Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Viaduct Footpath to be closed for 6 months from 15 September  (Read 17727 times)

Snowball

Re: Viaduct Footpath to be closed for 6 months from 15 September
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2015, 03:36:02 PM »
Thanks

hollins

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2015, 09:31:47 PM »
Does anyone know if the towpath is now permanently open ?

The towpath, canal lining and parapet repointing are all finished, so everything is fully open. However, there is still shuttering in place for concrete on the other side, and the surface on that side is still broken up. It looks like they have yet to reach a decision over railings and might put another closure in place at some time in the future. Its quite a dangerous place to work.

Condate

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2015, 07:52:59 PM »
My dad is 87 and he still says Marple, Cheshire.  ;)

Quite right too. As far as I'm concerned (and I'm a long way off 87), the motto of Marple should be  "Cheshire before; Cheshire now; Cheshire forever". Marple's history is with Cheshire and I very much hope its future is with Cheshire. Perhaps that's because I was born in Cheshire, as were my parents, grandparents, great grandparents, great great grandparents and most of my great great great grandparents (two of them were southerners).  I try to avoid crossing the Mersey into foreign parts if at all possible, but it's not always possible  :)

corium

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2015, 07:04:03 PM »
I walked it Sunday & no sign of any residual workings ( though the railings aren't yet up)

Snowball

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2015, 04:28:25 PM »
Does anyone know if the towpath is now permanently open ?

marveld

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2015, 07:48:06 PM »
Try telling the Post Office that.  A couple of years ago I had a Christmas card addressed to xxxxx Marple, Greater Manchester, which was first postmarked in early December and which arrived at the end of January. It had been re-directed by various offices 4 times with the last note being "TRY MARPLE IN CHESHIRE" (The PO's capitals not mine).

A Royal Mail cock-up indeed. However, we both know that a letter addressed to Marple should have a postcode prefixed with "SK6" (Marple, Stockport). My dad is 87 and he still says Marple, Cheshire.  ;)

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2015, 06:25:28 PM »
As they said on TV and also on the above link: "The highest aqueduct in England, which happens to be in Cheshire, is undergoing a major facelift."

It isn't in Cheshire. I've said it before, but the Marple Website doesn't help matters: "Welcome to the FIRST and BEST community web site for Marple and District, in Cheshire UK"

Marple IS NOT in Cheshire. Stop pretending it still is.

At least the Wikipedia entry bears the truth: "Marple is a small town within the Metropolitan Borough of Stockport, in Greater Manchester, England. It lies on the River Goyt southeast of Stockport. Historically in Cheshire, Marple has a population of 23,686 (2011 Census)."
Try telling the Post Office that.  A couple of years ago I had a Christmas card addressed to xxxxx Marple, Greater Manchester, which was first postmarked in early December and which arrived at the end of January. It had been re-directed by various offices 4 times with the last note being "TRY MARPLE IN CHESHIRE" (The PO's capitals not mine).

nbt

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2015, 03:32:50 PM »
I've been commuting over the viaduct for a few weeks now, it's always open early morning (before 8 ) and later in the afternoon (after 5). Work is being done as I have seen changes occurring over the last fews days, e.g. footpath resurfacing
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

wadsterboy

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2015, 11:37:21 AM »
Went for a run yesterday about 2.30pm and it was all open with no-one working. It doesn't look finished yet, though, so I expect you can't always get through access.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2015, 07:43:43 AM »
A few more photos from yesterday's media visit taken by David Burridge are now on line:

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-44
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

sgk

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2015, 09:29:41 PM »
As they said on TV and also on the above link: "The highest aqueduct in England, which happens to be in Cheshire, is undergoing a major facelift."

It isn't in Cheshire. I've said it before, but the Marple Website doesn't help matters: "Welcome to the FIRST and BEST community web site for Marple and District, in Cheshire UK"

At least the Wikipedia entry bears the truth: "Marple is a small town within the Metropolitan Borough of Stockport, in Greater Manchester, England. It lies on the River Goyt southeast of Stockport. Historically in Cheshire, Marple has a population of 23,686 (2011 Census)."

Feature about Marple in Cheshire Life magazine.
So must be in Cheshire.  Newspapers and magazines never lie or get anything wrong.
http://www.cheshirelife.co.uk/out-about/places/what_the_locals_really_think_of_marple_and_marple_bridge_1_3902935

marveld

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2015, 07:45:23 PM »
Granada Reports, report here...

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/

scroll down the page, for 2 minutes worth of coverage.

MLHS

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2015, 06:49:33 PM »
Granada Reports, report here...

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/

scroll down the page, for 2 minutes worth of coverage.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2015, 06:03:46 PM »
Photos of TV interviews now on the Virtual Tour:

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-44

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2015, 04:36:34 PM »
There is a piece on this tonight on 'BBC Northwest Tonight' programme. Which normally starts at 6.30 pm. BBC 1.

I understand it is also on Granada Reports at 6pm, BBC, as @EmmyJane Designs says, at 6.30pm and also Radio Manchester and Manchester Evening News.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website