opens!